1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PW & Aspect Switching

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RXY, Aug 15, 2004.

1. RXY

RXY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been reading through the various comments on the forums for the past few weeks now and think I have finally settled for a Panny TH42PW. I think my order will look something like:

TH42PW6B
    Scart Terminal Board (From Sky Box)
    Scart Terminal Board (From Amp - DVD and PC linked through Amp)
    Composite & SVHS (Not sure what I'll use these for but seem like a good idea, might connect DVD picture directly and sound through the Amp)
    Speakers
    Pedestal Mount

I do have one question though, which I hope someone can answer. What happens with aspect ratio switching? If I plug in the Sky box via Scart to the screen does the Panasonic show a 4:3 image with black lines down the side, and 16:9 full screen?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Does your Sky box not have a setting to switch between 4:3 or 16:9? I have an ntl digibox and that has three selectable settings: 4:3 pan&scan, 4:3 letterbox and 16:9, once the digibox is set to 16:9 the TV receives an image that fills the screen. I would guess your Sky box is the same?

*EDIT* The screen is always filled by the way. The screen will switch between WIDE or Panasonic Auto depending on whether the box is sending out a true widescreen signal or not. It's only when you select a different aspect ratio that the TV will switch between WIDE and the last aspect ratio mode that you selected.

S.

3. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    Hope you can help with my possible viera problem.
    Over the last 3 days or so '2' DVB channels No 2 and No 18 (whilst panasonic auto is selected) have black bars down each side, both show there is a wide screen signal but the screen is not being filled ?

Note both of there channels worked as should ( full screen ) for the past 5 weeks or so.

Is this a problem showing up or is this just a bad signal ?

Thanks for your help

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    the panny SCART terminal boards don't work very well!
    JS SCART plasma to VGA box is much better and costs £125

Why would you want to use composite or s-video??
    your sky and dvd player can both produce scart RGB outputs