Panasonic TH42PZ80 Problem.

Andy_Jack

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry, its a pz70, not 80. Typical and it seems as though they have a timer built in.:mad: I purchased my pz70 in July 2007 and 4 days ago I switched it on to find a large purple vertical line from the top about 10 inches from the left of screen edge and about 3-4" wide. Completely ruining the picture. I have had no problems with this TV since purchase. I purchased it about 2 weeks before Panasonic offered it with free 5 year warranty and it cost me £1200 pounds (that was saved up for for 4 years) delivered from Paul Taylor GPA LTD (Multiregionmagic.co.uk) and stupidly decided after taking advice, not to take an extended warranty. How silly of me now that the TV has failed 21 months in with less than 300 hours on it. Why oh why did I not head advice to get a cheaper LCD instead? Plasma:mad:. We live and learn I suppose. I just presumed it would last longer and that I would at least get about 5 years out of it before the automatic failure timer kicked in.

Anyway, I am in a situation where I cannot transport the TV to my nearest Panasonic agent (18 miles away and wont fit in the car) and I cannot afford to pay them to collect it and inspect either (aprox £200). Panasonic Customer care dont want to help other than telling me to do what I have just said I cant do. It really does seem as though we are ripped off by every company these days.

So in the bin it goes after smashing it up I suppose. I do not know what else to do. Any sensible suggestions folks? Any one come across this problem before?

regards

Andy

Last edited:
Sorry, its a pz70, not 80. Typical and it seems as though they have a timer built in.:mad: I purchased my pz70 in July 2007 and 4 days ago I switched it on to find a large purple vertical line from the top about 10 inches from the left of screen edge and about 3-4" wide. Completely ruining the picture. I have had no problems with this TV since purchase. I purchased it about 2 weeks before Panasonic offered it with free 5 year warranty and it cost me £1200 pounds (that was saved up for for 4 years) delivered from Paul Taylor GPA LTD (Multiregionmagic.co.uk) and stupidly decided after taking advice, not to take an extended warranty. How silly of me now that the TV has failed 21 months in with less than 300 hours on it. Why oh why did I not head advice to get a cheaper LCD instead? Plasma:mad:. We live and learn I suppose. I just presumed it would last longer and that I would at least get about 5 years out of it before the automatic failure timer kicked in.

Anyway, I am in a situation where I cannot transport the TV to my nearest Panasonic agent (18 miles away and wont fit in the car) and I cannot afford to pay them to collect it and inspect either (aprox £200). Panasonic Customer care dont want to help other than telling me to do what I have just said I cant do. It really does seem as though we are ripped off by every company these days.

So in the bin it goes after smashing it up I suppose. I do not know what else to do. Any sensible suggestions folks? Any one come across this problem before?

regards

Andy

Sorry to hear about your problems. I wouldn't say that because it's a plasma it was any more likely to fail than an LCD. As the TV is only 21 months old, you do have certain rights as a consumer. You need to approach the retailer you bought it from. It would probably help if you have an engineers report stating the nature of the fault, identifying whether it would have been due to wear and tear (not likely) or a manufacturing defect. The retailer is oblidged to 'remedy' the issue for you without you being out of pocket.

Hope this helps.

Approached in the correct manner, you will be able to get your tv repaired free of charge using your rights under the Sale of Goods Act. You need to contact the retailer who is legally obliged to put this right for you.

Approached in the correct manner, you will be able to get your tv repaired free of charge using your rights under the Sale of Goods Act. You need to contact the retailer who is legally obliged to put this right for you.

I have sent him a couple of emails and they were read. But no response whatsoever yet.:( I dont hold any hope for this.

I have sent him a couple of emails and they were read. But no response whatsoever yet.:( I dont hold any hope for this.

As long as you realise that you have rights to a free repair. Whether you decide to pursue this is entirely down to you.

As long as you realise that you have rights to a free repair. Whether you decide to pursue this is entirely down to you.

I beleive you, but I have no way of getting the TV back to the place I got it from.

Cheers

Andy:rolleyes:

Be polite.but tell your retailer that the tele failed just after 12 months, and under the sale of goods act it should have lasted for 6 years or so, so you are entitled to a repair.
If he doesnt comply then it's down to the small claims court, where you will win you're case.
Be consistent, the law is on your side.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom