1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PWD7 - advice needed

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by xedarius, Oct 14, 2005.

1. xedarius

xedarius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a PWD7 from Richer Sounds as they seem to be selling them for £999 which seems pretty good to me. However I need a bit of help with a few things.

First off do you think this is a good deal? I don't have loads of cash to spend on a HDTV pv500 so I figured this is a good option for the mean time.

Second I'd like to connect a free view box, my dvd player, an xbox and maybe my pc to the TV. Can you tell me what is the best kind of input board to get?

I notice that this seems like a popular screen on these boards, is there anything better in the same price range, or do you think this is the screen to go for?

Thanks
    darius

2. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Darius - this is a good screen, however for a little extra you could have a PWD8 which will give you a halfway house when it comes to HD. The PWD8 is HD Compatible and will display scaled down HD which the PWD7 will not unless you add very expensive scalers. Look at AV-Sales - they have a pretty good deal on at the moment.

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    If that is your budget and you are not fussed about HD you wont go far wrong....although the pwd8 is now available for a few hundred quid more and will at least accept HD via its HDMI input (optional extra).
    To recommend the best connections we need to know what you are doing for sound since an amp will give additional connectivity options.

4. xedarius

xedarius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I could probably push the budget to a PWD8 thanks for that. I will check out the deals.

Sound wise at the moment I have most things going through my Hi-fi. However in the fullness of time I will get a surround sound setup. I'm kinda treating this as a long term project and getting bits at a time. I plan on getting a Yamaha receiver and some wharfdale diamond 9.1 speakers.

Do I need to get an input board for the PWD8 or does it come with a bunch of holes to plug stuff into? :)

Cheers
    darius

5. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Darius,

I bought one from Richer a few weeks back and I am very happy with it. I also run mine through the hifi.

I don't have the xbox and pc though.

Good luck.

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    the pwd8 comes as standard with a vga input (same style as a pc monitor connection) and a composite board with S-video input. There are a variety of additional boards you can buy.....for example you could buy a scart board and connect everything to that through an external scart extender box, leaving the vga input free for your pc. As usual it all comes down to budget, you can get very good results without necessarily spending a fortune on the best results initially

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    also if your dvd player is a recorder that also gives other options as freeview can go in via teh recorder.

8. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Noooooo !!! Julian Richer must believe people except him are stupid !!!

Why on earth would you buy the PWD7 from Richer Sounds?

PWD7 £999 no stand, no interface boards - only VGA, 1 year warranty and you have to pick it up yourself

PWD8 is available delivered for £1295 inc 2 Year Warranty, stand or wall mount, S-Video/Composite Video input card and VGA accepts Component with a suitable lead.

Go on be crazy buy a PWD7 from RicherSounds THEN fight to stop them adding the obligatory £99.95 3 Year cover and THEN pay out extra to mount the panel and THEN extra again to connect anything to it!

Why don't people spell out the truth!

Gussie :)

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    I think we made it perfectly clear that the pwd8 was a better option......just not in such a 'heavy' manner

10. xedarius

xedarius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Thanks gussie point taken.

So where do I get a PWD8 for £1295? Link?

Thanks
    darius

11. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Anyone trying to flog a PWD7 with NO extras for £999 and then insisting you take out the extra £100 3 Year cover NEEDS the "heavy" treatment !!

12. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
  13. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
  14. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    beatchya :)

15. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    OK OK ! I've calmed down now :D

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Gussie,

To be fair Julian Richer is offering a screen at well below retail, he has had it at this price for ages, long before anyone else was anywhere near, it may not seem as good a deal now but it certainly was.

Try being a little more pleasant!

And if you think you can offer screens to everyone at a price you consider reasonable, get off lazy backside and get a deal sorted with a distributer and offer them to everyone. You are getting really boring just slagging off everyone who is trying to earn a living, that seems to be all you post about.

Darius,

If you want to hook up yur Freeview, DVD and Xbox you could do it like this....

Buy a PW8 from the forum offer for £1295 including delivery and stand/bracket, then add another £80 for a scart board. You could loop your dvd and freeview through each other and then one scart back to the screen (as long as one of them has 2 scarts) and hook up your Xbox with either composite, s-video or go in component with a VGA adapter, you can't do this on the PW7 as the vga input does not take component.

This is going to cost you around £1375 and when HD arrives you can add an HDMI board for around £100 to get that running too.

The PW7 will cost you £999, then you need to add £130 for a scart board (£85 is a special offer from av-sales when you buy the screen) and another £130 for a stand, bringing the total to £1260, You will then need to add componet and/or a S-video/composite board. The bnc component board is around £80 and the S-video board about the same, bringing the total to £1340.
    So all in all you will only save around £35 at most, and not be HD comaptible.

I think this is what Gussie was trying to say! ;)

17. xedarius

xedarius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much guys.

18. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Richer has NEVER had the PWD7 at well below anyone else - CHECK YOUR FACTS MATE !

You seem to take great objection to the truth !

19. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    And don't try to patronise me either.

20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    I don't take objection with the truth, I take objection to your boring ramblings, if you are going to put someone down, put the reasons why down too, explain the whole thing properly, don't just shout about somthing.

I own a company and know how difficult it is to make a profit these days, once you have paid tax, rent, rates, wages etc. you are happy to break even. Then you get jumped up little idiots slagging off what people do (And I don't mean you there Gussie) and telling them how it should be done, when they really have no idea how a business works.

What business are you in Gussie?

21. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would have bought the PWD8 from AV had it been available and within my budget of £1,250 (inc wall mount and JS converter) - which it wasn't. hey ho. ;)

Plus AV didn't have the black. As long as you're happy who cares :smashin:

Oh, and before I forget, no I didn't get forced into paying £100 for the warranty :lesson: