1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PW6 Questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by EpsomJames, Jul 2, 2004.

1. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all

I am new to the world of home cinema, having been stuck in the 4:3 age up until now. I've been browsing the Internet like you do, and happened to chance across this very informative forum which I have just signed up to.

Anyway, last weekend I took delivery of a Panasonic TH42PW6 plasma as my first step to home cinema heaven. The picture is much better than I expected however I have a few questions which I haven't been able to find answers to by searching the forum.

In the last day I've noticed a high pitched buzz coming from behind the plasma which wasn't apparent when I first set up the plasma. Of course I might have been blown away with the picture and size of the thing to not notice before. It is particularly noticeable whist watching the tennis. Is this normal?

I've set the brightness and contrast to 0 and sharpness to 3, is this too high for the run-in period? How long is the run-in period?

I heard mention of a hidden menu that allows you to see the operation hours. How do you get to this?

At the moment I just have a scart terminal board connected to a SKY+ box using a bog-standard scart cable. Does an expensive scart cable make any difference? Any recommendations?

Next stage will be a DVD player and component board.

Cheers
    James

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    im sure if you do a search on this forum in fact the 1st page you will find the best way to hook up your sky box ;)

3. sargetheboss

sargetheboss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    got my panasonic 42pwd6 yesterday. my contrast is set at -12 and brightness is -15 .i think your settings may be a little to high from what others have told me on the forum.yes my one does buzz a bit only if you get up close to it.get decent scart leads it does help. :smashin:

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The buzz is more apparent on some screens, if you have a 'screamer' rather than a 'moaner', you should consult your retailer. It's pretty subjective, I have a customer who complains his is noisy when I can't hear it, and one whose screen is positively deafening, yet says nothing. But then he is a Led Zep fan.

5. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Mine didn't buzz on day one but I started to notice it from day two. From the viewing distance you can hear it if the volume is low but only if you know to listen out for it. If your right up next to it its obvious. Guess its hard to tell if you havea screen thats too loud or normal!? Maybe wall mounting will help as it will sit closer to the wall and there will not be as many air vents for the soun to escape? Probably total rubbish but just an idea.

From day one my contrast has been at 0 and my brightness at +1. I had lower settings but found the dark areas where obviously over dark so I turned it all up again.

6. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks all.

I can only hear the buzzing on quiet bits (like the tennis with pauses in sound) from my normal viewing distance or when up close. It's coming from what looks like 2 transformers either side looking down from the top of the plasma. When you switch the plasma on it's not evident but after 5-10 minutes you can hear it. I guess that's pretty normal then.

At the moment I have the plasma on a pedestal stand a fair distance from the wall but I plan to mount it on the wall in the next week or 2, so I'll let you know if that helps.

I've set the brighness and contrast to -10 which looks ok. Where can I get this set-up DVD from that I keep hearing people mention?

Any ideas about the hidden menu to access the hours used?

7. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    out of curiosity mate what is your viewing distance?
    im buying one and will sit quite close

8. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Hidden menu can be found doing a search on the forums for 'hidden menu'!!! Set up disks are either DVE (on Amazon), Avia which can be found on Google etc. I think they are about £20 but well worth it as even when you think the settings are ok they are nearly always miles away from where they should be!!!! Also put it on the wall it looks fantastic!!!!!!

9. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm sitting 9ft away (270cm approx) at the closest distance, and i'm still getting used to the size, but I have been viewing a 14" portable at the same distance for the last 6 months (since my last TV packed up) so anything is going to be huge.

You definitely don't want to be closer than 6ft away IMO.

10. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    about 8ft m8 so it will be fine i think

11. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks all.

I'm still a bit concerned by the level of high-pitched buzz, however. I'd say it was more of a 'squealer'.

I do live in a quiet area in a new-build detached house (double glazing, sound insulation in the walls etc) so the level of background noise is very very low.

At the moment (until my receiver arrives) I'm using the internal amp on the plasma to power 2x Mission 780 speakers, and with the volume on 10 (out of 50?) which is low to mid-volume in my book, I can hear the buzz over the sound.

The plasma is on a pedestal stand at eye level about 6 inches from the wall. And I'm sitting 14 feet away from the plasma.

Does that sound like normal level of buzz?

12. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Strange as I have never noticed any kind of buzz... only if I literally put my ear against the screen in a dead quiet room.

13. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Same for me I can only hear mine if I walk right up to it and listen closely, sounds like you may have some sort of problem? Have you tried unplugging the speakers you have plugged into the Plasma itself as maybe this is causing some sort of problem, I don't think many on the forums use the internal amp to create sound most use external amps etc. (Just a thought anyway)

14. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Nictry - I'll give that a try tonight, thanks. Otherwise I'll be phoning the retailer tomorrow.

I was starting to think I am being paranoid, but I just talked to a colleague at work who has a Panasonic 5 series and he said his is totally silent.

And this is coming from someone who imported a PC from Sweden because it is the quietest out there, and even thinks the SKY+ box is too loud.

My plasma buzz certainly drowns out my SKY+ box by miles. :( :( :(

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    If you can hear it at 14ft over 'normal' listening levels, I'd think it is a 'screamer' so to speak. I'm at your end of the A3 if you need a 2nd opinion.

16. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Maw

Which restaurant at the end of the A3 are you at? I may well take you up on your offer.

Cheers
    James

17. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Big thanks to MAW for your advice the other day.

I'm trying to resolve the problem with the retailer, will post again when it's sorted.

18. fitz62

fitz62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was on the verge of buying a tiny plasma. ,when i stumbled across this forum i made a quick u turn cancelled the tiny one and high tailed it to richer sounds. i picked up the pannt for £1099,rigged it up to a deawoo reciever and im delighted,im using a yamaha dspa2 amp with monitor audio speakers. ibought a dvd recorder.the packagefrom richer sounds was
    panny pw6
    stand
    reciever
    lg dvd recorder
    it came to £1620,EXELLENT picture no buzzing or probs :clap: as yet thanks for pointing me in the right direction

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    fitz great stuff but take that horrid tuner back and set it p with a DVDR or FV box!!!!

20. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just turned all sound off and stuck my head next to my pw6 and can bearly here anything. Saying that I am a drummer lol.