PANASONIC TH42PZ81B - Buzzing noise from cooling fans

metritti

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m looking to change my current plasma in a few weeks time to the PANASONIC TH42PZ81B and I need some advice.

I had identified the Panasonic as an ideal replacement especially with it’s in built Freesat receiver but have been alarmed to read a couple of customer reviews on the ‘reevoo’ website which make mention of a loud buzzing noise from the cooling fans.

I am now having serious reservations with regards to this purchase based on my previous experiences.

My first plasma 2.5 years ago was the Hitachi 42PD 9700 of which I swapped several models and eventually had to get rid of because they made a loud high pitched whining noise (this has been widely documented on numerous posts within A V forums).

I swapped this model for a Pioneer PDP 4270 XD but that turned out to suffer from ‘dirty screen effect’ which has also been commented on widely within the A V forums (it is particularly annoying when watching football as it shows up especially against a green background such as a football pitch).

As you can imagine I’m anxious not to repeat the previous mistakes made and need to get an idea if this ‘loud buzzing’ is a common or known problem so I can make an informed decision. To be fair to my current Pioneer it makes a buzzing noise at an acceptably low level i.e. can only hear it if you’re up close to the set.

Hi guys, I’m looking to change my current plasma in a few weeks time to the PANASONIC TH42PZ81B and I need some advice.

I had identified the Panasonic as an ideal replacement especially with it’s in built Freesat receiver but have been alarmed to read a couple of customer reviews on the ‘reevoo’ website which make mention of a loud buzzing noise from the cooling fans.

I am now having serious reservations with regards to this purchase based on my previous experiences.

My first plasma 2.5 years ago was the Hitachi 42PD 9700 of which I swapped several models and eventually had to get rid of because they made a loud high pitched whining noise (this has been widely documented on numerous posts within A V forums).

I swapped this model for a Pioneer PDP 4270 XD but that turned out to suffer from ‘dirty screen effect’ which has also been commented on widely within the A V forums (it is particularly annoying when watching football as it shows up especially against a green background such as a football pitch).

As you can imagine I’m anxious not to repeat the previous mistakes made and need to get an idea if this ‘loud buzzing’ is a common or known problem so I can make an informed decision. To be fair to my current Pioneer it makes a buzzing noise at an acceptably low level i.e. can only hear it if you’re up close to the set.
i am also considering this little problem

Loads of these 42 inch panny 81b tv owners have not commented on the noise so im sticking with the majority.

Also i pump up the volume enough anyway !!

lol

I've got the 46" version. The fans are audible when the volume is muted - low-pitched humming noise.
As soon as I turn up the volume enough to hear the program (too low to actually understand voices), the fan noise is completely masked.

The '81B fan noise is less intrusive than the inverter whine of my old Samsung LCD TV.

I've got the 46" version. The fans are audible when the volume is muted - low-pitched humming noise.
As soon as I turn up the volume enough to hear the program (too low to actually understand voices), the fan noise is completely masked.

The '81B fan noise is less intrusive than the inverter whine of my old Samsung LCD TV.

Yeah clockworks.

But what about the people that buy a TV and watch with the sound turned completely down?

or the people that buy a TV and then stand right next to it with the sound turned down listening to the fans at the back of the machine?

That was a joke by the way but you get my point? :rotfl:

I think you have to consider the fact that most PZ81's are fairly new and others are talking about sets they had for a couple of years...
I'm sure as the fans gather dust over time, the sound will get louder.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm going to look at a couple of these Z81Bs at my local John Lewis and Dixons stores.

I can't believe that if this was a major problem that it wouldn't have received the comments as were made with my Hitachi 42PD 9700 (loud high pitched whining noise) and current Pioneer PDP 4270 XD (‘dirty screen effect’) which as I've said have both been widely documented on numerous posts within A V forums. :confused:

I'm guessing that just like my current Pioneer that at any normal volume levels that this will mask out any 'normal' plasma buzzing sounds.

Because of the positive professional reviews given and the lack of any negative posts within informed forums such as this one I'm inclined to stick with my initial choice and purchase one ... with built in Freesat it seems to be a no brainer at this price point! :smashin:

I think you have to consider the fact that most PZ81's are fairly new and others are talking about sets they had for a couple of years...

Good point. People need to make sure they clean the back of their telly on a regular basis to try and minimise the amount of dirt getting in.

Do other Plasmas have fans at the back? If they do this dirt problem would also apply to other brands?

most plasmas have fans to keep the set cool, i have the pz81 and while the sound of the fans are audible when there is no volume, with normal listening levels you cant hear them.....i somehow doubt the Panny sets are equiped with "high quality" fans due to cost, so expect the sound of the fans to get worse as they age and dust gathers....i do remember the 8g no full hd sets didnt have fans.

I can only hear it when the TV is mute.
My only concern is that maybe in the future as more dust is getting in that could cause a problem and also get noisier ..like with fans in computers.
I wish there was a way to replace them or cleaning them. I haven't look yet how hard is to open the case and reach them.
I also think what I heard when mute is one of them wich makes a higher pitch noise. The second one starting from the left when looking at the front of the TV.

If my fans get louder over say a few years it won't matter as I probably change, on average, my TV every 3 years or so. Obviously it may be a problem for those who keep their sets a very long time due to cash etc, assuming that the fans will go louder over time.

I can only hear it when the TV is mute.
My only concern is that maybe in the future as more dust is getting in that could cause a problem and also get noisier ..like with fans in computers.
I wish there was a way to replace them or cleaning them. I haven't look yet how hard is to open the case and reach them.
I also think what I heard when mute is one of them wich makes a higher pitch noise. The second one starting from the left when looking at the front of the TV.

I am not having a go at you here but instead of worrying about the fans getting louder in the future just enjoy your TV now. If the fans do get louder over time and if they begin to affect your viewing pleasure from normal viewing distance when the set isn't on mute then get in touch with Panasonic. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hmmm. Don´t understand your point. :thumbsdow
Did I say I don't enjoy it?
Someone asked about the fans noise and I am telling him my experience with my set.
Well sometimes when somebody is sleeping in the other room late at night and I want to play a game on the console. When is on mute , the noise it is a bit annoying.

I am not having a go at you here but instead of worrying about the fans getting louder in the future just enjoy your TV now. If the fans do get louder over time and if they begin to affect your viewing pleasure from normal viewing distance when the set isn't on mute then get in touch with Panasonic. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is one of my minor concerns when i get my 46inch panasonic plasma,

how safe would it be to use a vacumn cleaner on the fans either running or turned off.

This is one of my minor concerns when i get my 46inch panasonic plasma,

how safe would it be to use a vacumn cleaner on the fans either running or turned off.

I recall reading a horror story a while back but the details have slipped my memory but it was to the effect that there is an electrical charge at the entrance to the tube of a vacum cleaner tube due to friction of x million volts (some crazy sounding figure anyway) So sticking a vacum near expensive electrical equipment such as a computer or TV innards is a big no no (sorry for vaugness but you get the idea)

Hmmm. Don´t understand your point. :thumbsdow
Did I say I don't enjoy it?
Someone asked about the fans noise and I am telling him my experience with my set.
Well sometimes when somebody is sleeping in the other room late at night and I want to play a game on the console. When is on mute , the noise it is a bit annoying.

Apologies for misunderstanding, Yeah you're right I don't know whether or not you are enjoying it now so sorry, no offence intended.

Playing your console late at night with the sound muted won't matter if you have an Xbox 360 as it makes a right raquet :D

But seriously my main point is this:

the possibility of fans getting louder shouldnt put anyone off buying this TV. For me I don't worry about things which may or may not happen. If people buy this TV and find, for whatever reason, that they have a problem with it then they, as per consumer rights, should get in touch with Panasonic to try and find a solution. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom