1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PW7 advice required

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by _kilgore, Sep 10, 2005.

1. _kilgore

_kilgore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, i'm new to the forum and, having read millions of threads, i just need some clarification. Apologies if this has been done to death, but i couldn't find answers to all of my questions. :confused:

I am on the verge of buying:

A Panasonic TH42PWD7 and
    Cambridge Azur 540R (both from Richer Sounds)
    A 5.1 speaker package

I will need to connect a DVD player, sky box, and a PS2.

I was planning on getting a BNC terminal board and a component cable to connect the amp to the plasma.

Can i connect the DVD to the amp via an optical connection or would i need another component cable for best picture quality -or would the DVD need to go straight into the plasma via another terminal board for the best picture quality?

I am also intending to connect the Sky box and the PS2 to the amp via composite connections to start with at least (the sky box picture is rubbish anyway), and then maybe upgrading afterwards when we switch to freeview, possibly with a RGB to VGA converter.

Will this work? Any comments or suggestions gratefully received. :lease:

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    yes you can connect the dvd to amp via optical / that or coax is essential for DD/DTS etc. I'm not familiar with that amp but so long as it has suficient video and audio inputs your ideas on connecting it would seem spot on.

3. _kilgore

_kilgore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers mep. i feel reassured :)

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    just to be sure, you are connecting dvd to amp via component and optical? The optical is sound only (sorry if that's obvious just that re-reading your post i wasn't sure)

5. _kilgore

_kilgore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will be doing so now :cool:

thanks again mep!

am i right in thinking i could get picture in picture if i connect a freeview box via the converter and vga route?

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    You will be able to do PIP / PAP between the DVD connected via component and Freeview connected via VGA or Sky connected via composite.

Surprised that you say your Sky picture is so poor (though it will be via composite). Have you tried the RGB output?

7. _kilgore

_kilgore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Piers

The Skybox PQ is poor -a long story but its predecessor was struck by lightning via the telephone line when out of warranty, and the Sky repair man kindly swapped it with a less faulty returned box which does work but is sometimes very pixelated... :rolleyes:

We have just opted for the 37" PW7 panel as the 42" just seemed too big for our living room. I now have even more questions about the input options having read and re-read loads more threads.

As i was not very clear on my original post... is it possible, with the Cambridge Azur 540r, to use inputs such as composite or s-vhs and output them via component? Is this up-conversion? Apologies if i have the terminology as well as the concept wrong!

Am i right in thinking a scart to component cable such as this from the Sky box to the av amp would not be suitable?

Finally, is there any difference, other than price, between the BNC and RCA component input boards, assuming i use an RCA to BNC component cable from the amp to the panel?

sorry for all of the questions and thanks again! :)