Panasonic TH46PZ81B to a TX-L47ET61B worth it?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Apnomis, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted on here but yesterday I spotted the L47ET61 in JL whilst picking up a new Samsung LED SmartTV for the bedroom and it got me wondering if it was time to upgrade my living room TV...

There is nothing wrong with the 46PZ81 I have currently, and I could potentially sell it on (is there still a market for old school plasma's in this super-flat LED world, whats the going rate?), but I was really taken with the look of the ET61 in JL.

Would this be a sensible, low cost, upgrade to my current set or would I be sacrificing quality for image?

I've not really got the funds at the moment to drop £2K on a TV like I've done in my past few upgrades and I'm wondering if this would be a good interim refresh for a couple of years until the OLEDs or 4K TV's come down in price?

Anyone upgraded a PZ81 lately, or own a ET61 that could offer advice to tempt me?

I mainly use the TV for HD content from VM's TiVO service, and for games and movies (both streamed and blu-ray) from my PS3. I have it configured to give a natural picture with all the gimmicks switched off, and using 24p and full frame etc. I find the PQ spot on for both gaming and TV. I always use my surround system for sound quality from the TV isn't an issue.

I'm not sure where we are up to with LED PQ, is this TV cheap because it was before they got good? Or would I be hard pressed to tell the difference on day to day viewing? Would I be better waiting another 9 months or so until the current new models drop to the sub-£1K price range?

I'm not loyal to Panasonic though, so if there are better value options out there I'm open to ideas...

Main things I would want from an upgrade would be an attractive frameless design, passive 3D support (I want the option of occasional 3D viewing, but I want to be able to use my cinema specs for a crowd - the whole expensive flickering battery-powered need to make sure they're charged glasses killed home 3D before it started IMO), and SmartTV functions would be a bonus but not a complete deal breaker. Obviously the PQ would need to be as good a possible and work well with gaming without needing to reconfigure loads of settings before I start...

For £699 the TX-L47ET61B seems like a really good option, especially with the 5 year warranty included in the price.

I am concerned that a frameless 47" would look smaller than my current bulky 46" though, and I'm even wondering whether I could squeeze in the TX-L55ET61B (the 50" would have been ideal but JL don't do a version in that size). The 55" version is £999 though - would the extra 8" give enough wow factor to justify the extra £300?

So to summarise do I:

a) wait it out and stick with my current P81 and enjoy the old school plasma PQ without the modern day gimmicks until the latest sets come down in price
    b) make a sideways upgrade to the 47ET61 and enjoy the sleek design and 3D options for a relatively low price
    c) make an upgrade to the 55ET61 and bask in the glow of a giant 3D compatible screen that dominates the corner of the living room
    d) jump ship from Panasonic and drop £700-1000 on another screen...

Any help or advise would be most welcome... :smashin:

2. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    The ET61 will be a backwards step potentially in terms of black levels, motion handling, gaming lag and viewing angles versus a very good plasma

Look at the st60 and gt60 plasmas, latter better but £1200 for 50"

3. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    So it sounds like things haven't really moved on since last time I was shopping for a TV and plasma is still the king. Such a shame Panasonic have pulled the plug on them...

The GT60 is tempting as it's going to be the last time I could get a quality plasma panel from Panasonic, and the bigger size with 3D and smart tech should see me through until there is a viable alternative to plasma. The only down side is that the 3D is Active rather than passive, but I suppose I could live with that as it's only for occasional viewing.

One thing I would question though - is the quality of the GT60 really worth paying double the price of a 50" LG 3D SmartTV Plasma panel currently available at Currys? Buy LG 50PH670V Smart 3D 50" Plasma TV | Free Delivery | Currys

I'm thinking I'll go back to sticking my head in the sand and have a look round in another few years to see what's out there...

4. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    The lg really doesn't come close. There's feedback on all in the plasma forum

£1200 if keeping for 5 years isn't too bad. Find a pukka Panasonic dealer and look at the options

John Lewis sell the lg, good returns policy, could take a punt and return if not happy

5. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I thought you might say that!

So do I wait, go down the GT60 route, or accept a hit to PQ as a sign of the times and get the LED...

Decisions, decisions...

6. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Don't wait long, there are virtually no 50gt60s left. Another option is the 55st60, same sort of money. Also dwindling stocks

Best led this year, sony 55w905, around £1600

7. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well just to update I've decided to wait (was struggling to find any non-refurb/ex-display stock of the GT60 anyway) - having researched some more the Sony 55W905 looks like a stunning TV and I can't imagine not being as impressed with the PQ once I got it home even compared to my plasma. It's currently available for £1500 with a 5 year warranty and 4 pairs of glasses, and there is apparently 3D starter pack for around £60 with some 3D movies and 2 additional pairs of glasses. I think I will leave it a few more months until the price edges nearer to the £1000-£1200 mark though.

Having said that further research has uncovered that there is a 55W955 model, which apparently the 2014 version and would appear to use passive glasses and is already available for a lower price. Not managed to find a direct comparison between the W905 and W955 yet though - hence why I'm back here searching!

8. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    It is likely that there will be no new 55w905 models left in a few months, so you'll be looking at the 2014 replacements

9. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I know, I meant when stores started getting down to the last few they might be tempted to discount - could be wishful thinking on my part though. Just need to wait for the reviews of the the W955 to roll in now...

10. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    I have bee well informed Currys will have a new batch of W9s at 55" ;)

My brother went from a PZ81 to an ST60 and hes very happy....then he has gone 65".

The W9 is a very good set, not as good as a GT60 though IMO.