1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PW5B v Toshiba P42WP16

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bish, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Having been into AV for many years you can imagine my delight in having recently discovered this forum, it has been most entertaining, enlightening and sometimes down right confusing reading about all the 'goings on' on planet AV.

If any of you have seen the most recent addition of What HiFi, you will have seen the latest RicherSound advert, they have just knocked £100 off the price of the Panny W5 to £3299.99 and amazingly they have the Toshiba P42WP16 at £2999.99 - called my local store y'day and had the prices all confirmed.

After auditioning the W5, 433HDE and Hitachi with Arcam 88 plus, i was blown away by the PAL prog scan image reproduced on the W5 and have decided to make the purchse. I understand that the Tosh is simply a rebadged Panny W5 but its £300 cheaper!!

Here's my question....

IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE AT ALL (apart from remote and on screen menus) BETWEEN THESE SCREENS??....news on any difference in connections, picture quality etc would be greatly appreciated...

Also, just to clear up a few John Lewis issues...I called their HQ y'day to get some clarification and this is what i was told.

"With immediate effect, the John Lewis chain are no longer authorised to sell the Panasonic W5 screen on its own, it must be sold as a package with the tuner box and terminal board. Until recently, some stores were able to sell just the screen, but we've have had many customers coming back to us with connection difficulties etc..that we no loger sell without tuner and the connections it provides"

2. johndonovan

johndonovan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as an fyi, I think this only applies to 37 and 42, not the 50". I was in a branch on Sunday and the guy there confirmed this.

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the only diff between the panny and toshiba i think is the warranty the panny has a one year on site and the toshiba comes with a 2 year return to base warranty. i have the toshiba and i am very happy with it and its silver and the silver panny was alot more money at the time i was looking

4. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panny 5 and the Tosh 42WP16 are NOT exactly the same panel to my knowledge . . . that Tosh is a clone of the previous version, the Panny Series 4. I don't know enough to go into the differences myself between series 4 and 5, but a search on this forum should provide the info you need.

The Toshiba 42WP27 IS identical to the Panny Series 5, other than the warranty details as JMack states above.

5. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Excuse me for being thick, but is this the Toshiba 42wp27B?

I'm very interested in the 2 and would also like to know if there are any differences...

Thankyou.

6. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding;

Panasonic TH-42PWD4B = Panny Series 4
    Panasonic TH-42PWD5B = Panny Series 5 (Newest Model)

Toshiba 42WP16B = Panny Series 4 Clone
    Toshiba 42WP27B = Panny Series 5 Clone

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your understanding coincides with mine here, Monty.

8. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, why is the Tosh £200 cheaper than the Panny (at Richer Sounds at the moment)? And why do more people seem to go for the Panasonic..? Anyone?

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    Panasonic have a 1 yr on-site warranty the toshiba is a return to base warranty. Worth £200 to some people I suppose. Mind you

Andy.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I gather your tosh might be away for some time if it goes wrong, some faults require panasonic's attention. I wonder how far up their priority list the tosh comes..

11. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My guess...
    1. Official UK Panny
    2. Official UK Tosh
    3. Grey Euro Panny
    4. Grey Euro Tosh

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My guess is the euro panny will come before a tosh, and that 'grey' word is reserved for imports from outside the EU. But then they don't go wrong much, it's part of what you pay for.