1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PW6 v Sony KE42MR1

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by vblue, Sep 3, 2004.

1. vblue

vblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

New to the forum and looking for some advice. I'd decided to make the plunge into plasma and had decided on the Panny PW6, but have now been swayed by the looks on the Sony KE42MR1, with the 'floating' screen look.

Have read some reviews on the Sony however, which state picture quality isn't that good. However, these are older reviews when the Sony was retailing at 5-6k.

I can get the Sony for 3k now and the question is does anyone know how the picture quality compares to the PW6? Or are there any owners of the KE42MR1 that can comment on how good, or not the picture quality is?

Thanks

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Saw an MR1 recently and though it looks nice, it has not aged well picturewise. It has a distinct lack of colours compared to other screens. When I looked at them myself it soon became apparent that it doesn't handle variations in shade well at all. Lots of dot crawl in dark areas (I used Godzilla as a test disc, plently of dark shades in that!) even using component.

The replacement (MRX1) is head and shoulders above it but that's nearer £5k. I had a panny 6 some months ago and other than I could see flicker, the picture on that was far better. Even with the flicker, if someone gave me money and a free choice between them I'd pick the panny.

Oh, and I'm normally very keen on Sony stuff but I wouldn't buy one now - things have moved on considerably in terms of picture quality. Putting it simply, it's not worth the money and it's not a great picture.

3. vblue

vblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. looks like it's got to be the
    panny then.

Cheers