Panasonic TH42PZ80 thread -part 2

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Julie, Jan 29, 2009.

1. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    The warranty does not cover call-outs if no fault is found. Best to go into a shop and look at theirs for comparison. Call-outs will cost anywhere from £50-£100 which is a lot just to be told your tv is fine.

2. ajy

ajy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the warning - sounds like sensible advice!

3. Pege63

Pege63
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and on a different note...
    The AV' button on the remote can be set to only show what's hooked up on the AV side and the names can even be changed - neat.
    What about the TV select button, is there anyway of switching off the analogue selection as here in the Borders we only have the DVB so no use for it. Basically I'd like to see the TV (DVB) only when pressing the TV button.

BTW got a component cable for Wii today, neat picture - great, only complaint, if any is that the cables (this is a Nintendo version, bought from PLAY.COM) are short at the plug end ie I could not run the sound directly into the surround amp, no big deal as into the TV will do OK and the sound will now feed back to the amp via the TV. Good pic was the main thing and the £17 was worth it.

4. briane2021

briane2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you only press the tv button once when changing from av channel you will only get dvb anyway.there is no need to press it twice.press av for av channel press tv once for dvb

5. jwalsh82

jwalsh82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Has anyone been into the Service Menu on this and calibrated that way? Would be interested in hearing what people have done.

:)

6. paulie12

paulie12
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - double image - sounds like what i have. Are other people not noticing this? Maybe we are more susceptible to it. dunno.

I am planning to find a good example on a blu-ray and take it into a shop and compare. Will report back.

Any body else having similar issues - or NOT having any problems with blur/ double images?

7. 916mick

916mick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We recently bought a TH42PZ80B . Very happy except that occasionally (12-15 times since purchase) when watching on DVB the set changes to AV input (set to sky+ hd ) . Very annoying .On the last occasion the remote was not touched + the sky remote was on a shelf pointing away from tv (sky was also in standby ) . I,ve tried unplugging the aerial and the tv stays on dvb and says "no signal" so the problem isn,t loss of dvb signal .
    Any ideas appreciated
    Mick

8. asktoby

asktoby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been noticing the blur since I got my TV last month. It's quite off putting and is definitely the weak point of the telly so far. I primarily play Xbox 360 games and I find myself avoiding moving the camera in game, so as to keep my crystal clear image.

The blur is not a perfect "echo", it shows the previous frame but with some colour shift, maybe some blueness to it. It's hard to be clear on this because it moves so quickly!

9. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    The switching is caused by a dodgy Sky box sending out rogue signals. Disconnect the Sky box temporarily and see if this cures the problem.

10. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Is that HDMI? If not - why is the SCART lead plugged in at all?

My inlaws had this problem with a Humax box (over SCART, it has no HDMI) and a Samsung plasma so we just pulled out pin8 on the SCART lead.

11. 916mick

916mick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me explain slightly .
    tv purchased 4/1/09 .
    initial set up:- sky digibox in scart 1 . vcr in scart 2
    dvd player in component video .
    tv was already switching from dvb to av .
    scart 1 set as default
    27/1/09 sky+ hd installed using hdmi 1
    vcr removed from scart 2 . so no scarts now in use . so set up now is sky+hd in hdmi 1 and dvd into component video , hdmi set as default av .
    still switching dvb to av .only common part is dvd player through comp . will unplug and see how it goes ?

12. jwalsh82

jwalsh82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    :)

13. ajy

ajy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Must be our eagle-like vision...! :)

Thanks, paulie12 - I'll be extremely interested to hear what you discover!

14. 916mick

916mick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    update !!
    component video disconnected tuesday . Still switching !!
    guess i'll be talking to panasonic tech people . are they any good , or will i be wasting phone bill ?

15. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    Does it still switch when the Sky box is disconnected? Sounds like a dodgy Sky box to me.

16. asktoby

asktoby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Here's a link to a youtube video which shows the blurring quite well:
    Youtube Video

The freezeframe below really captures the colour shift. Look at how the grafitti on the left has a yellow blur to its left and a blue blur to its right.
    When you watch the video itself, notice how you can see the scars drawn on the grafitti man's face quite clearly when stationary, but how he turns into a blur when panning.

I was watching King Kong on HD DVD last night and can confirm that this happens in films as well as games. Static portrait shots are fine, but any sweeping pans degenerate into a soft, soft blur.

[​IMG]

I really hope this is because the TV is quite new, and that it will settle down after some more hours use.

17. philofcas

philofcas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    wave your hand in front of you and see if it blurs........

18. chapeau

chapeau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Excellent one Phil :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :smashin:

19. perceptionist87

perceptionist87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Finally someone actually mentions this issue, I noticed it for years!
    It started with my first TH PX60U (G9 panel)
    There it was really so much more obvious (50hz).

In both movies and games, when paning bright colours (especially white, yellow, red and skin tones).

The colour seems to bleed and becomes surrounded by borders that are always green and violet to both sides of the original colour. (BTW: I'm sober :lesson:)

After having had a Samsung PS-50 Q96HD with perfect motion sharpness but terrible color rendition and posturization effects (insufficient grayscales) I can say that not having perfect motion sharpness is a small price to pay!

I came back to Panasonic and can say this slight color bleeding is the effect of unbiased picture quality. The motions could be rendered better, but only at a compromise of color fidelity. I recommend all of you to chose fascinating color reproduction over motion sharpness, then the PZ 80 or upwards are the best alternatives to Pioneer displays.

20. ajy

ajy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for posting the video - glad it's not just me suffering...

I too hope it'll settle down as the TV gets a bit older... but I can't say I'm particularly confident.

Would anybody who isn't currently bothered by the blurring care to comment? Is this something that you don't see any more, or have you just grown used to it?

21. perceptionist87

perceptionist87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi there,

The experts call this 'phospor burn'
    It is a phenomenon that occurs when a screen reproduces very high color fidelity and contrast levels:
    Once the plasma cells are excited due to being addressed by an electric discharge, the plasma emitts a photon (pure light) upon this chemical reaction.
    After the discharge, the chemical procedure to go back to plain black from this agitated state to produce color, leaves the cells going through mid-tones before reaching black (off) again.
    These tones are mainly violet and green to be seen for a fraction of a second.

As mentionned before, this comes with uncompromising contrast and brightness level. For example, Samsung chose to manufacture Plasmas with only 1300cd brigthness compared to up to 2000 in Panasonic's product range.
    I owned a Samsung myself, and YES the phosphor burn is not visible when sacrificing vivid brightness AND color fidelity.

It is mainly your choice if you want to have perfect reaction time (example Samsung) or perfect color fidelity/contrast and brightness (example Panasonic) BUT phosphor burn.

In series PZ80 onwards, it was GREATLY reduced due to the 0.001ms reaction time.

Finally, NO it won't wear out. I owned older Panas and it is a characteristic of this brand to chose as I mentionned above. And imho it is the right choice.

So smile :) if you are owning a PZ80xx, they take consumer products one step further.

regards from Switzerland

22. ajy

ajy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the info - are you suggesting that I might be able to reduce the effect by reducing brightness contrast? I'll give that a go later. I have my PZ80 set to the PX80 settings recommended elsewhere on this forum.

It's just that I find the effect so incredibly distracting (and, at times, uncomfortable to watch) that I find it hard to believe that it's "normal"!

Sadly my JL returns period has lapsed... :rolleyes:

23. perceptionist87

perceptionist87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Ajy,

Well combined, yes the problem can be eased by turning back the major factors for its occurance:
    being brightness and contrast.
    But better stop before you turn down brightness too much and loose shadow detail.

This worked pretty well on my first shot at Panasonic, an elderly G9 panel: TH-37PX60U.
    With this small screen size and no 100hz the phosphor burn was somewhat more obvious.

As I mentioned this color bleeding occurs for a microscopic fraction of a second. So the good news is that you have extremely sensitive perception if you can even notice this in 100hz mode.

C'mon, this should not be a reason to return your panel?
    You have to confess that the image processing is outstandig in its price range...

The problem with perception sensitive (to whom I obviously count myself) people has always been present:
    On CRT we had headaches in 50hz mode, with LCD we see the backlight shining through the cracks and with Plasma we see phosphor burn that is not even computable with any measure method. Other people would say one's mad when complaining about such stuff.

Plus, showing off a picture in a darkened room to a viewer with EAGLE EYES without creating any insufficiencies is a task that no consumer TV can handle nowadays - let's face it.

24. ajy

ajy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, perceptionist87! Your optimistic outlook is refreshing! :)

But, for me, this effect is very evident even in a brightly lit room.

Here's another odd thing my telly did the other day:

I switched on the TV, and fired up the XBOX to start a download. Once that was underway, I switched back to DVB mode and found myself on a channel which happened to not be broadcasting at that time. So I was looking a black screen.

But I could see residual images. Of course, I immediately thought of screen burn. ("Oh dear", I thought... or words to that effect :D) I got up close to the screen and could make out various images and text.

I was racking my brain, trying to think of when I might have left a static image up on the screen by mistake. But I quickly realised that the "burnt in image" was from the game I had been looking at a few minutes earlier.

With a bit of experimentation, I realised that any image which was up for more than a few seconds was being "burnt in". For example, starting on a black screen, I could bring up the TV's menu (i.e. by pushing the menu button on the RC), leave it up for 10 seconds and then close it. The after image of the menu was clearly visible!

I turned the TV off, waited a few seconds and then switched back on. The "burn in" was still visible, and the odd "instant burn in" behaviour was still present.

So I turned the TV off again, and this time left it for about 5 minutes. When it came back on, the "burnt in" images were gone, and the "instant burn in" behaviour had disappeared.

It's not happened again since... very odd. I don't know enough about plasma technology to even begin to suggest an explanation for that...

25. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Guys - that is phosphor lag. All plasmas have it and it cannot be avoided.

Some people say they cannot see it (considering it is alwaya apparent in these clips i do not see how they miss it)

its the price you pay for a sharp image

26. perceptionist87

perceptionist87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    word!

27. perceptionist87

perceptionist87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well that's normal. It's just because your plasma panel seems to be still pretty new.

If I watch for more than 2 hours or so TV and then turn the set off to go to sleep, one can still see the plasma shine a bit in complete darkness. Because you have to keep in mind that the plasma itself produces light, there is no supportive backlight as in LCDs. That's why early pdp screens worn out much faster than the claimed 60'000 hours till half-life of todays devices.

Don't worry to much about when it ends - Enjoy it while it lasts.

28. ajy

ajy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, it might be normal after a couple of hours of use... but after 10 seconds of use?

As I said, after being left off for 5 minutes, the problem went away. Very odd.

29. perceptionist87

perceptionist87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As long as it goes away everything fine is it?

I think all this stuff with "screen burn being solved" is overrated.
    The methods the picture is rendered are still the same, the contrasts and brightness have even been cranked up since the very first ones that had 10k:1 max contrast.
    Also, the pixel size has decreased and their amount doubled since the first ones that had 1024x768 res.

On the other hand the displays come at a unbelievable competitve price... how so? This is only possible for manufacutrers by decreasing Costs of goods (COGS) and how is that done? By deleting FTEs (reducing personnel).

Imagine that a full hd display has 6mio sub-pixels, and in quality control theoretically all of them would have to be tested. Then you realize how lucky you can be if you pick a flawless batch. I have one (!) sub-pixel on my 42PZ8E that is stuck and shows only red and black - what the heck can one do about it. You have to accept up to five in order to have the display replaced (talking about reducing COGS via cutting guarantee services)

In my very honest opinion, the newest models are even more fragile than previous ones (but don't say that aloud)

SHORT VERSION: Just take care to not leave static images on your screen and do not even bother to check for dead/stuck pixels or sub-pixels. And you'll get along fine.

30. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    out of interest - what TV did you have before the plasma?