Panasonic TH42PW6B Help Needed

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by bobbles, Apr 25, 2004.

1. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I am about to upgrade and I am very interested in this plasma. I currently have a TV with integrated DD5.1

I have done a search for advice on connecting devices to the plasma but I am still rather confused.

Currently I have

Sky+
    Xbox outputting via RGB scart
    DVDR which can output via s-video or RGB scart (not prog scan)
    DVD player which can output via component leads (not prog scan)

So can anyone please advice what I would actually need to buy to set all these devices up, I realise I will need an AMP but what spec AMP?

what input board do I need (can you get them with a built in tuner)?

Is there anything else I will need I have not yet considered, I would also appreciate price estimates on anything I need.

Finally how would I connect it all up?

Any advice will be much appreciated

:lease:

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can get a tuner, but it will only be analogue and given you already have sky+, why bother?

I can unfortunately tell you little about amps, im sure someone will come along and suggest examples which will be able to switch your signals. Altenatively you could look into a a j/s converter thingy which (i think because I myself have never looked into it) will convert your sources to vga then you could use the standard vga on the panny. Or you could get a video processor like a lumagen vision or the likes which is one step ahead in that it will do deinterlacing and scaling to the native panel resolution and then output again to vga. Both these will cost a bit more (the video processor the more expensive option) but will almost certainly give better performance. Also remember that doing it this way you wouldnt need a video card in the plasma since you could just use the standard vga input.

all the best

ad

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers ad apreciate it I have to admit i'm not 100% on what you mean

well I have to get an Amp so it would be sensible to use that to do all the switching (I think ??)

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, the info I gave you was on something that would replace the switching in an amp. By using a video processor or one of these J/S converters, you avoid the need for the amp switching plus you get a picture upgrade into the bargain.

ad

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no don't apologis all help is very gratefully received

I agree with you about the tuner thinking about it

I think I get you now, excuse me if I am wrong

using the amp method you plug all your devices into the amp then only from the amp to the input board but this means you have to switch the amp when you want to switch the device.

Is an input board basically what is on the back of a tv as standard but you pick the inputs you are going to need?

So I would be able to plug all my devices into this video processor? If I got one would I need the input board and how much are we talking here?

thanks again

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looked into a lumagen vision it costs over £1000 inc vat so it is really out of the question

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You pretty much got it right on the spot.

Ref the video processors: The new lumagen dvi is retail at £800 when it hits the streets in a month and a bit. The older model which you likely found info on (I assume the vision) would almost surely be able to be bought at large discount. If you couldnt buy a new one at cut price, then you could almost definitely get one second hand. Alternatively there are the iscan range of processors which could probably do a reasonably good job too. If you used any of these, you would only connect to the vga (or dvi) on the plasma, hence you need no input board (well if you used dvi, you would, but this doesnt seem to be the best way of doing it).

all the best

ad