1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PW5B terminal board

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Truffles, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Truffles

Truffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help, I'm out of my depth. I've just received my screen from John Lewis. I expected a tuner and terminal board, (which I didn't need) and a RCA board which I thought that I did.

However, the board that was included had a serial port which is absolutely no use to me whatsoever. John Lewis are saying that the Panasonic tuner is better anyway for quality and because you don't have to keep unplugging the different cables for the different equipment. Has anyone else been down this route with John Lewis or can offer any advice.

2. lonny

lonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Truffles,

I ordered a TH42PW4B from JL (Oxford St) in January. It came labelled on the box as TH42PW4BX which I understand means no connection card supplied. The phono connection card was supplied separately which I fitted myself.

I understand JL have changed their policy to only sell the plasma screens with the tuner box as so many people they were selling to were moaning about connection problems.
    I think you'll just have to argue with them.

Lonny.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Truffles

I'm assuming that what has arrived is a display (TH-42PW5B) fitted with the Tuner Terminal Board (TY-42TM5H) and JL are now trying to sell you the Tuner (TU-PTA600B).

Tell JL you are intending to hook a PC into your Plasma Display and ask how they would hook your PC into the system once the Tuner is attached to the Tuner Terminal board!

Once the Tuner Terminal board is present in the display and the umbilical cable to the Tuner attached the VGA port on the display is disconnected and there is NO VGA port on the Tuner.

Hope this gives you some ammo.

Best regards

Joe

4. mike.gibson

mike.gibson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume that the cost of the tuner and the board that goes with it were included in the price; or did you pay extra?

You don't need the tuder or the board that comes with it; just the RCA terminal board which has composite/S-Video and Component/RGB on it.

Did you want the tuner as a terrestial tuner or as a SCART switch?

5. Truffles

Truffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the slow response but John Lewis have been an age responding to me. The situation is, I have the plasma + tuner + tuner board, bought as a package. I wrongly assumed that it would also come with an RCA board, but John Lewis have given me a choice, take it or leave it!

So my next question is, where can I purchase a reasonably priced RCA board, and will the improvement in quality be worth the outlay.

6. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Truffles,

I bought my Panny W5 42" through John Lewis Watford about a month ago. JL deliver TH42PW5BX models, the 'X' signifies that the RCA Terminal board has been removed.

I was forced in to buying the tuner and tuner terminal board like you so i could secure the price match and 5 year warranty - but was also supplied the RCA borad FREE OF CHARGE. They should not be charging you for this, they are removed to lessen "confusion" as JL have to sell with tuner.

Speak to John Lewis Watford, the AV manager there is a guy called Chris - he knows the deal with all this and will more than likely sort you out.

cheers

7. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Truffles

Truffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bish, I rang Chris at JL Watford, I found him very knowledgeable and knew his stuff, but better than that he was helpful. Then I got my man at JL to talk to your man at JL but the outcome wasn't so good. It looks that I purchased the screen just at the wrong time as JL have changed their policy and they now only sell screens with tuner boards and anyone who had an RCA board included would have bought the residue stock before the change of policy.

Then Labs posting pointed me to the link on Ebay. What a stroke of luck. Thanks Lab. The card was just what I wanted and what was even better was that the Company selling it was within driving distance. I've just shot up there and bought one. So now I'm back to plastering up the chimney breast so I can get this beasty on the wall.

Thanks all.

:smashin:

9. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Truffles
    your`e welcome, glad to be of help.How lucky are you that it was close by,have you thought of doing the lottery tonight:D :D
    Enjoy your new toy and don`t forget to post a piccy.

10. Truffles

Truffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, the bracket is up now and I've started laying in the cables. The cable that goes from the screen to the Panasonic tuner box isn't long enough, does it need to be a Panasonic replacement or does anyone recommend a cable.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    tuner board to tuner is panasonic proprietary cable, they can be hell to get, but are theoreticall available as a 10m cable. This will be round about £250. So, are JL still a good place to buy a plasma? They should have told you a lot more than they did, and have probably cost you a lot of money.

12. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Truffles

I am totally confused now, I thought you weren`t going to use the tuner and tuner board, surely the rca board you purchased cannot be used at the same time as the tuner? Or have I got this wrong?

Anyway if you are still going for the tuner board I believe it is a proprietary cable so you will need to purchase a longer panasonic version. I have seen them mentioned in another thread somewhere, I will do a search and see if I can find it.

In the meantime could you confirm exactly what it is you have and how you are connecting them just to clarify.
    Cheers
    EDIT
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetailsnew.asp?modelcode=PAN-TYSCP15C03
    This is a 15m extension cable for the tuner, it may well be available cheaper elsewhere, this was my first attempt at finding it.

13. Truffles

Truffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lab

We are going down the RCA route but the idea was that while everything is still easily accessible we would futureproof by putting in any cables that we might need should we decide to change options later on. Well that was the idea until I read that it could cost £250. We are now definitely sticking to the RCA route!

OK, back to the manuals and trying to sort my connections.