Panasonic TH42PW6B

S

Sim1968

Hi,

First time on forum. I have just purchased a Panasonic TH42PW6B. I am not sure what it will come with but I think it comes with a RBG scart. Can someone let me know what the best connections would be. ie DVD into Sky+ box and Amp into Sky+ and in via scart to the plasma? Also as I want to chase the wires above the fireplace should I be thinking of putting the wires into some sort of tubing?

Many Thanks

I have Sky+ a Sony DVD and a Sony 5.1 Receiver / Amp

Please let me know what the picture quality is like on this setup. I've got my heart set on a 42" panny, but I've been reading some horro stories about Sky+ boxes (Pace V2s i think) on this TV.

Anyone else with any input?

no offense intended sim, but am I the only one who finds it mind boggling that you spent over two grand on a plasma and are unsure exactly what you paid for? :confused:

without knowing for sure what board is going to be included, connection suggestion is impossible.... You should have been told what you are getting..... the display on its own wont have any board, just a vga input since it is designed as a commercial display

ad

I am using scart and generally happy with the results but going to get the component RCA board to get better results.

Originally posted by chachi
no offense intended sim, but am I the only one who finds it mind boggling that you spent over two grand on a plasma and are unsure exactly what you paid for? :confused:

I would agree, but it isn't uncommon to see this quite a lot on the forum...

more equity release one assumes! roll on those interest rates i say

Thanks for all your concern regarding my financial naivety. I don't see why I should explain to you why I don't know exactly what will be included but as I am in the middle of renovating my property and in no rush to set the screen up I have plenty of tiome to worry about add ons. Thought I might get some help but was mistaken.

Thanks Dean for some constructive comments.

Oh and by the way chachi, it was less than 2 grand.

Originally posted by Sim1968
Thanks for all your concern regarding my financial naivety. I don't see why I should explain to you why I don't know exactly what will be included but as I am in the middle of renovating my property and in no rush to set the screen up I have plenty of tiome to worry about add ons. Thought I might get some help but was mistaken.

Thanks Dean for some constructive comments.

Oh and by the way chachi, it was less than 2 grand.

easy there sim ... was not trying to be a weasel or unhelpful, just that given each input card runs £80-100 a pop it seemed odd that you would buy a plasma not having thought things through.

I too am in the midst of redoing my house but it did not stop me from taking a moment prior to ordering to think "I want to hook up X,Y and Z to the screen so I will need these inputs"

with regards to wiring, using 40mm white PVC water/waste piping makes it easier should you decide to change cables in the future (and thus can just tie off and pull through) but IIRC 40mm is insufficient to pass a scart connector through in this fashion

we genuinely cant help without knowing what card you have got....

ad

OK, point taken but my reaction was understandable after certain comments made., although thanks chachi for your follow up advice. I have since found out that the screen will be provided with a single scart card. This is fine I suspect for just connecting Sky+ or a DVD directly to it but I will need to connect them up simultaneously so I guess I need to invest in the RGB board, or is it possible to connect the DVD through the Sky+ and then through the Amp?

Thanks again

Panasonic TH42PW6B
Sony DVD - DVPS73D
Sony TAWE170 ( Integrated Amp) 5.1
Sony Commander AV2100T

Originally posted by Sim1968
OK, point taken but my reaction was understandable after certain comments made., although thanks chachi for your follow up advice. I have since found out that the screen will be provided with a single scart card. This is fine I suspect for just connecting Sky+ or a DVD directly to it but I will need to connect them up simultaneously so I guess I need to invest in the RGB board, or is it possible to connect the DVD through the Sky+ and then through the Amp?
  • use a decent RGB scart switch box and run them both via the one scart connector
  • get a JSMicro RGBscart->VGA adaptor and run DVD via it into the 15 pin input
  • get a JSMicro RGBscart->VGA adaptor and run both via it using passthru or a switch box

Originally posted by pjh777
Please let me know what the picture quality is like on this setup. I've got my heart set on a 42" panny, but I've been reading some horro stories about Sky+ boxes (Pace V2s i think) on this TV.

I have a PW6 and Pace V2 Sky+ box connected via Svid. Picture quality is very good on high bit rate channels - Ok on low.

My screen has been calibrated for each input with Avia. Well worth the £20 (amongst other things I was amazed at the amount of overscan (?) I had to remove).

A few weeks ago I felt the picture was looking a little less good than usual then heard that Sky had done something to picture quality with a software download. Knocking a few points off sharpness on the screen got things back to normal.

Don't hesitate to get this screen. It is fantastic.

JSMicro??

Is that supposed to be J.S. Technology? If so, click the www button below....

We've had feedback from customers that state best picture quality is still via the RGB to Plasma VGA unit, even if you have SCART boards installed in you screen.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom