Panasonic TH42PX60 still getting image retention HELP

madman1178

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi people.

I have had my tv now since january, i used the run in settings for the first 200 hours as advised by many on here.

It has now had many many hours of use but yet it still suffers badly with screen retention.

I have my brightness and contrast set at about 60-70% but if i leave an image on the screen for any more than 30 seconds it stays there, only faintly but its there.

The other night i played a dvd game and the title of the game stayed on screen for hours afterwards.

Is this normal?

cheers!

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I too have a 42" PX60, and it suffers with image retention from the XBOX, teletext graphics.

You learn to live with it and by exercising some caution with static images, you should be ok.

However, I ve just purchased a 50" PX600, and it appears to be more resillient to image retention as teletext graphics don't retain, unlike the PX60.

Hi people.

I have had my tv now since january, i used the run in settings for the first 200 hours as advised by many on here.

It has now had many many hours of use but yet it still suffers badly with screen retention.

I have my brightness and contrast set at about 60-70% but if i leave an image on the screen for any more than 30 seconds it stays there, only faintly but its there.

The other night i played a dvd game and the title of the game stayed on screen for hours afterwards.

Is this normal?

cheers!

I've had my 50PX60 since January, only time I've noticed any noticeable retention was when I watched a film for two hours with the black bars but have to admit even that went within a few minutes of watching something full screen. I have mine in Cinema mode and only have the brightness levels set to about 35-40% I find that bright enough for my eyes.

Hi people.

Is this normal?

cheers!

Doesnt sound normal. Sounds like its faulty still within the warranty though Send it back?

Using even the default 'cinema' settings will greatly reduce retention issues. This will set everything to about 40-50%. The only retention I get is with the stupid Eurosport logo when watching the bikes - it's not translucent and the white-on-red "live" logo is a killer. Black bars from watching a 4:3 broadcast or a 2.40:1 DVD disappear in about 30 seconds on my set.

Also I find the panel is more susceptible to retention in the first 10 mins of use so avoid any static images in that initial period if you can.

HTH

Also I find the panel is more susceptible to retention in the first 10 mins of use so avoid any static images in that initial period if you can.

HTH

He's had his for months not 10 minutes and he's getting the retention.

Avoiding static images, black bars and the like shouldnt be an issue he still has to contend with.

Fair enough running it at reduced settings to begin with but watching the tv constantly to make sure theres no logo on the channel or sky red dot or logo from a program (some programs have logos not just channels)
is just not on imho.

Any retention, if it happens which is on the screen should remain no longer than 10 minutes imo. Image retention for hours on end describes a TV to me that is not "fit for purpose". If it were me i'd send it back as faulty.

We need to hear more from people who have had their plasmas for a while (e.g. 4 months or longer). However perhaps the fact the forums havent been inundated with this by owners of plasmas means that its relatively rare :) Only problem is its one of those faults that may not appear until months later.

I've had my PX60 since last Sept.

Never had any real bad retention, few hours after watching a darts match on Sky.

But yesterday i played Guitar Hero II on Xbox360 for fair few hours in day and few more at night, and had BAD retention last night and even some still this morning.

I 'm just hoping it dissapears over time as i've never had any burn before.

My settings are Normal, for 360 and cinema for tv.

Think i will change 360 back to cinema.

Just quickly.

What is the best way to try and remove it?

Is it leaving tv on snow, or a white image or different coloured images on a repeat cycle?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom