Panasonic TH42PX60 Dillema!

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by magnox, Sep 4, 2007.

1. magnox

magnox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all :thumbsup:
    This is my first post, so firstly hi to all and apologies in advance if I make any mistakes.

I currently own the samsung le32r73bd lcd television and have been looking to upgrade the screen for quite a while. The overall quality of the television has kept me happy enough while I have waited for a good deal to come up.

Today I have been offered a Panasonic TH42PX60 from my place of work, it is a display model, but is in excellent condition and has the big stand with it. I have been offered the tv for half of the original ticket price which makes it now £599 with stand and (hopefully) 3 year warranty free.

I wondered if I could please ask if this is a good option over my current samsung tv. I mainly use my tv for playing the PS3 and watching bluray movies and DVD's. My concerns with the panasonic is 1. The screen resolution seems to be 1024x768 over my existing 1366x768 am I going to notice much difference on games like heavenly sword etc on PS3. 2. How does the panasonic fare with motion e.g. action movies fast games. 3. The tv doesent have its original box and I will have to transport it home in a taxi, is this safe? 4. Am I going to be upgrading my tv/games/movies experience overall with the panasonic as it doesent have dnie which makes games on the samsung appear to look sharper?

If anyone could possibly spare a couple of minutes to help with these questions I would be very grateful :) Thanks in advance!!

2. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    If it has been used as a display model in a shop it must have clocked-up a few thousand hours by now ? What is the picture like ? Any sign of the 'purple snakes' issue ?

Panasonic has moved on with a few models since then. For a couple of hundred or so quid more - if you are willing to pay that little extra - you can get yourself a new plasma, a Panasonic 42PX70 for example.

3. magnox

magnox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for replying, there was no purple snake issue on it at all as far as I could tell. And the television has been out for about 6 months so it has probably clocked in at 1344 hours.

4. NatD

NatD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    TBH - if they were offering it you for around the £300 mark then I would say go for it!

I have seen the PX70 for as little as £800 with 5 year guarantee so for the extra £200 I would do that myself!

I have a PX60 and am very happy with it, but seeing though it has been on Display for 6 months (what setting...Dynamic???) then for peace of mind, on for £600 I would want a new screen!

5. Moolers

Moolers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Doesn't seem like much of a bargain to me! But it will definetly be better than what you have currently. I'd save a few more squids if I were you.

6. paullea

paullea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    there is a very good chance the screen does suffer from purple snakes.
    imho i would turn this offer down, add a few more quid and go and buy a px70 i have one and its snake free.

7. robfosters

robfosters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    No way mate. Honestly.

I have the 37PX60 and while it is a good TV, there's no way I would pay that much for an ex-display 42 model. The res (1024 X 768) is just not enough compared to todays standard.

Not when you see how much the prices of higer res 1080p's like the Samsung M87 have become. I'd save up a few more quid.

How much could you get for your Samsung?

8. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

Can you not ask them to lower the price ?

If you can I would go into the service menu & check how many hours it has clocked-up.

Then argue that on the basis of the hours accumulated & that it's a fairly old model now you want it at a much lower price :D

If the answer is NO then do as the gentleman says & put a couple of hundred quid towards something new :smashin:

9. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    Steer well clear of that, you can get a brand new one for nearly that money

10. BrianPK

BrianPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    If you can get your hands on an extra few hundred quid then buy a new model but if you are definitely at the limit of your budget and if the 3 year warranty is included then the 42px60 is a fab. flatscreen .I've mine for the past 13 months without any problems .It looks wonderful with SD and HD.I have never seen a game played on it however. Surely you can hook up your PS3 to it and check it out or do a search and see what other owners think of it with games.
    Any visitor (especially my wifes friends) who has seen my 42PX60 on its silver cabinet with my receiver, SKY HD box,and dvd player stacked at a slant underneath has drooled over it.

11. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Not a great deal. As others have said, a new PX70 or a Sammy Q97 for 200 odd more is a much better buy.

The res of 1024x768 is fine for ps3 (let's face it, it can't upscale any 720p games anyhow ;) )

12. magnox

magnox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all your help and comments everyone. Wow what a fantastic community. I decided to go for it due to money restrictions, probably would have gone for the px70 otherwise. Anyways got it home and am absolutley blow away by the quality of the picture and depth of field. I figure I also dont need to burn it in as it has been in the shop for 6 months and has just been displaying looping panasonic hd footage. I am for safetys sake going to stay clear of the dynamic picture settign for now.

And despite the relatively low res of the panel the blu ray performance is amazing. I was also surprised to find the television can accept a 1080p signal from the ps3, my old samsung couldn't do that lol ;) although I'm sure it scales most of the pixels away anyway.

Thanks loads and loads ur all the best

13. srobbo999

srobbo999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am glad you went for the screen. I bought a display model from Currys about 4 months ago for a bit more than you paid. I must admit I haven't looked back, no purple snakes in sight. I got Sky HD last month and the picture quality is stunning. Enjoy your set:thumbsup:

14. BrianPK

BrianPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Glad you're pleased. Did it come with the free warranty?As soon as you settle
    in with it you will find that Dynamic is totally unnatural.For some reason a lot of people(like me) are impressed with it at first but it quickly becomes unattractive to view.I see,also,that some of the more technlcally inclined people have said that constant running on this mode can dramatically reduce the life of the screen.Anyway...enjoy.:)

15. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Yeah I think dynamic just looks horrible generally. No loss at all leaving it off.

16. magnox

magnox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :)
    Yes, thankfully I have got the warranty so I have hopefully got at least 3 years use out of the tv :thumbsup:

And the dynamic setting although it is very bright and colourful (perhaps too overcooked on the colour count lol) the other modes I have been tinkering with seem to provide a very pleasing overall image with loads of subtle detailing and shades of colours, very natural to look at and not harsh on the eyes. Reminds me a little of the performance my old 36" CRT Toshiba 36ZP38 :)

17. google

google

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Magnox, I posted this in the other PX60 thread:

"I've had the 42PX60 for about 18 months now and find the following the best for my viewing:

Viewing Mode = Cinema
    Contrast = Approx 60%
    Brightness = Approx 45%
    Colour = Approx 60%
    Sharpness = 50%
    Coulor balance = Normal
    Coulour management = On
    P-NR = Off

I played about with the settings for about 3 months after I bought it and found that these worked for me and I have not seen any retension issues since applying them".

I just wondered what settings you have set it to and if they differ much from mine?

Cheers.

Scott