• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic TH42PX60 or Hitachi 42PD8700 or LG 42PC1D for a

thefair1973

Hi All,

I'm going to take my first steps in to plasma ownership and i've pretty much narrowed it down to these three: Panasonic TH42PX60 for £999, the Hitachi 42PD8700 for £872 and the LG 42PC1D for around £850.

The good lady has put me on a strict budget of £1000, so these seem to be the best 3 I can find for this price.

Can anyone recommend one of these three sets, or any alternatives? Also, any places that do a really good 5-year guarantee too? I know Richer sounds are offering a 3-year guarantee for an extra £99, but really want a 5-year but dont want to pay loads for it.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOLKS!

thefair1973

the "purple snakes" thread has pretty much put me off the Panasonic, especially since Richer Sounds will probably be flogging older stock

camorra

IMHO the Hitachi 8600/8700 offers exceptional value for money and it has quite an exceptional picture :thumbsup: the new Alis 1080 lines panel give a very good PQ and has also good contrast compared to its predecessor panels :eek: :smashin:

Hope this helps :hiya:

H

Harry Botter

the "purple snakes" thread has pretty much put me off the Panasonic

Why?? It almost laughable that this should put anyone off buying the best selling plasma of the last few months. I've installed 3, and all perfect with very happy owners.

What's even more laughable is that anyone is even contemplating an LG:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: over a Panasonic.

You may aswell consider an Amstrad, a Saisho, an Alba, a Logik or a Binatone Plasma. LuckyGoldstar as they used to be known have always been and will always be garbage. The LG sets all having HD feeds in Currys is just clever marketing to con Joe Stupid, who, like the salesman, doesn't know his arse from a scart, into buying one.

Rant over. Just buy the Panasonic.

camorra

OK Harry Botter, you made your point and I agree with you can't compare LG with Panny :D :rotfl:

But, we should be helping each other here and try to explain and give reason for anyone's comments :lesson:

I've never seen purple snakes on pannys but it seems some do I guess its just like the case of rainbow effect with DLP's :confused:

Anyway, the Panny has to be considered, but I would suggest if you go for it just try to get some warrant for these purple snakes :rolleyes:

My final advice is to demo the sets as much as possible ;)

Hope this helps :hiya:

thefair1973

thanks for your helpguys. I am still tempted to go for the Panny anyway and only considered the LG because it got a glowing review in Home Cinema Choice.

Anyone know of a retailer who can better Richer Sounds' £999 inc the 5 year warranty? I know Play.com do it for £899, but it will cost more than £100 to buy a 5-year warranty.

Will John Lewis price-match Richer Sounds?

astonbilla

The previous two LGs have had rave reviews int he press - i really cannot see what is so funny about picking one of these up considering how cheao they are.

Also the whites blow away most other plasmas, coupled with their reasonable price and a raft of connections.

I would pick an LG over the lower end hitachi any day.

Also, the panny PX60 has an extraordinary display quality - really fantastic. Though some people can really notice the green edge on moving images and that may cause issues if you are gaming etc.

trooper762

Standard Member
Hi, I'm also considering the TH42PX60 and after listing a post on this forum, my fears have been lifted on going the plasma route. :thumbsup: But what’s this I hear about the 5 yr warranty finishing on the 24th Dec? I'm thinking of getting mine from Empire (Cab Ver) and I can’t find anything to say the warranty offer expires. :eek: It's just that I was waiting to get Xmas day over with before I bought mine or does it look like I will have to buy NOW :lease:

vlada

very responsable to recommend a panny that can come with purple snakes...yes it has great picture but glitches like that are not expected by a renowned manufacturer like panasonic. sorry. the same applies to any other big manufacturer.

H

Harry Botter

I think its very responsible to recommend a multi award winning 5 star rated TV that can be had for under a grand that was 2 grand a year ago (still is in PC World!!) by a top manufacturer, renowned for Plasma's. And has a 5 year warranty.

Mine, like many thousands of others have no need to post on forums because they are 100% happy, didn't come with a purple snake, a pink frog or an magnolia aardvark.

trooper762

Standard Member
purple snake, a pink frog or an magnolia aardvark :eek: ......Reminds me of a shop I visited in Hamsterjam. But i'll leave that for the other forum. :censored:

vlada

sure, let`s buy panasonic even with the glitches just cause it is a panasonic. don`t get me wrong I like their picture, but I am not willing to risk into buying one with any potential faults. btw the philips 9830 series lcd tv was multi award winning but it also had its share of problems. every manufacturer can have a bad product that is unreliable for some reason. look what happened at the sony batteries for laptops. these problems weren`t reported with the older panny plasmas, it just happened they made a bad batch. I am looking forward to their next generation cause they do produce a great picture, but if this series has problems, then people should be careful and not rush. that`s all I am trying to say.

thefair1973

I got a call from Richer Sounds to say they now have one available in my area, so picking it up on Saturday. A bit nervous about the snakes, but I went to take another look at it in Currys today (not the best place to demo, I know) and the pic seems fine.

Are there any issues with me transporting it home in my car? can I just de-box it and wedge it up against the backrest on my back seat wrapped in loads of bubble-wrap? I'm assuming I cant just lay it flat in the box in my boot?

CFC1

Distinguished Member
Don't lay it flat! Just make sure you transport it upright and you'll be OK. Did RS confirm the 5 year guarantee offer?

I've had the TV for 3 weeks now, and not seen a snake, eel or worm for that matter, though I did see a Kimodo dragon.... on Planet Earth in HD...awesome! :thumbsup:

daveha

Standard Member
Ah, I didn't spot the £69.99 delivery charge from Digitaldirect. I guess the TH42PX60 PED from Play.com is better value at £899.99 inc delivery.

Dave

H

Harry Botter

Ain't that the truth!:)

It sure is.

I'm watching mine and thinking why is anybody even remotely considering a Londis or Spar 42" plasma over a Panasonic??? Surely even the Morrisons 42" plasma, which admittedly is five star rated in Home Cinema Spazzer monthly is not a patch on mine even with its mysical purple reptilian accompanyments.

Lewie

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom