Panasonic TH46PZ80B

DaveLeach

Standard Member
Reaction score
looking at buying one of the above, people at work rave about there panny sets.
i have seen it on JL with a 5 yrs warranty.
just a couple of questions,
is there a big difference in power consumption between a plasma and lcd?
will it be safe to play games on this set?

It is safe to play games on the Panny plasmas, just don't overdo it for the first month or so.I play PS3/360 games on my 46PZ80 and have no problems at all.
As for power consumption, plasmas generally use more but the difference is not massive between LCD's.A plasma uses more power when bright pictures are on screen and less with dark pictures.An LCD uses the same amount of power no matter what is on screen.

Just one more thing, it is worth noting that Costco are selling the 46PZ80 for £770 and this comes with a really good 5 year guarantee.This offer starts on Monday (with a vouchure)

I'm looking to get the 46PZ80. Can you let me know how I can get hold of the advertised offer price (£770 incl 5 year warranty & VAT?) from Costco to see if I can price match at JL. I looked at their web site but no product info. Thanks

I'm looking to get the 46PZ80. Can you let me know how I can get hold of the advertised offer price (£770 incl 5 year warranty & VAT?) from Costco to see if I can price match at JL. I looked at their web site but no product info. Thanks
They wont match Costco, it's not open to the public.

Because LCD's use florescent back-lighting to produce images, they require substantially less power to operate than plasmas do. LCD TVs consume about half the power that plasma displays consume. The reason: Plasmas use a lot of electricity to light each and every pixel you see on a screen - even the dark ones. Though plasma manufacturers have improved voltage consumption requirements in recent models.

The amount of energy you use is measured in kilowatt hours (kWh). One kWh (also termed a unit of electricity) is the simple equivalent of 1000 watts used for a period of one hour. If you wish to calculate an appliance's exact electricity consumption simply divide its wattage by one thousand and multiply by the number of hours it is used and 13.95 pence (UK average).

Now, assuming you’re watching TV 6 hours every day.

The cost of running a Samsung 52” LCD (200 Watts):
200watt/1000 x 6hours x 13.95 pence = £0.16 per day (£61.10 per year)

and the cost of Samsung 50” plasma (324 Watts) will be:
324watt/1000 x 6 hours x 13.95pence = £0.27 per day (£98.98 per year)

Approx. £0.50 should be added to yearly totals for the consumption of "stand by mode".

Saved about 40 quid in a year with LCD television based on above calculation. Maybe not worth so much.

Electricity costs are not that simple for plasmas, as the wattage they use depends upon the brightness of the scene. The wattage on the box is peak wattage. LCDs consume the same wattage no matter what is on the screen.

£40 a year?

Equivalent to:
That's a meal out for 2 (just)
Almost a tank of fuel
3 Blu ray discs
PS3 game
and depending on how much you earn (after tax), half a day at home off from work doing nothing but watching TV!

Also forgot to include the ethical part of being greener to the environment.

right then guys, i hope to purchase this tv 2mora, from costco. £770 inc vat with a 5 year guarantee.
is this a good deal, are there any better around at the moment?
this is a good set from what i can gather from reading on here.
does anyone know the approx size of box?
and will i have to transport it in the upright position, or it be laid down?
i have a vectra hatchback, hoping it will fit

hi,can someone please advise me,when im watching sky on this tv there is always a little logo in the top left corner displaying the channel name,ie sky1 or dave etc.
as they are permanent,could they cause the burn i read about from a still image being displayed?
is there any way of removing them?
top tv by the way and at the prices you boys are quoting its a bargain!
cheers!

hi,can someone please advise me,when im watching sky on this tv there is always a little logo in the top left corner displaying the channel name,ie sky1 or dave etc.
as they are permanent,could they cause the burn i read about from a still image being displayed?
is there any way of removing them?
top tv by the way and at the prices you boys are quoting its a bargain!
cheers!

u cant unless you zoom the pciture out. Is your tv in cinema mode (not dynamic?)

I think Costco offer a 3 year warranty as standard, not 5 year.

I think Costco offer a 3 year warranty as standard, not 5 year.

Definitely 5 year, but this is store based and not insurance backed so if Costco went down, so would your guarantee. Also, as they do not accept payment by credit card, you would not be covered by the Consumer Credit Act.

A bit of a gamble then, but at this price possibly worth it?

Indeed - I was tempted, but 46" was gonna be a little too big for my room, and for £599, I couldn't resist the 42PZ80!

599 for a 42PZ80?? Where from? The cheapest I have seen these is 700 quid.
Are you sure you don't mean the 42PX80?

Indeed - I was tempted, but 46" was gonna be a little too big for my room, and for £599, I couldn't resist the 42PZ80!

Hi mate,

Where are you getting the 42PZ80 from sounds like a deal to me. I'll run out and get one now for that price. :clap:

TotalNoob / Belgrade, check out the various JL threads about the 42PZ80.

Set mine up yesterday, the only disappointing thing is my Denon 1909 isn't working!!!!!!!

I originally purchased at £699 (which you can still gett from JL Glasgow) but got £100 refunded after JL Watford sold at this price. However, I don't think anyone has got the £599 price.

Grrr just spoke to JL Glasgow and Watford, Watford had it at 599 up till the 27th Jan as they were price matching locally now 717 in Watford and 699 Glasgow. :thumbsdow:(

can anyone answer my questions pls?

can anyone answer my questions pls?

Dave

Yes this is a good deal, probably the best you will see on such a good screen for a long time.

Size of box: http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-h...80-dmpbd35-blu-ray-costco-members-only-2.html

Yes you have to transport this upright, probably won't fit in a Vectra unless you take it out of the box and strap it to your back seat.

Hope that helps

Ben

wohow many each costco have in stock? hopefully plenty

The one I visited yesterday had a grand total of 3 but they hoped to have more in stock ready for Monday.

I will be there at 10am to bag one for my father-in-law:thumbsup:

3 ***!!! thats pathetic. wat costco was that? individual members cant get in until 12!! think i may miss out

3 ***!!! thats pathetic. wat costco was that? individual members cant get in until 12!! think i may miss out

Costco usually have loads of stock for the voucher sales.They had loads of the PX8's a few months ago.If you get there for 12 I am sure you would get one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom