1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PWD6BX @ £1299

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Cardiff Irons, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First stumbled across this forum a month or so ago (thought buying a plasma was like buying a TV - found out I was totally wrong).

Based on general consensus and particularly hornydragon's comprehensive input I'm leaning towards the Panasonic and have spent much of the day scouring the net looking for offers. Again, based on hd's recommendations I though the avsales offer was pretty reasonable (about £1750 for the TH-42PW7B BUT includes free board and wall mount).

Then, just to complicate matters, I spot Richer Sounds special offer for Panasonic TH42PWD6BX @ £1299 (no extras and I'd have to collect it).

Now I know hornydragon, amongst others, has a pretty low opinion of Richer Sounds, but is this offer just too good to refuse? Or should I bite the bullet and go for the dearer (safer) option with AVSales, which is the more recent model and includes some extras? Price difference at £450 would allow me to buy a wall mount and component board and still have plenty of change.

Appreciate thoughts on this to help a rookie. Cheers.

2. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    I like richer sounds, but would agree with what others say, get what u want in your head before you go, as sure as hell they will try and tell you its wrong and not to buy model a but to buy model b (good job cambridge audio dont make plasmas)

They dont sell the boards (cheltenham branch dont anway) so you need to get some from elsewhere which is quite hard so Ive heard., unless your happy to have everytghing through rgb scart, if so all u need is the rgb to vga adapter

regards
    jason

3. happyhiker

happyhiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    well I was in the same boat as you, but prefered the RS warranty so went with RS. Its not delivered yet so I can't say how easy it was. I used the spare change to buy a wall mount and JS RGB>VGA from AV-Sales, but thats also not arrived yet, so still can't comment.

I think RS is Safer than Av-Sales once you've bought the screen cos you can go back and complain, but thats just my opinion I'm sure others would disagree. Also, as I have to order the bracket and have the PW6 delivered its probably not much faster than ordering online. I just thought RS was a safer bet if anything went wrong.

4. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    try www.nexnix.co.uk they do the screen/stand and a board for a great price too :)

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its your money but if the screen has an issue who would you rather have sort it out..... cant compare the PWD6BX and 7 AV-sales price was £1549 inc scart and mount for PWD6 before stock went..... so actually cheaper than RS...... the 7 is a different screen..... I am also concerned about RS warranty not heard seen detaiuls but is it onsite? or RTB? if RTB return to where? TADL is On-site with hot swap (loan screen)

6. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's worth noting that, if you've got the model numbers exactly right, the 6 series you mentioned is actually the business model rather than consumer, which allegeldy has some additional features such as better Picture In Picture options (twin digitizers I think).

Although I'm a very happy 7 series owner, you may be better considering the Business 6 model as I've also heard that there are few advantages in the 7 series, plus you can't connect Component to the VGA socket on the 7.

Either way you can't go wrong - great plasma, great value!

:thumbsup:

7. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the valuable feedback.

blackmanalishi - I'm sure the model no. is rights as I did a c&p from the RS site. Anyone else have experience of the business model?

Also the nexnix site looks very reasonable and based on some of the feedback I might prefer them to RS (although theirs isn't the business model).

But then...the 7 is a newer model...

Not for the first time I'm more undecided than ever (the more you learn, the more it seems there is to learn) - however, everyone seems convinced that the Panasonic (whichever version) is a good buy.

Thanks again.

8. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

Hi Cardiff Irons, I bought my Hitachi plasma from RS in Cardiff and I'm very happy with both the plasma and the service I received from RS. Going by your sig I take it your in the Cardiff area?. If so your more than welcome to see my set-up and ask any questions you may have.

ASH1 :smashin:

9. garbon

garbon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to RS Cambridge, originally got phillips 37". Being a fool did not check screen and sure enough got it home and two scratches on screen. did not like picture so exchanged folowing Sat for pd6, did try to get scart board trown in by talking to store but no joy. After contacting customer services should be getting £20 petrol expenses and half price refund for board. I would get the wall mount AV sales if needed very quick delivery.
    Moral is check check check!!! (I had to sign the second time round to say no damage!) Good luck (I decided to go pd6 due to price no regrets)

10. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

Ash1, I really appreciate the offer, but I have to decline. If I come round yours and see an Hitachi that'll confuse me even more (at the moment I'm set on a Panny, just deciding on what model and what supplier).

I'm still undecided about Richer Sounds. To me it's an advantage to have a local store where I can go and make a nuisance of myself if I'm unhappy about the quality of what they provide. I'm also intrigued about this being a business model (which blackmanalishi reckons might be better quality than the norm).

But if I do go with them, where's the best place to buy component board and RGB/VGA converter (AV Sales?). I'd also want an AV Receiver and like the look of hornydragon's Pioneer 402 recommendation (although there is now a 502 as well, is that a better option?).

There's been some talk on these forums about high definition transmissions. I'll mostly be using the plasma for Sky+ (lots of footie and cricket) - should that influence the choice?

Finally, if I go the Pioneer 402 (or 502) option with the JS converter, is there actually any need for me to have a component board on the Panny? Presumably my DVD and Sky+ scarts go into the back of the Pioneer, which then connects via scart to the converter. If I'm right (and I'd appreciate input on this), then I could save myself the cost of a component board.

Sorry for all the questions, I really am trying to get the hang of this.

11. Stuart.Ainslie

Stuart.Ainslie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased my PW7 from AV-Sales due to their customer service and other recommendations from this forum paying their advertised price. Then looked on the web and dug out the lowest possible advertised price.
    Purchased it using my Barclaycard and then claimed back the price differential from Barclaycard via their price promise.
    Ended up getting PW7, scart board, S-vid board and wall mount for £1500 and still purchasing through my chosen supplier. :D :D

12. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well now is definitely the time to use the BarclayCard - their Price Promise has just finished, but providing your account was opened before 1st Jan 05 and you make your purchase by 31st Jan (and claim by April) you'll still be eligible. I'm in the middle of claiming £300 back having compared the £1499 I paid with RS's £1199 - no idea if they'll go for it yet...

re terminal boards: plasmaware.co.uk have the cheapest BNC component board i've seen, for £58 +VAT. It's advertised as being for the PW6 or PWD6 but should work with the 7 series too. I'm waiting for mine to arrive as we speak, all signs suggest it's a massive improvement over the SCART board.

RGB>VGA converter is £120 for JS Tech www.js-technology.com. I'm also considering getting one of those as they've been highly recommended on numerous posts here... :thumbsup:

13. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. This price promise thing sounds interesting - I do have a Barclaycard, so could use this. Stuart, where have you found the price comparison at £1500 for that lot?