1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PWD6 - any problems out there ...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lynneharvey, Jun 7, 2004.

1. lynneharvey

lynneharvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Panny 42" plasma at the beginning of February this year from AV-Sales, paid just shy of £3k. Last week a 1.5" band of black appeared top to bottom of the screen, a couple of days later another thinner band appeared to run from left to right and just recently there is a very small area of 'black' pixels close to the bottom left-hand corner. I have contacted AV-Sales as I thought they would be liable for replacing this unit. They have passed me onto Panasonic direct who have advised that it will only be repaired - even though it is only 3+ months since purchase. I have to wait approximately one month until a loan unit becomes available - using up more precious warranty time.

I am still going to push AV-Sales a bit as I feel that they are liable as they were the ones doing the selling.

Is anyone else having problems with their Panasonic plasma or have any of you similar difficulty that you've managed to sort out somehow.

Help - now poor and really hacked off!

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,932
    You know what I'd be ****** off about and that's having to wait a month for a loan unit. If it's advertised as an in home warranty with loan swap out then that just isn't acceptable in my opinion. Hope you get it sorted anyway

Andy

4. compo

compo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a sevice menu problem with my panasonic 42pa20b the sent an enginer
    who told me it would have to go away when he came he didn't seem to have a clue about the set. I was the phoned by panasonic who told me that the set was not covered by an at home warranty and that it would have to go away for repair and to add insult to injury they told me that they didn't provide a loan set. In the end i just paid an extra few quid and got 42pe30

5. L.SKYWALKER

L.SKYWALKER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I've had problems with different coloured lines(Blue,Red) fading in from time to time this started after 3 weeks(Pics posted)After a few phone calls a new screen arrived today(going up tomorrow).Hope this one is ok, bought from av-sales through Andy.

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,992
    Well I've been playing Ninja Gaiden on X-box tonight...and guess what appeared:(

The same black line, in exactly the same place:( Looks like I have a faulty unit then :mad:

Guess a phonecall to AV-Sales is in order on Monday morning:(

7. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    strange, are all these faulty plasmas from AV-sales because i was thinking about ordering one from them.. maybe they've had a faulty batch sent to them? :(

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's not just AV sales, though I've had none of those particular troubles, just the usual power supply thing. Panasonic are known to be pathetic about the 'at home' warranty. If you want a warranty you'll have to buy a Fujitsu I'm afraid. No customer of mine has ever had a Panasonic loan screen, I wonder if they have just the 1 or something? I have 2 loan screens for my customers, and a small collection of boards. This works for me cos 98% of my customers are within a few miles of me. Alastair & co have a different business model, he can't afford to do this with his profit margins, he needs to sell more screens which means casting the sales net further afield. If you want him to jump to it when you have warranty problems, and just replace your screens, you should have paid him more money to start with. Sorry to rant, but it seems pretty unfair to demand your retailer makes no more than enough for a bag of sweeties out of a 3k sale, then expect an instant refund/replacement, by return, if the manufacturer hasn't done their job properly. Give and take, guys, if you wnat the rock bottom price you should just expect the rock bottom legal minimum service, and from what's reported here you get a sight more than that from him, God alone knows how.

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,992
    Maw, although the original thread comments were last month and the plasma he had issues with was a few months old, I cannot help but feel the need to respond to your comments:

So you're saying that because the original purchase price is cheap (though £2k plus can hardly be called spare change for most people), people shouldn't expect issues to be dealt with in the same way as if they'd paid a higher price? Utter tosh.

No-one "demands" that the retailer makes no more than a bag of sweeties out of a sale...that's between the retailer and manufacturer, and that's nothing to do with the consumer. It's the retailer that sets the price, not the consumer.

I thought "rubbish" to that point too, but then I read "legal minimum"....which, in actual fact I do agree with:) So long as the retailer fulfills the legal obligations then that's fine. Which is why - after owning my plasma for 3 weeks - I'll be expecting a replacement for my dodgy plasma.

I'd just add that so far AV-Sales have given me superb service:) Nippy, if you look for other threads which show this issue, it's not something related to AV-Sale's panny plasmas, but Panny's in general.

cheers
    Matt

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Some points well made, but I do think there's a limit to how far they can go when operating on those kinds of margins. Of course, as a retailer, one is free to choose whether to make a sale at a price or not, I choose not to do this kind of business so I can afford to support my customers in the way they feel is appropriate. Maybe that's why I do very little business with forum members, I'm not bitter, it's not my thing, it's AV sales. They have a high reputation in general, good on them. All I'm saying is 'give them a break' They've done you all such a deal, to lean on them too hard is ungrateful. They and others rely on friendly dealings with customers, the tone of the thread is ' I want it now'.

11. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasnt saying anything bad about Avsales as I've seen the posts where customers have praised avsales for their good advice and friendly customer service while keeping prices low. I just thought they might have got a bad batch of plasma screens from panasonic that all.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello all

I'm not even going to go there with the pricing that some folk are firing kit out at - all I'll say is there are limits and for me I've lost plenty of potential sales to Forum members rather than be in a position not to offer more than the manufacturers back up service.

I try to warn all of our Panasonic customers that come the time 'we' need to rely on Panasonic for a 'loan' unit I'd advise to go without for a couple of days and get the unit into the repair system sooner rather than later; though I feel that Panasonic and its Service partner should have more loan stock than it seems to.

Like MAW we keep our own units in back-up just in case a Display has to go away for a prolonged period.

Strange as it may seem to regulars to these Forums we (TMF) actually sell VERY few Panasonic Displays to Forum members so if something like a batch fault does occur I guess it'll easily highlight who does sell most of the affected models to Forum members.

Best regards

Joe