Panasonic TH42PZ80 thread -part 2

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Julie, Jan 29, 2009.

1. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    Are the devices connected to the tv via HDMI actually switched on when the problem happens? Badly screened HDMI cables can give out enough interference to knock out an aerial signal, especially if the HDMI and aerial cables run close to each other. Our service engineers at work are seeing this more and more often recently. Well-screened HDMI cables in most cases cures the problem. This is based on real experience of working for a Sony/Panasonic service centre by the way, not merely a theory. Might be worth a try?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. TotalNewb

TotalNewb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Macvaio where did you price match it to get the set for £599?

3. almightygoodgod

almightygoodgod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    I wouldn't mind an answer to the above as well!

4. kempez

kempez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    JL Watford, just check through the old thread.

That deal has expired now I believe.

EDIT: Some JL's are nicer than others, I've done this before on expired deals and got away with it ;)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  5. MINUS28

MINUS28
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested to hear how you managed the 599 price also mate. Going by your posts you placed an order after me yet still managed to get the lower price :D Good work! :)

6. briane2021

briane2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its nothing to do with the cables.its the tuner thats at fault,the px80 series are also suffering this problem,but thanks for trying to be helpfull.search the px80 thread,there are many owners suffering this problem,oh and no the devices connected arent switched on for this to occur

7. ajy

ajy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I recently purchased a TH42PZ80 and I'm pretty pleased with it... BUT, I seem to be getting a lot of motion blur when things are moving left-to-right (or vice versa).

This seems to be irrespective of the source (Sky+HD box, XBOX 360, VGA input...) and it's rather spoiling my viewing experience. If the image is paused, it's all crystal clear.

I'm new to plasmas (having just made the leap from a 28" CRT) so I'm not sure what to expect. Is this normal?

I also see a lot of green-fringing - particularly when using the XBOX, but also on the other inputs. And find that if I move my eyes rapidly I can often see a rainbow-effect.

I've tried playing with the TV settings, and have experimented with setting the Sky box to 720p rather than 1080i, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

So, do I need a new telly, or new eyes? My 28-day returns period ends this week so all advice will be gratefully received.

Many thanks!

8. rewerb

rewerb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I have the PX80 and dont have this problem. I seem to remember some problem when a PC was connected and the TV was switched off whilst the PC was still on, this caused a loss of tuned stations. But that doesnt sound like this problem.

9. briane2021

briane2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    youre one of the lucky ones.its the same problem.if anything is connected to the hdmi sockets when the tv is turned off the freeview signal breaks up when tv is turned back on.if nothing is connected to the hdmi sockets when the tv is turned off,the freeview is perfect when tv is turned back on.this is sorted by removing the cables then reinserting again or by retuning the channels.ive had two sets doing this another poster here as also had two sets doing this,and many others too.if you search about the px80 its also doing this.like i said youre lucky yours is not affected.my mates th37px80 as this fault,so its quite wide spread.

10. macvaio

macvaio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Like Kempez said above it was from John Lewis watford when i first rang the deal from watford had expired by just a day, but no John lewis around me would match an expired deal until John Lowis Solihul rang me back which was a nice surprise, think its just a matter of like said above some Stores are nicer than others :)

11. m4morris

m4morris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i notice a motion blur on mine when a goal kick is taken in the football. as the camera pans left to riht (or vice versa) there is a slight blurring that soon corrects itself.

is there a solution or is it a trait of the tv?

12. m4morris

m4morris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the TH46PZ80 is on sale in COSTCO to members for £760.00 with a 5 year warrantly.

13. ajy

ajy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Actually, I've realised that I get motion blur for movement in all directions (not just left/right).

To give a specific example that many people may be able to reproduce, if I open up the map screen while playing GTA IV (XBOX 360 connected via HDMI) then scrolling the map in any direction gives rise to the blurring/double image effect. When the map is static, there's no problem.

14. Dj1988

Dj1988
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having a small problem that requires some confirmation from you other owners of the PZ80 so here goes:

Would owners of this TV please be kind enough to use the inbuilt freeview tuner and view ITV channel 3, then focus on the very bottom lines of the picture (get up close to the screen if you have to). I notice on my picture I get what I can only describe as similar to a tracking problem that affected VHS tape players (when the tracking was out). The very bottom line of the picture suffers from the occasional white line / picture noise which causes flickering.

This problem presents itself more when there is motion being displayed. Also seems to be worse on ITV than BBC.

I have a sony dvd recorder with inbuilt freeview hooked up to the tv and there is no problem in the same channels.

THANKYOU for your input guys :)

15. ajy

ajy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I can see this - but only if I switch Overscan off. Have a look at your settings (Menu > Setup > Picture Overscan). I believe that the recommended setting for SD sources is to have overscan ON.

Hope that helps!

16. Dj1988

Dj1988
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ajy I love you ;) It's gone!

I turned overscan off because I read somewhere that I should for the 200 hour running in of the plasma?

17. mwardy

mwardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Do you have overscan set to off? It needs to be on for SD. If it is on, your set is badly adjusted at the factory. Your options are to adjust it yourself in the service menu, which would break your warranty (there are instructions if you look around on here, it's no sweat really) or get an engineer out.

Edit: job done! :thumbsup:

18. paulie12

paulie12
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 46 inch version of this TV and am getting very off putting motion blurring from all sources, Sky HD, SD, DVD and BluRay. This is in all directions and occurs with both slow and faster pans. I had a 37PX80 previously and never noticed a problem with that.

Is this an issue with this TV or only specific sets? I have the panny 5 yr guarantee so might get an engineer to come and look. Hope this is not an issue for the whole series.

19. glagys

glagys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to bring anyone up to speed

i have phoned JL (watford) they took my money and sent me a receipt that stated 5 year warranty

they would arrange for a carrier they use to collect the TV from them(watford) and bring it up to me here in northwest Lancs

now thats what i call service and all for £599

well happy had sky HD fitted now just await the tv

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

20. TotalNewb

TotalNewb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When did you order mate?

21. sku11k

sku11k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :rolleyes:errm just a shot in the dark might be a dumb question, Most people know that green is a little punchy on the PZ`s. Recently watching tropic thunder on blueray some of the jungle foliage was a little over bloomed. particularly in lighter scenes the higher end of the green. Was just wondering if i adjusted the Green gain down a tad in the service menu would this ease the problem a little or without hardware and software to do it would changing this setting throw out all the other colours aswell. Love my PZ just cant help but feel some things could be alot better

22. sku11k

sku11k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

23. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605

24. sku11k

sku11k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    so im watching whats not really meant to be displayed. Just to my eyes seemed to snap in better. Ill try overscan on for a few days see whats up.

dont suppose you know any way to get the green push down do you

25. audiphile76

audiphile76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Its only in theory that with overscan off, it helps in getting a clearer picture. Since switching overscan on only enlarges by roughly around 5% areawise, its not easy to notice any reduction in sharpness.

26. audiphile76

audiphile76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Ofcourse for HD, you can leave it off. Only for SD its recommended to have overscan on. I have an external upscaler for SD and i dont get those borders for SD. I have this option off for SD aswell.

27. Dj1988

Dj1988
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using an external upscaler too over hdmi and find it to be fractionally sharper than the tv's tuner and I can leave overscan off. Still havent been able to beat the quality of my old sony vtx800u freeview box on a CRT :) that still makes me smile.

Another question for you guys - in the picture settings what value do you have your colour set on? I've been trying out HDTVtest's recommended settings for the PX80.

Panasonic TH42PX80 Best Settings After Calibration

I am starting to like the warm setting over natural however I find their 3 clicks right for colour makes skin tones appear very unnaturally red :eek:. I've found that reducing the colour value to 40% seems to solve the red issue. What settings are you running? p.s. I'm still breaking the thing in, probably on about 12 hours.

28. Happytab

Happytab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Soes anyone know of any JL's that are still doing this at £699 - I can't get lower then £849 (Watford) and Glasogow is now back up to £999 :thumbsdow

Thanks for your help.

29. BackSeatBoy

BackSeatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having the same problem, tried to match with ritcher sounds @ £749 but the branches I have tried near bluewater do not have stock.....

30. ajy

ajy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, this sounds like the same problem that I'm getting. What I see is really a "double image"... almost like I can see the previous frame and the next frame together.

Like you, I find it very off putting. For example, if there is text (e.g. a camera panning past a billboard) then I find the text unreadable. Slow scrolling/panning is OK (so I don't have problem with news tickers, say) - but any fast panning/scrolling in any direction is very distracting.

When the picture is paused, everything returns to crystal clarity.

I haven't studied the terms of my warranty - does it cover calling out an engineer? If so, I might give that a try. If you call one out, then I'd be very interested to hear what they have to say!