Panasonic Th42px70 Or Px700

S

SPARTANS

Hi,
First and foremost i'd like to say what a great site this is and i've now got square eyes from reading all the interesting information and my head is spinning so i've decided to make myself look stupid and ask a few questions.

My dad has just taken delivery of a 42px70 and naturally me and my brothers popped round for a look to see where our inheritance money is going.Well we're blown away by the piccies having had our heads in the sand for a few years and living on a diet of crt's.

I'd like to buy a plasma tv and have narrowed it down to one of the above but i'm not sure if its worth paying the extra 300 quid for the 700 which i understand has improved sound and looks but that's about it.
Am i wrong to assume this and is it worth the extra cash ?

I have a cambridge audio cd player and amp that don't receive a lot of use in my bedroom so would a better option be to buy the px70 and move the stereo eqpt into my living room ?
I could then use the extra cash on a dvd recorder (can somebody suggest a decent panasonic with a largish hdd) but would i be able to get digital surround sound from it all ( i have the remnants of a pioneer nv surround sound system that has all speakers,dvd player has limited functionality as one of my cats sprayed it) )

If anybody can help i'd appreciate it and sorry if its all been asked before.

Hi,
First and foremost i'd like to say what a great site this is and i've now got square eyes from reading all the interesting information and my head is spinning so i've decided to make myself look stupid and ask a few questions.

My dad has just taken delivery of a 42px70 and naturally me and my brothers popped round for a look to see where our inheritance money is going.Well we're blown away by the piccies having had our heads in the sand for a few years and living on a diet of crt's.

I'd like to buy a plasma tv and have narrowed it down to one of the above but i'm not sure if its worth paying the extra 300 quid for the 700 which i understand has improved sound and looks but that's about it.

I have a cambridge audio cd player and amp that don't receive a lot of use in my bedroom so would a better option be to buy the px70 and move the stereo eqpt into my living room ?
I could then use the extra cash on a dvd recorder (can somebody suggest a decent panasonic with a largish hdd) but would i be able to get digital surround sound from it all ( i have the remnants of a pioneer nv surround sound system that has all speakers,dvd player has limited functionality as one of my cats sprayed it) )

If anybody can help i'd appreciate it and sorry if its all been asked before.

Ho Spartans, been looking at these for a while (was gonna get the Pio 428 but too expensive). The X700 has better sound, a SD card slot (will read jpegs etc) an extra HDMI slot on the front, also some better connectivity on the back, plus PiP and some other functions. Think thats about it.

Cheers,
a few extra things then,would that sd slot take a mobile phone meory card from a sony ericsson k800i do you know?

Get the X70 and put the £300 towards a Yamaha sound projector. The YSP-900 matches the Panny black, much improves two-channel audi and does a reasonable job of creating 5 channels even in my far from optimum surroundings.

Well the TH42PZ70 is now in stock at various online retailers, and starting at £1089 for a full HD panel (1920x1080) also has more socketry than the X70 model.
Not sure what the PQ is like, need to go and see one, but Im gonna wait to see what its like.

Well the TH42PZ70 is now in stock at various online retailers, and starting at £1089 for a full HD panel (1920x1080) also has more socketry than the X70 model.
Not sure what the PQ is like, need to go and see one, but Im gonna wait to see what its like.
Reviews of the PZ700 model while praising it's HD PQ have been critical of it's performance with SD material.

Hi,
First and foremost i'd like to say what a great site this is and i've now got

I'm sure even though Panasonic denies it, more expensive models have better processing, so i'd get px700.

Interesting test of US PZ750U (which is EU PZ700)

The TH-50PZ750U was nearly flawless at deinterlacing difficult standard-def program material. The TH-50PZ700U I checked out performed poorly with the same material, suggesting that one significant advantage of the more expensive model is better video processing.
http://hometheatermag.com/plasmadisplays/607pana50pz750u/

I'm sure even though Panasonic denies it, more expensive models have better processing, so i'd get px700.

You are a marketing man's dream. :eek:

If ever you plan on moving to London I will give you the first offer on my flat. It will be a £100,000 more than all the others in the block so it is obviously the best one ;)

Bob

You are a marketing man's dream. :eek:

If ever you plan on moving to London I will give you the first offer on my flat. It will be a £100,000 more than all the others in the block so it is obviously the best one ;)

Bob

Did you even read what i quote?

Did you even read what i quote?

I did indeed and even quoted you.

Do you not think that if there was superior processing in the more expensive model it would not be being promoted as a major selling point by a company as consumer savvy as Panasonic.

One review of one sample in a consumer magazine against a company denying that a more expensive model does not have better processing

Which do you honestly believe is the more credible

Bob

I did indeed and even quoted you.

Do you not think that if there was superior processing in the more expensive model it would not be being promoted as a major selling point by a company as consumer savvy as Panasonic.

One review of one sample in a consumer magazine against a company denying that a more expensive model does not have better processing

Which do you honestly believe is the more credible

Bob

No, you quoted me, but for some reason left more important part which explains my words...
Why should i believe you more than that reviewer? Did you compare them carefully side by side on every available SD and HD material for hours? No.
I actually, remember reading here long time ago, that px600 was better than px60, but those were only speculations, now we have it proved.
We have two TVs from same manufacturer with presumably same processing (which afaik Pana never confirmed nor denied), now the more expensive one does much better SD, care to explain why?
And no, not necessary Pana would promote it as having better processing. Why should they? They sell them all perfectly fine.

No, you quoted me, but for some reason left more important part which explains my words...
Why should i believe you more than that reviewer? Did you compare them carefully side by side on every available SD and HD material for hours? No.
I actually, remember reading here long time ago, that px600 was better than px60, but those were only speculations, now we have it proved.
We have two TVs from same manufacturer with presumably same processing (which afaik Pana never confirmed nor denied), now the more expensive one does much better SD, care to explain why?
And no, not necessary Pana would promote it as having better processing. Why should they? They sell them all perfectly fine.

Then we simply beg to differ on the subject ;)

I however, and a great many others, decided that the extra £300 would be better spent on Hi Def DVDs, alcohol and loose women (not necessarily in that order) :clap:

Bob

Yetanotherbob, click the link to the HT mag review, then click the further link to the more-complete review in Ultimate A/V magazine. Near the end, Tom Norton says that while the PZ750 performed splendidly on a slow-panning scene in Gladiator, the cheaper PZ700 failed. How could that be, if the processing were identical? This is a review by a serious expert who put both TVs through their paces with identical equipment.

Which only proves that the more expensive models in Panasonic's Full-HD lineup, NOW, have different processing. Doesn't show anything about the PX60 vs PX600.

CHFels

As someone who neither has,or has room for,a surround sound set-up,I considered that the cost differential of the PX700 v the PX70 was justified for the superior integrated speakers alone.
"What Plasma & LCD TV" in their review of the 42PX700 said that it's integrated sound system "puts the audio capabilities of most flat screens to shame".
When one added in the extra inputs,I felt that the extra cost was justified.
Irrespective of whether or not the PX700 has superior processing,the PQ after 600 hours is just stunning.I do not see the various PQ artifacts that some people claim are rife on the PX70,so either the PX700 does have improved processing,or my optician missed defects during my recent eye examination!

SATM,
I bit the bullet and after weighing up the pro's and con's i've ordered a px700 to take advantage of exactly why you bought one,the improved features,namely sound.This mostly due to the missus not being particularly happy with the living room looking like a space station.

I take it you're happy with the tv then,expecially the sound ? I'll compare my set to my dad's px70 after its been delievered but am not expecting any difference pq wise.
Oh and i'm also a sucker for pip which i believe is on the px700.

SPARTANS,
I am very happy with the PX700.
The sound quality is surprisingly good given how thin/slender the speakers are.
A few weeks ago there was a documentary on Scott Walker which featured some music tracks with a very deep bass content and I was seriously impressed with how it was reproduced by the TVs speakers.
The mid range is very clear.
The PQ will at first appear soft,but this does improve dramatically with usage.
The recommended picture setting is "Normal" for SD transmissions,and "Cinema" for DVDs.Whatever you do,do not use the "Dynamic" setting.
If you are going to use the inbuilt freeview tuner keep an eye open for the next transmission date of the software update on www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_sc...ing you impressions of the PX700. Good luck.

Cheers,
its arriving next week,but is it possible for you to answer me a few questions re setting up please

Cheers,
its arriving next week,but is it possible for you to answer me a few questions re setting up please
I certainly will try.
However,if you search this forum for the "Panasonic Viera TH42PX70 settings" thread,I think it will provide you with a good kick-off point.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom