1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PWD7 + DVDo Iscan HD+

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Trevor spencer, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi

ive just bought my first plasma its a panasonic TH42PWD7 but i have a few questions

im thinking of getting a DVDo Iscan HD+ but what resolutions can this panny handle i thinks its upto 1080I on 60hz but just need to confirm, also pretty much all my stuff now is RGB scart so the idea was to still keep all my RGB scart stuff using my scart 3x splitter with a RGBS scart output lead so that i can connect all my scart gear to the HD+ and up scale it through the DVI-I output on the HD+ via a DVI-I to HDMI cable using the panasoinc HDMI input board

am i corret in thinking this would work fine , also would the Iscan output true hi def stuff like skyhd and xbox 360 on my PWD7 converting it to 60hz and displaying it at 1080I

sorry for all the questions but i want to get this right first time :lease:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Hello Trevor spencer

You and peterakastorm are competing for most questions in a single post.

Your Display looks at it best when you input Video signals at 1280x720P (50/60Hz) and let the Displays internal scaling engine re-map that signal to its native 852x480 resolution.

Frame Rate Converting your 50Hz signals to 60Hz (to accommodate the limitations of the 7 Series HDMI Input board) can be undertaken in the iScanHD+; though not everyone likes the results (especially so with sports).

You may have to consider using different Output Formats depending on what type of programme material you are viewing - I do something similar with my Fujitsu Display which will take a 1366x768P (Native) signal at 60Hz but not at 50Hz so I set my processor(s) to Output 1280x720P at 50Hz.

With your SCART RGB sources I'd advise that you get at least one SCART to 4RCA cable to test the difference between a Source > iScanHD+ connection vs. Source > SCART switch > iScanHD+ connection - it may be for your primary RGB source you try and avoid the SCART switch.

With any planned Digital HD Source signals you have the option of Inputting 720P and 1080i at 50/60Hz to the iScanHD+ and processing to your desired Output (up to 1080P), again though the acceptance of any Frame Rate Conversion of 50Hz signals to 60Hz is going to be source material (and viewer) dependant.

See http://www.dvdo.com/faq/faq_ishd_hdcp.html

With the PWD7 there may also be a requirement for a Black Box that enables you to convert a 720P or 1080i 50Hz Digital (HDCP) Signal to an Analogue (RGBHV) 720P or 1080i 50Hz signal; time will tell.

Best regards

Joe

3. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ok thanks joe ,, hmm that would be annoying if the HD+ ignored the scart switch box as i have about 5 scart RGB inputs

also where can you buy these black boxes ?

Thanks

4. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    no one will answer that question directly
    http://www.digitalconnection.com/
    these people sell all sorts, but they are over the pond.
    you could always google "DVI to VGA" :smashin:

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Hello Trevor Spencer

There's no reason not to use a SCART switch 'up-stream' of the iScanHD+ - what I was suggesting was you may want to try looking at the on-screen results with and without the switcher in your system; you may find its not totally 'transparent' and best kept for secondary RGB source switching.

There are two RGB capable Inputs on the iScanHD+.

I'm sure most folk who supply DVDO and Lumagen can also supply the required 'Black Box's :)

Joe

6. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    EDIT - Ignore me i think i understand the blackbox HDCP thing now :smashin: