Panasonic TH42PZ80 thread -part 2

Depending on the channel, the tv show the same garbage that it shows then there are signal problems, or it a message that says "no signal" appear on screen.

The channels reappear as soon as I turn off the xbox. There's no need to switch the tv off and then on again.

It seems to be that something the xbox is sending to the tv via hdmi is confusing it...

Depending on the channel, the tv show the same garbage that it shows then there are signal problems, or it a message that says "no signal" appear on screen.

The channels reappear as soon as I turn off the xbox. There's no need to switch the tv off and then on again.

It seems to be that something the xbox is sending to the tv via hdmi is confusing it...

Just a suggestion, but does the HDMI lead run near to the aerial lead? And have you tried another HDMI lead?

moving the aerial far from from the hdmi cable solved the problem :D

Thx!

moving the aerial far from from the hdmi cable solved the problem :D

Thx!

If you do need to run the cables close together in the future, you could try upgrading the HDMI cable to one with better screening.

Hi Macvaio, can you tell me the date you bought your TV from JL. It looks like it was after me which should mean it should fall under the 28 day price match I think JL offer (some of you other guys can confirm if I'm right on this or not?). If so, then anyone that has bought that TV from JL 28 days prior to your date should be eligible for refunds.

Heres hoping!! ;)

I'm in the same boat as you mate and hoping something comes up. However, I think unless you challenge them about it at the time when an actual offer is on they won't do it. Should chance your arm and give them a bell....I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow :)

I'm in the same boat as you mate and hoping something comes up. However, I think unless you challenge them about it at the time when an actual offer is on they won't do it. Should chance your arm and give them a bell....I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow :)
JL will give you a refund if you can find the same set in stock, on display, with a price ticket, in any store in the UK. But they dont do retrospective offers.

Yeah, I realise that they won't do a deal that was on prior to you buying a TV, but do they not do something if the item appears at a lower price 28 days following purchase? I'm sure I've seen this on a thread somewhere on the forums here.

They will offer a pricematch before you buy it, you just have to speak to the undersales dept.

Yeah, I realise that they won't do a deal that was on prior to you buying a TV, but do they not do something if the item appears at a lower price 28 days following purchase? I'm sure I've seen this on a thread somewhere on the forums here.
Correct. Pricematches can still be made upto 28 days after purchase. And you can have more than one pricematch, too.

As many gamers probably know GOW 2 is not the most colourful game in the world and has so many dark scenes with an incredible
amount of greys i find playing the game on my old LCD incredibly dull.

Can anyone tell me how does the 42PZ80 perform with displaying greys
and general black/shadow detailing?

I took a picture of gears 2 playing through HDMI 1080P on my PZ80. BTW i took this with my camera phone, so picture quality is rubbish but you can see to some affect the excellent colour reproduction and black levels of the PZ80.

Last edited:
JL will give you a refund if you can find the same set in stock, on display, with a price ticket, in any store in the UK. But they dont do retrospective offers.

i think thats what I meant in a round about way. So is there anywhere that is selling it for less than 699? I'm not completely up to date on the thread so may have missed something

image.php

I'm also interested in picking up this TV, especially if the more noticable afterimage effects dissapear after a few hundred hours of burning in (otherwise I might notice it and become frustrated!)

The JL price of 699 was perfect for me, but as this seems to have gone, does anyone know what the current price is, or the cheapest place? The 46 is too big for me at Costco, even though I am a member.

I'm also interested in picking up this TV, especially if the more noticable afterimage effects dissapear after a few hundred hours of burning in (otherwise I might notice it and become frustrated!)

The JL price of 699 was perfect for me, but as this seems to have gone, does anyone know what the current price is, or the cheapest place? The 46 is too big for me at Costco, even though I am a member.

Hey alexrose1uk,

Jus' about the afterimage effects:
This is not seriously an issue, notice that this is already part II of this discussion and with all major topics discussed, people come up with the issues of the 'peanuts' section. I have not heard of anybody who has had permanent burn-in in this model. Consider it a no-brainer to purchase the PZ80 since you won't regret it.:smashin:

Fair enough, I just have to be careful, as I'll be using it as a monitor, tv and primarily for HD material; I just don't want to spend and find something that ruins it for me.

Sounds like this initial blurring is worse than normal anyway and dies away from a few comments. I don't mind a bit of blur but dont want something horrendous!

Ofc this is if I can even find one that doesnt cost £800, as I don't have that much!

Last edited:
Have just joined the PZ80 bandwagon,a nd very impressed, spent the weekend watching the entire extended version of the Lord of the rings trilogy!!
Really impressed by the picture quality and the blacks, and just being carefull trying to avoid my Wii for a while and in cinema mode at the moment.

Only thing i have noticed, is on very dark/black images are slight 'waves' coming down the screen occasionally (at about 45 degrees), not entirely sure what it is. But does not seem to be permamant.

Hi Macvaio, can you tell me the date you bought your TV from JL. It looks like it was after me which should mean it should fall under the 28 day price match I think JL offer (some of you other guys can confirm if I'm right on this or not?). If so, then anyone that has bought that TV from JL 28 days prior to your date should be eligible for refunds.

Heres hoping!! ;)

Hi the date on the Price Match Letter is 31/01/2009 (£599)

I Also ordered from John Lewis Is Solihull On the same day

Delivery is booked for 23rd Feb

Last edited:
Just a quick question about this plasma and connecting to PC

Whats the best way to connect for viewing Blu Ray, Games, DVDs etc

VGA Lead? or DVI to HDMI Lead

Does either have an advantage over the other?

Only thing i have noticed, is on very dark/black images are slight 'waves' coming down the screen occasionally (at about 45 degrees), not entirely sure what it is. But does not seem to be permamant.

That sounds like analogue interference if you are connected via RGB, for instance, perhaps from a power cable being too close. 45 degrees is unusual though. :confused:

Just a quick question about this plasma and connecting to PC

Whats the best way to connect for viewing Blu Ray, Games, DVDs etc

VGA Lead? or DVI to HDMI Lead

Does either have an advantage over the other?
HDMI is superior and essential for BluRay. VGA is restricted in the screen resolutions supported (no 1080p, no 24fps...)

Had my first experience of image retention with this set over the past couple of days - damn Now/Next banner on Sky HD box.

Admittedly you have to be close to the TV to notice it, but it is there none the less.

Very strange because I haven't noticed any when gaming on PS3, I use sensible settings (Cinema/Warm) and the set has done well over 200 hours :confused:

Image retention is likely at any time, not just within the first 200 hours or so (when the phosphor is likely to be at its most sensitive). It's the nature of plasma technology - some combinations are also more noticable than others, but it will fade in time.

Robert

That sounds like analogue interference if you are connected via RGB, for instance, perhaps from a power cable being too close. 45 degrees is unusual though. :confused:

Thanks, will look into this, looks like it seems to be more on DVD's (have an old Sony DAVS-300 connected S-video to scart). Have invested in a cheap mains conditioner/ filter to help protect my investment, so will see if that makes a difference when it arrives.

Hi the date on the Price Match Letter is 31/01/2009 (£599)

I Also ordered from John Lewis Is Solihull On the same day

Delivery is booked for 23rd Feb

Thanks macvaio. I missed out by 2 days :(

Never mind. Hope it helps someone else. :thumbsup:

Enjoy your new Panny.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom