Panasonic TH42PX80/Pioneer 4280xd dilemma

djaustin

Standard Member
Just bought a Panasonic PX80 for £500 in the sales at Dixons, after searching long and hard for a 42" Pioneer unsucessfully :mad:.

Have now located a new and boxed Pioneer 4280xd for £850. Is the difference likely to be worth £350? - should I sell the Panasonic? - I'd be happy to recover what I paid - particularly as they are now back up to £600. Or should I just relax and enjoy the rather fine picture I am enjoying now?

I wasn't impressed by the difference between the PZ81 and the PX80 on SD or HD and thought £450 for an integrated freesat a waste of money, so 720p is fine. I do rather like black blacks though and am happy to pay for genuinely better picture quality.

Unfortunately, I can't return the Panasonic, as it's not faulty, even though it is boxed with all original materials and within 28-days of purchase.

Comments please - before I just go and buy it anyway and view the PX80 as a free gift (based on the original Pioneer price) :D

jayden28

The pioneer is a better set and yes its £350 better,i think you will notice the difference considering the PX80 is a budget model.

matr69

Just bought a Panasonic PX80 for £500 in the sales at Dixons, after searching long and hard for a 42" Pioneer unsucessfully :mad:.

Have now located a new and boxed Pioneer 4280xd for £850. Is the difference likely to be worth £350? - should I sell the Panasonic? - I'd be happy to recover what I paid - particularly as they are now back up to £600. Or should I just relax and enjoy the rather fine picture I am enjoying now?

I wasn't impressed by the difference between the PZ81 and the PX80 on SD or HD and thought £450 for an integrated freesat a waste of money, so 720p is fine. I do rather like black blacks though and am happy to pay for genuinely better picture quality.

Unfortunately, I can't return the Panasonic, as it's not faulty, even though it is boxed with all original materials and within 28-days of purchase.

Comments please - before I just go and buy it anyway and view the PX80 as a free gift (based on the original Pioneer price) :D

There isn't a massive difference between them, the Pio is more bullet proof on the image retention side of things, PQ wise the difference is only in nuances. I have had them both. The Pio is a steal at £850 though, it is a nicer looking screen and has more room for adjustment but that is where the nuances come from. You could buy the Pio and sell it at a profit methinks.

Last edited:

Detto

I just brought a px80 for bedroom and am really really impressed with it and have even got my parents to get one for their living room. I also have a pio507xd in living room and think its much better, get the pioneer would be my 2pence worth.

matr69

I just brought a px80 for bedroom and am really really impressed with it and have even got my parents to get one for their living room. I also have a pio507xd in living room and think its much better, get the pioneer would be my 2pence worth.

At the same time you may be seeing the benefits of a 50" screen over a 42"? I think 50" screens look way better with HD sources for instance.

Detto

sounds like you need a 5090 :devil:

Detto

I tried to talk wife into putting the 507xd in bedroom and getting a 5090 but the 507xd would not fit in bedroom and funds dont really allow, was sorely tempted thou, settled on the px80 for bedroom as it was a steal at the price . £487 i paid from dixons

djaustin

Standard Member
I agree wholeheartedly:smashin:

No definitely 42 for SWMBO - and finances too. A 50 would fit on the stand, but would be too big for all but films - sat 8ft away and coming from a 28" CRT.

Still deliberating. And yes there was also a demo model for sale, but not good value with a scratched screen :(

Am viewing Freesat with a new Bush decoder - the black and white menus, whilst rudimentary, could do with a deeper black...:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom