Panasonic-TH42PWD7BS input boards: PC to TV link via d-sub

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by _23_, Aug 23, 2005.

1. _23_

_23_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Could do with some advice. I want a plasma screen I can hook up to my PC.

My graphics card
    (Asus EN6200TC - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=197037)

has the following outputs...

Outputs from PC:DVI-I, D-Sub, TV-out

The Panasonic-TH42PWD7BS advertised at av-sales (£1200)
    (http://www.av-sales.com/proddetail.php?prod=Panasonic-TH42PWD7BS&cat=33&nav=16)

lists the following input...

TV input: RGB Input (PC) Mini D-sub 15-pin x 1 (VGA display & SVGA, XGA, SXGA, UXGA compressed display) fH: 15-110kHz; fV:48-120Hz

Question 1) Can I hook this straight up using the D-sub connection, PC to TV?

Question 2) Am I right in thinking the TV is supplied with a terminal board?

I guess it ships with the TY-42TM6D or TY-42TM6P board (source: pdf on av-sales, link above)

or does the TV accept this input without an additional input board (which would make the £999 deal at richer sounds a better deal!!)

2. _23_

_23_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should add that it will be a HTPC, not for regular PC use ;)

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You need no board to use the d-sub input. I think the DVI will be a retrograde step for you, due to lack of 50 or 75Hz support, whereas the D-sub takes just about anyhting you care to throw at it. It's usual to run 1280/720 with the PWD, even though it's not native. It gives true 16:9 so no aspect distortion, and gives a sensible windows desktop size. Don't forget to adjust picture position/size, it's never right out of the box. You just need a wall mount or stand and you are away.

4. _23_

_23_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks for your help MAW :thumbsup:

When you say lack of 50 or 75 Hz support, do you mean the DVI does'nt support it?

also is the the d-sub is just a regular PC monitor connection? so I need just a regular monitor cable?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Yes, DVI does not support 50 or 75 Hz for judder free pal video, the D-sub is exactly as you surmise, std vga cables fit it. I'd buy a reasonable one for the purpose.

6. _23_

_23_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, I'm happy now I can avoid a the whole input board complication. Am I correct the in thinking I can run the TV upto 120 Hz? (Max spec of the PWD7).

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Not all resolutions work up to 120Hz, and you need to stick to one which is a multiple of 25 for PAL stuff, if you have R1 DVDs you might like to change to 60Hz or 72Hz.