Panasonic TH42PWD4BX or Fujitsu 4233?

G

Glenn Keen

Ok having done a lot of research and had a few questions answered on the forums I've come down to the choice between the Fujitsu 4233 42" plamsa or the Panasonic TH42PWD4BX.

Lots of people seam to rate the Panny, so I'll see if I can get a demo of one. The next question is how much should I be paying for the Panny + the Tv tuner + speakers?

Seven Oaks Sound & Vision list it as :-
Panasonic TH42PWD4BX Black 42" Ex. TV Tuner Ex. Speakers for £3999.95

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Glenn.

I'm sure Joe can offer a better price than that for the panny ... it might be worthwhile waiting to see how much further prices fall as the new 5 series is released soon .... thats well over £500 quid more than I paid for mine two months ago ...

general consensus on the tuner is don't bother ... if you need something then you would get much better value from a cheap vcr or use a sky or free-to-air digibox ...

The matching speakers i don't know a prive of as I suspect many people do what I do and use our main hifi/av speakers to deliver the sound ... the onboard amp is only a few watts I think though ...

Where are you based ... you might be able to get a demo from an owner that posts here !! (not that we are all eager to show off our kit !! ;-)

Thanks Jont,

Reason i want the tuner is Sky is only piped to room where it's going to be and not worth 2nd Sky box for a few months before I move!

Also I watch a lot of TV and oftern need to tape another channel whilst watching another, thus just using my VCR is out.

As for the speakers, I have a great Denon 10SE amp and will use that most of the time but i also use it on my PC and occasionaly just want the TV on in the background as well!

Thanks for the warning on the price, as i know the people in Seven Oaks it's mabey time to haggel a bit! :)

Thanks again for the info
Glenn.

not sure of current prices but when i bought my apansonic about a month ago i paid 3500... so you certainly shouldn't pay any more.

whatever your needs .......dont get the tuner. Its 500 quid and crap. (don't say we didn'y tell you). Although bear in mind that sevenoaks or any other dealer will try and flog you one till he's blue in teh face.

there must be a far better solution for a lot less money. Also, you'll want to go into the s-video or VGA

best advice is to speak to Joe Fernand of media factory asap

BTW: i demoed the panny & fujitsu side by side and imo there was no comparison.... fujitsu has lots of banding on it as well.

If you've got RF lead into the room where the plasma is going to be IMHO you'd get a better picture with a free2air digibox eg Nokia / Pace / etc ... AFAIK (and will be corrected) the panny tuner is analogue and doesn't do RGB out ??

It'd be cheaper than the panny tuner, much smaller (I think the tuner is about 420 x 300 x 150mm) and unless you live in a good reception area the picture will probably be better !! may also have coax digital audio output too (my Nokia has)

just a follow-up thought ...

Go 4 the Panny! And do not belive wot c in any showroom... belive me once u get it set up rite at home it WILL look tons better:)

Thanks for all the advice.

Having demo'd it tonight I think it's the Panny for me!:)

I'll give the tuner a miss and either get Sky+ or a free to air Digital box.

Final question, Panasonic TH42PWD4BX with stand on 12 months interest free credit and 2 year guarentee for £4000.

A reasonable price?

Many Thanks,
Glenn.

Originally posted by Glenn Keen

Final question, Panasonic TH42PWD4BX with stand on 12 months interest free credit and 2 year guarentee for £4000.

A reasonable price?

Many Thanks,
Glenn.

Glenn, techtronics.com are doing it for £3232.45 inclusive of VAT on the same interest free deal. One year guarantee though. I only wish my missus had let me get the bigger one.

Glenn,

personally i wouldnt bother with the 2nd year garuantee - esp.. when you can save yourself over 600 quid (which is what it would roughy cost to buy a 3 year guarantee !!)

i would pocket the 600 quid and if it breaks after year 1 then you just tell your home insurance people that you dropped it and you'll get a new one. From my research it seems that these things are either faulty in the first month or not at all. You won't lose pixels or anything in years 2 onwards and any screen burn won't be covered under the warranty in any case.

Also, for digial free to view box check out ebay... you can pick up secondhand on digital nokia medimasters for around 40 quid.

regards

Rich

Thanks for the info on the price!

Local Seven Oaks Sound & Vision swear that £3500 is below the trade price they get them in for!!
They think anyone selling for less is selling grey imports or B Grade ones (ones that failed quality control or have been returned as faulty and re-boxed!).

I know Techronics don't have great reputation but it's almost £800 difference!

Anyone know when 5th gen Panny will be out? As price for 4's should then drop!

Thanks Glenn.

I'm sure Joe F will be along soon to give a price or say about the 5 series ...

with regard to the price of the 4 series ... AFAIK there was a large number of 'charcoal/professional' screens that Panasonic professional offered to Panasonic consumer retailers at a very good price (these only have access to the silver/consumer screens) ... this is where the original batch of sub £3500 screens appeared a number of months ago ... understandably Panasonic professional dealers were a little p***ed to say the least and I think they were placated in some way ??

The current pricing is now more due to clearance for the new screens ... so 7oaks may have been right if they could only buy through the professional channels and probably reflects 'stock' as oppose to new orders ...

Thanks for that info Joint,

Interestingly the one I was looking at was the 'charcoal/professional' one!

Also thought you might like to hear a fuuny thing that the salesman told me right at the end of my discussion with him. After going though the usual stuff, which was OK he messed up by stating that the Panny has a great contrast ratio (which it does), but you would probably want to turn the brightness & contrast down to help the screen to last longer. This of course is valid info but he then spoilt it by saying that would increase the time before you needed to top up the gases in the set! :)

I wonder if he plans to do that a pixel at a time! :p

Thanks again for all the info,
Glenn.

may be a bit late for you but i have the 4233 and it is fantastic - can not see how the image could be improved on - side by side to the panny it is clearly better and ofcourse cheaper.

it is truly a beautiful bit of kit

cheers

Andy
:p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom