Panasonic TH42PX60CAB or a 1080p LCD???

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Frosties Kid, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Frosties Kid

Frosties Kid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I want to buy a new TV. Hopefully about 42". I will be using it mainly for playing consoles (like the PS3 when it's out) and watching movies. I am planning on spending between £1000 and £2000. After reading up I am totally convinced a Plasma would be better but in that price range it would be something like the Panasonic TH42PX60CAB. This obviously isn't 1080p so I wouldn't be getting the best res possible. The only way to get a 1080p res TV would be to get an LCD.
    So which would be better Panasonic TH42PX60CAB or 1080p LCD. Any ideas from people who know moore than me on the subject (or people who have seen both TV types in all their glory) would be appreciated.

2. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    I now have plasma and LCD. I say the answer depends on what you intend feeding the TV. If you're going for a gaming console (e.g. PS3/Xbox 360) or intend to connect to a PC, LCD is recommended, as you'll always be worried about screen burn with a plasma. However, if your focus is SD mainly with some HD, and are prepared to take a little more care what goes on the screen (e.g. Sky Sports logos etc), then plasmas are great for blacks, motion and value for money. Also, if you're not sitting very close to the TV, then you wouldn't perceive the extra resolution anyway.

3. TonyR321

TonyR321
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just went through the same thing - compared a Sony 46X2000 (running blu-ray) directly next to a Pioneer PDP507XD (running BBC HD). I thought the Pioneer was a much better quality picture, even though the Sony was being fed blu-ray! In the end though (if possible) try and compare both side by side. I had 90% decided before I went into the shop to buy the Sony LCD, but soon changed my mind.

4. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was deciding between plasma and lcd myself. Went for a plasma in the end (50" Fuji 58) as I found it gave a better picture across all sources, especially SD. Also, some off the stuff off Sky HD looks amazing.

LCD and plasma give different pictures (although, Ive been told you can make them look similar with setup) and I wasnt a huge fan of, what I would call the overly "digital" picture from the LCD.

Re. screen burn, Ive not found any hint on retention never mind burn, for the time ive had the screen and watch alot of Sky, especially the news channels.

5. RenaultSport

RenaultSport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Im also trying to decide between the panny and a 1080p tv (i've just sent one back)

I'm mostly going to be using sky hd and an xbox 360 and some sd (sky) The only thing that concerns me is that next to an plasma and lcd seems sharped and more defined than the plasmas, is this down to the pixel size? Or am i just seeing incorrectly set up plasmas? This was on an LG stand in comet all being fed by the same hd feed, it had 3 plasmas on it and 1 lcd.