1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PWD6BX connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Crispin, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Crispin

Crispin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello to a fascinating forum full of knowledgable people which I have used to govern recent purchases - and no prima donnas...

Newbie 'connections' question here - advice gratefully received.
    I know this is a bit verbose for my first post - but I understand that clarity is always welcome on this forum.

I have a Yamaha RXV640RDS receiver, which serves me very well.

Connected to my ageing 2-SCART 4x3 29" Sony are the following:-
    An early Pace DVB single-scart decoder (yes I know it's rubbish, but I'm waiting for 5.1 developments in this area)
    A Panasonic video (fine)
    Toshiba SD-340E player

Currently the Pace connects via the Video into the first Sony SCART (16:9 switching doesn't work so I watch in letterbox mode) and the Toshiba get the other SCART (16:9 anamorphic works).

I'm looking to upgrade the TV to a Panasonic TH42PWD6BX plasma but am confused about the 'input boards' issue with the PWD6.

Q1. I would like to connect the Tosh via Component, and would like at least 2 distinct SCARTS for the Freeview box and Video. What basic connectivity does the PWD6 come with - and what board would I best be advised to get (apparently AV-SALES includes one with a purchase)?

Q2. I have ignored the various video connection possibilities offered by the RXV640, which quite frankly confused the hell out of me - would these help here to simplify the issues? It has no SCART inputs so how would the Pace/Video connect in? Just wondering.

Q3 I want the Panasonic to be audible without going though an Amp - do speakers generally come with this model?

Many Thanks,
    Crispin.

On an unrelated note - does anyone know if/when 5.1 sound will come over Freeview? I've noticed some newer decoders come with a digital out but I presume at the moment this is of little practical use.

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Q1. It comes with a VGA (D-sub) connector as standard. As well as a PC input, it also takes a component input.

Q2. The amp route can be useful, if you want to connect more than one component source and use the amp to switch. Doesn't sound like that's the road you're going down.

Q3. No speakers with this model as standard. It's a display, not a TV. You can either connect some suitable speakers (any will do) for general viewing, or buy the matching ones from Panasonic.

The rest of your queries have all been answered many times before. Have a search, and take a look at the beginners sticky thread.

3. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Get the component/svhs/composite dual slot board as it covers all options and is 2 boards for the price of 1.

2) If all your sources have s-video out then plug them all into the amp, and run 1 s-vid lead to the above board. If one of the sources has no s-vid then you have the option of downconverting all the inputs to composite and running a single composite lead to the screen.

3) speakers are an option, but I wouldn't go down that route.

In the future you'll be looking for sources with component out, 2 of these can be fed to the amp and on to the pwd6 (buy you'll need to swich channel manually between component and s-vid/composite channel). Or get an upconverting amp eg rxv750, so you need just the component connection to the screen.

4. scary

scary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Can a "component - VGA (male)" cable be used here to connect the amp to the VGA port of the PW6?

5. Fozz

Fozz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hey guys.
    I too am in the market for this Panasonic PWD6BX screen and have similar questions regarding the connections.
    (I hope I'm not hijacking Crispin's post! :blush: )

I hope to connect up my NTL Digital (am in Ireland) box which connects simply via a standard looking SCART cable.
    I also wish to connect a DVD player (will buy a new one).
    Now, I plan on buying an AV receiver and I am assuming that I connect the SCART from the NTL into that and also the (Component or DVI ?) connections from the DVD player to that AV receiver also.
    Then I would run the video output out of the AV Receiver and into the Plasma screen and the speakers would be connected straight to this Receiver for the sound output.

Can anyone advise me on this setup?
    What type of board should I get on the PWD6B to cater for my requirements?
    Is DVI better than Component for the DVD video feed?

I apologise in advance if my queries don't fully make sense as I am learning this stuff as I go with much help from lots of people on these forums.

Many thanks :lease:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  7. scary

scary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hornydragon...

Can you answer my Q.? I want to know if I can connect my amp output via component to the VGA port on a PW6 with a 'component - VGA' cable. Thus eliminating the need for a 'component' based input board.

Please help! Im wanting to purchase soon. TIA!

Mark

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes.
    You can connect a YUV component signal to the VGA input on a PW6 (not on a PW7)

9. scary

scary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks Horny... you've just saved me a ton :)

I've got:

SKY+ (pace) w/ 180GB HDD
    Chipped Xbox w/ HiDef kit & XBMC (Divx movies mostly, very rarely watch DVDs)
    Yam DSP AX750SE (placed order this morning)
    PWD6 (prolly ordering tomorrow) :D

...and Im thinking of ordering the Canton CD1's

Just as a quick sanity check, will all this be compatible via the VGA port if routing everything thru amp... or am I being too tight-fisted and I should opt for a component board?

Thanks again! ...and sorry for the hijack Crispin

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well as AV-sales throw in a free board i would go with a Dual slot board and Save the VGA input....... or just get the component board...(its free) If the AMP will upconvert the S-video from Sky to component then its fine all via VGA (looses some featuers of component board re-adjustment IIRC)
    PS have a look at the Canton CD2.22 ;)

11. scary

scary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks again dude!

Hmmmm.... how nice are those Cantons? Or should I say, how much :eek: ?!

Yes, the Yam 750 will upconvert - my reason for choosing it this morning. The only other that I could find (<£600) was the Denon AVR2805 - but it still mega bucks and I would feel bad, I wouldnt be able to use it to its full potential, and I prolly wont with the Yam, but hey - its £350! Sure I could have bought the Pioneer that you spec'd in the beginers guide for £209... but as I dont need the JS-Tech RGB2VGA, Ive just saved myself £125 to put towards the Yam... or extra warrenty. Cool huh!

Mark

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    there are hundreds of ways of doing it......... pio is a nice simple cheap solution Yam is a step up and will do you proud............. But those cantons are so sexy!!!!