1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PW5 vs Philips 42pf9965

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jme, Jun 12, 2003.

1. jme

jme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been planning to buy a 42" plasma soon and have been watching the forum for a few weeks now and after a lot of though I have come down to the two models in the topic. What I would like to know is if anyone has actually compared the two. I have watched the Panasonic and the Philips 42pf9964. From that test the panasonic wins but the question is how much better the new philips is. Please dont say its crap because you saw pixel plus on a CRT tv a few years ago. Philips has apparently added some new changes to its pixel plus tech (Philips new pixel+) and also increased the contrast and brightness of the 9965 compared to the 9964 (From 400:1 / 600cd/m2 to 1000:1 / 1000cd/m2) and that should hopefully make it a bit better. The question is if it beats the panasonic. The Panasonic does miss some things that I'm more or less worried about. No HDTV resolution, some panels can buzz and flicker.

So in short has anyone been able to see these two together or seen the 9965 at all and can give some input on it?

/Joakim E.

2. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi, I'm looking also for a 42" plasma. and i just saw the panasonic, phlips, jvc,sony,pioneer and toshiba.

From all, i'm enjoy the jvc ,pioneer and sony.
    The sony has a built in tuner so it's off.
    so now i'm will buy the jvc or pionner.

The philips is good, but not an excelent image like the others.

3. jme

jme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you did actually get to see the philips 42pf9965? I got to see the Pioneer 433 at a store but it's PQ was extremly grainy. Even from a DVD. However I'm not sure if he had set it up right.

A thing thats a bit annoing is that philips themselfs dont have much info about the 9965. I managed to find some information but to make matters more confusing (Seems like thats something all plasma makers loves to do) they have a 42pf9965/12s model. That one doesn't have any increase in contrast/brightness.

4. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I saw the philips but i don't enjoy the picture, in my opinion that's have a smooth picture. Try to compare with jvc PD42D30ES.

5. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    'Fraid I can't help either...

I'm in a similar quandary myself... the Panasonic TH42PW5 and the Philips 42pf9965 are on my shortlist. However, I'm also considering the Hitachi 42PD3000 and at just under the £3K mark was wondering why you're not considering that one as well? The mags this month are giving it some top reviews...

Just seen one while out on a wander this lunchtime and without doing a proper demo, certainly seems very impressive.

6. jme

jme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reson I only choose those two is because they are sold from a major chain here in Sweden and I dont want to order a big expensive thing like a plasma from a place where I cant get propper support and possibly a replacement screen quickly.

If I get it correctly so does the 42PD3000 and the philips 9965 use the same screen they are both 1024x1024 alias screens if my memory serves me correctly. But what put me of from the 42PD3000 is that it has a buzz. Some say it's loud others say they can't hear it.

After some more digging I have decided to go with the 9965. It's brightness and constraints are actually 1000c/m2 and 1000:1. The /12s is what country the screen was made for. Most importanly after talking to actuall owners of the screens that have been very happy with it.

Cheers
    Joakim E.

7. marcello

marcello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have the 9965 42 inch. Picture once set up was absolutely stunnung once set up properly but unfortunately unit has only lasted a week. Now its in there workshop for repair