• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic TH42PX70 Reliability dilemma

moppit

Could I quiz the TH42PX70 owners out there? Is it really worth the £799 from John Lewis or should I go with Empire Direct at £659?

A 5 year guarantee is cheap for the difference but have any of you experienced any problems during ownership? If reliability is top notch then perhaps my cash would be best spend on a new DVD player....

For an extra £29 I think ED give 3 years if I read their blurb correctly?

I dont think my local JL in southampton will price match to ED in Leeds..

Any advice greatfully received!

P

PlasmaWakey

Always get a 5 year warranty on a plasma. Definately worth it.
I bought a 42PX70 7 days ago. I've posted an issue in the owners thread that it seems no one else has, so its going back.

P

PlasmaWakey

Don't get me wrong though....it's not all doom and gloom. There was a reason why that set won all those awards.

I'm really annoyed as the picture quality really was EXCELLENT and I was so happy with the panel.

Hopefully just a minor niggle that can be sorted with a replacement.

huzz

If your after the Panasonic TH-42PX70 you can get it from John Lewis Watford for £699 or get another branch to do a quick price match over the phone. I ordered one on saturday with delivery arranged for next tuesday. Did try to get price match with Empire Direct but they don't have any in stock. For extra £40 your getting the JL 5 year warranty which is bargin.

moppit

Thanks folks for all your comments. JL in Southampton PM'ed the Empire Direct price at £659! So 5 yr guarantee included AND best price. Thanks JLP!!

Dan J

Hi all, I've just decided to get this tv also and live in Watford so a price match with John Lewis there would be great! I'm after the PED model and notice on their site that John Lewis have it for £799 without the pedestal stand?

Empire Direct have it on their site for £699 with the stand, the PED version. But I can't see any branch details on there to call to check stock etc.

huzz I see you've literally just got John Lewis in Watford to agree a price match for £699. Can I ask who you used for the price match at that price if Empire Direct were out of stock and also if that included the stand?

Thanks a lot as I'm looking to order this asap now!

CRISTO

Standard Member
Dan J

I just spoke to Watford JL, they sell the TH42PX70 at £699, but this excludes the PED part (another £99).

The woman i spoke to said that JL would not price match somebody else selling the "package" of the screen and the pedestal against JL selling the sreen and pedestal seperately.

i'm going to try calling round the rest of the JL's, but not sure i'm going to get anywhere with this now...

Dan J

Ah bugger! Thanks for letting me know though. They've got the tv for £799 on their site so I assume they've price matched you somewhere to go to £699.

Can the pedestal stands not be bought cheaper elsewhere? That could be an option. If you were able to pick one up for say £50 somewhere then you'd be looking at £750 all in for it with the JL 5 year guarantee which looks pretty good.

CRISTO

Standard Member
dan

looks like there is confusion between JL's!!! there is a thread at the top of the plasma forum talking about JL price checks, and it seems somebody today got exactly what we're both after from the solihull branch!!!

Zarch

JL Sheffield price matched ED for the PX70-PED no problems.(granted, this was in July) I just told JL their own model/reference numbers for the 2 parts(screen and stand) and that this made up the "PED" version.

Didn't seem to be a problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom