Panasonic TH42PX75/PX77 - TH50PX75/PX77 - Using VGa to HDMI converters?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by H-Head, Jan 25, 2008.

1. H-Head

H-Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a TH-42PX77 at home. It's going back to the store, and the 50incher's on order.

Neither TV has VGA input. VGA input on the Panny increases the price substantially, and I don't want to invest more than I already have.

I've had the Samsung HPT5054 at home, and did a side by side compare to the Panny, and the panny is what I want now.

I tried taking my DVI output on my computer, and using a DV-HDMI cable into the TV. This didn't work. Panasonic told me that the HDMI will only support consumer electronics, and no PC based outputs.

I'm guessing this is either because the PC DVI doesn't contain sound, or because it doesn't contain the DRM that's included in DVI?

I found this VGA- HDMI converter on ebay, and wanted to know if anybody has tried this with their panny, and what result they got.

Thanks.

2. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    As I understand the HDMI inputs only accept SD & HD tv signals
    i.e. 720p 50/60HZ, 1080i 50/60HZ etc
    They will not accept more conventional PC resolutions and timings.
    Therefore if your GPU will output HD signals it may be able to sync with the plasma - I'm not certain about whether your GPU would need to be HDCP compliant.
    Finally, the connector you suggest will almost certainly not work as they are designed for GPUs that have a DVI-I interface, which allows an analogue signal to be sent from a DVI port to an analogue input on a display - i.e. a VGA connector. It will not work in reverse