1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PV500 - Where to Mount It?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Sundip, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Sundip

Sundip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first posting but have read many of the useful threads on your forum. I would like to mount a PV500 over a practical fireplace with no mantlepiece but have received conflicting information about how it would stand up to occasional heat from behind through the chimneybreast. I was planning to fit a stud wall in front of the chimneybreast to conceal the cables but wonder if I could go further and set the front of the panel flush with the new surface. Do these panels run hot? Any advice from owners would be helpful. Also, does anyone have experience concealing the support equipment in a cupboard and using a device to redirect remote control signals? If so, what device should I look at?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
    The panel needs ventilation.

I don't think the heat from the chimney breast behind would cause a problem - try the old thermometer trick, have the fire on full and check a few different places to see how hot it will get.

Plasma's would usually shut themselves down at 100F, not sure about the PV500.

I am just hiding my wires behind the plasterboard, and about 2cm of the bracket, that way your wires get hidden and the plasma will be well ventilated.

3. Sundip

Sundip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just went round to a local dealer to check one out and I can see that it needs some airflow to keep it cool so I guess I'll follow your lead. Now the problem seems to be sourcing a set at a decent price - RGB and Totally Digital are both out of stock of the wall bracket version. The best my dealer can do is £2460 with a DVD recorder that I don't want! I'd like to support him but not to the extent of £400...

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
    I would recommend RGB, the bracket makes it easier for mounting as it allows you to hook the plasma on the top bar so you can tilt it out and get your cables connected, something to consider..

5. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Sundip,

I tried to source a wall bracket version - by all accounts panasonic are having problems with stock it could be a while.. He wouldn't sell a universal bracket because of the shape of the tv.

6. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
    The one from RGB is universal, you just use 45mm spacers on the back of the panel to give it the depth to accomodate the bulge at the bottom.

7. Sundip

Sundip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well RGB just told me they were out of stock of all versions. Who else is good? I could use it by the middle of next week to get the fitting sorted out without any hold-ups. Good thought about the tilt feature though - thanks.

8. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
    I was going to order from Totaldigital at first but they sounded a bit uninterested when I tried to order, and a few people have got european models from the, even though they said it was going to be a UK model.

There are plenty of other threads on here, I am not sure who has stock at the moment.

9. Sundip

Sundip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm working on it.

10. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
  11. chimpmagnet

chimpmagnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You mentioned a fireplace, but what about a radiator? Is is unsafe to mount a plasma about 3 feet above a radiator?

12. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
    I wouldn't think so, a fire will give out more heat than a radiator. Stick a thermometer over it where the plasma is going to go and check the temp.

13. Sundip

Sundip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Done it! A lot of calling round ended up with a best price of £2200 including delivery from Totally Digital. Most other people had "stock arriving next week" which I can't take a chance on since the builder is here already. I called my local store (Shop@Panasonic in Newton Abbot) who managed £2249 including a three year warranty so I thought that was a good result and they will deliver and connect for free once the mount is installed.
    On to the next issue: anyone got thoughts about bending the remote signal around corners?
    BTW I think a radiator may be more of a problem than a fire because the set will be directly above the panel and get all the convected heat which, in the case of a fire would go up the chimney. Just a thought.

14. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
    Is that price including wall mount/DMR-ES10?

You can always turn the radiator off?

15. Sundip

Sundip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No ES10 in that price. I already have the DMRE-85 so didn't need anything else to clutter the place up. They do have a DVD S97 which has an HDMI output and sells for £159 - I wonder if it can be any good? Anyway for now I will have to concentrat on getting the audio set up properly and acquiring a decent amp and speakers.
    Anyone know who might want a used Panasonic TX-32PK20 with an SC-HT80 Home Theatre System (Panny) plus a Philips freeview box all in perfect condition or indeed how much I should ask for such a set-up? The picture is unbeatable except perhaps for HDTV....

16. Sundip

Sundip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, it does include the Panasonic wall mount though. BTW can you explain how you gain access to the inputs once the unit is hung on the wall?

17. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
    There is a 32F-PF10 over in the classifieds, I think he wants £299 for it.

Put an ad up, you will probably get a few offers.