1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PWD6 or PWD7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Trevor spencer, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi

i currently own a 29" 4.3 toshiba TV which ive been very happy with for the last 3 years but unfortunatly the RED Tube is on the way out :( so im looking at getting a plasma screen

ive noticed that the pwd7 has the option of having a HDMI video card slot but im a little confussed about this as i didnt think the pani's were HDTV ready ??

also im a huge gaming fan and currently run a chipped xbox plus PS2 and a lot of older console through RGB scart , so how do plasma's display in RGB scart mode ?? do they look good or would i need something like this

http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/cypress/cm-345s.htm

also the next gen consoles will be HD ready with HDMI outputs i presume so i can connect these to the PWD7 through the HDMI video card but will it display true HDTV format??

sorry for all the NOOB questions but im a little lost , also i own a sd220 tosh DVD player i currently use RGB scart but it does have a component output so would it be best to use this ? i also own a sony VTX-D800 freeview box so i presume if i connected this to the plasma via the RGB scart socket that would be my tuner sorted ?

i have a Denon amp so im not bother about speakers , but when it comes to stands is there only one type for a PWD6 or 7 or are most universal

many thanks
    Trev

any help would be great :)

2. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Trevor,

To help with answering your queries, your best bet is to use the "Search This Forum" section of the plasma forum. Search for "PWD7" and "PWD7 + HDMI" and you will get a lot od answers. To get you going:

1) The PWD range of panny plasma's are NOT HD Ready, as they only have a resolution of 852x480, i.e. not enough for minimum HD ready resolution of 720 lines horizontally. However, they can be classed as HD compatible in that they will show HD images, but they will downscale them to 480 lines
    2) The HDMI board is not recommended as it is not fully HD compatible. There are quite a few threads talking about this, check out this one for starters: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168496&highlight=PWD7+HDMI
    3) Yes by using the freeview box as input to a plasma panel will take care of the tuner issue. PWD7 will accept scart input with the right scart board.

However, this brings up more questions of the best way to connect if the PWD7 is your screen of choice. Others more experienced than me should be able to answer these questions. However, to help, what Denon AMP have you got. If it has video input's and outputs, it would help the connection issues. i.e. does it have say 2 or 3 inputs and 1 output?

Cheers

Andy

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi Trevor, sorry about the end of the deal. I think you need an 8 series anyway,the 7 is not HD compatible, the 8 is. It's not the board but the screen elecronics that limit it, the HDMI board in the 8 series is HD compatible. Is your amp an AV amp with video switching? You've got a fair few components, you need to make some inputs for the screen in addtion to those boards.

4. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi guys thanks for the info i think im starting to get the jizt of these plasmas now :)

my denon is a avr-1602 but unfortunatly only output composite which looks horrid

i think it might be best for me to wait for the 8 series to drop in price ,,

how do these screens look when they output 480I via RGB scart , ive been told they dont look to great,, also if i was to use components instead of RGB scart could i get 480P on compatiable equipment like xbox ?

5. Trevor spencer

Trevor spencer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    one more question it anyone can anwser :)

I was checking out the latest keene catalogue today and they do an upscaler in there £335.00 which up scales any video input ,, so i was wondering surley these would make older consoles look ace on a plasmas at 480p or 720p depending what screen's used

basically all my old consoles are scart RGB so the idea was get a RGB to component converter plug the components into the upscaler and then plug the upscaler into the plasma via either D15 VGA or VGA to component output

would this work or is it a waste of money

also can anyone explain what the difference between 3:2 pulldown and 2:2 pulldown is on a upscaler

as the upscaler supplied by keene is only 3:2 and the one supplied by letropacks says it also does 2:2 ??

cheers

6. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I beleive 3.2 is NTSC and 2.2 is PAL.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    dont waste your money on a cheap scaler either buy a proper scaler New £700+ S/H £400 ish or buy a screen with top notch internal scaler

8. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    welcome back HD... i know its only been a few days, but i bet thats an eternaty to you. hows the new job?

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Knackering but good fun............................and hotel internet is extortioante 14p a minute for dial up!!!! :eek: :eek: