Panasonic TH42PV500 - Despite everything, is Currys worth considering?

goon525

Standard Member
Reaction score
Like many others in this forum (and despite some criticism), I've settled on the TH42PV500 and I want the CAB version. But where to buy? As I'm only 150 yards from a Panny shop, that would seem an obvious choice. But they want £3000 including the DVD recorder I don't particularly want. They'll knock off £150 for the DVD, but that still leaves me at £2850 - way too much.

I trust John Lewis and would buy from them, especially with the 5 year guarantee. But they want £2500 without the cabinet, pushing three grand with. Still too much (and they don't actually have any). I don't really want to buy a product that has a fair chance of going wrong from a no-name internet-only supplier, and I've seen the comments on Gultronics.

I'm no big fan of DRG but Currys on-line only offer of the set with CAB at £2375 inc delivery looks pretty good. I may not like DRG but at least they will -eventually - deal with any service issues. Would I be mad to go for this? Comments, please, but be gentle - I'm a newbie on this forum!

Goon525

I suppose if your strong enough to cope with poor customer care then carry on. I know i would pay a little extra knowing that if i get a problem, i wont be having arguments and threats of court action to get things done.

But where can I get decent service without paying pushing £500 more than the Currys price? At least they WILL be around to give service eventually.

I am geting mine from comet on line i found an error and got them to agree to sell it to me for that price. I think they now want £2600 delivered with cabinet. You also get a 14 day price match and a 5 day no quibble return. Currys on line is cheaper then their own shop shops as well

Comet are currently offering online the deal with cabinet and DVD recorder for £2549 inc delivery. This deal is £175 more than Currys, but includes a DVD recorder I don't particularly want. But do we actually think Comet are significantly better than DRG?

I got my 42pv500 from Currys online for £2220 inc cabinet, delivery and 9 months interest free. I can't fauly them it only took around 12 days from placing the order,processing the credit forms and taking delivery of the plasma.

I had originally placed my order with Empiredirect but when I found the cheaper Currys price they wouldn't pricematch because I was applying for credit so they got blown out.

I've dealt with Currys/PC Worlds several times, I've had to use their mastercare warranty service once and it was an excellent service.After sales service is also easy to use,they may not be as knowledgable as places like AV-Sales but I've got a plasma sitting in my living room for a very good price.

id go for currys
thell fix it if it breaks down my old tv i gave away broke down
the other day within a day they were out 2 fix it
ok the guy coudnt fix it getting took away monday
but plasmas are never fixedin the house anyway

Thanks for the link to AV Sales. But they don't seem all that competitive - £2726 for the CAB version which I want.
Korum - how did you get Currys down to £2220 - can't see that anywhere inc stand and delivery?
Thanks everyone for the helpful ansewers so far!

£2375 for p500/cab in currys with free delivery and no dvd.(not a bad deal) Got mine from them in 11 working days (everybody was waiting for a delivery) so i cant complain, just make sure they are in stock, because paying with your credit card its on your bill straight away! We dont want you waiting four weeks till next delivery !! :thumbsup:

I ordered mine from Currys for about £2,300.

They delivered about three weeks after ordering and although when they delivered the TV they gave me a pedestal stand instead of the cabinet I ordered, they returned with the cabinet 4 days later and I am chuffed to bits with my PV500.

An absolutely brilliant TV and it can only get better! Quite happy with Currys but as Willard said, they do take the money out your account immediately.

my local panny shop (lincoln) were great and were willing to price match any old website i printed out - try pushing them a bit harder.

Well I went ahead and ordered it. (Actually using the Dixons website 'cos I got a further £50 off using a pricerunner code.)

Interesting to hear that you got a Panny shop to price match - mine don't seem interested, and actually have signs up saying that they are NOT an Internet showroom. They would have had to come down from an effective £2850 to £2325 - over five hundred quid, and I don't think there was any way that was going to happen.

Goon525

goon525 said:
Well I went ahead and ordered it. (Actually using the Dixons website 'cos I got a further £50 off using a pricerunner code.)

Interesting to hear that you got a Panny shop to price match - mine don't seem interested, and actually have signs up saying that they are NOT an Internet showroom. They would have had to come down from an effective £2850 to £2325 - over five hundred quid, and I don't think there was any way that was going to happen.

Goon525

lol - thats funny - talk about crap customer service - they dont deserve your money - they are all franchised so i guess they are only as good as the manager - i went in on the saturday with my internet print outs - the 1st guy i spoke to gave me a cost of 2600 (inc wall bracket, dvd-r, ex delivery) - i explained that on monday i would be ordering from RGB direct at 1162 unless they could offer me a better deal - they were not keen to talk unless i was going to hand over cash but again i said i would be placing an order on monday and nto talking to anyone - he said he would go to 2200 and that was good enough for me - my house sale slipped to tuesday so i placed the oder tuesday afternoon and it was with me the following wed - great service - no hassel and highly recomneded (a little plug for the lincoln pany shop :smashin: )

If anyone is buying on-line from Curry's it is worth taking out an Egg credit card to do it.

Egg will give you 5% cash back so you are talking about £125 in your pocket.

You might even get an interest free period on the card to pay for your telly as well if you are a new Egg customer.

Dave

Do it! I'm buying from Currys (I know their CS is crap as I worked for them!) but have been offered a 42PV500CAB at £2138.32 + free delivery + 9month interest free. At that price they can be crap. I don't even want the Cab that much so may just sell that on for a few hundred :D

- Dop in Sweden

carlton said:
£2138 :eek: Pity u dont get that price in the uk from Currys.

I did get it in the UK (Currys on-line) and getting it delivered to a UK address - Currys in Sweden (called Elkjøp here) would have cost me close to £2,840 (34,000 N Krona), all I have to is change the mains plug and vola. Leaves me lots of money left over to buy a bottle (or 10) of vodka on the way home :clap:

Goon525, When i ordered mine the Currys website were selling at £2335 inc delivery, I used a code I got off these forums something like 'youatwork' and that took 7% off the total which took it down to £2220. I think that code's expired now.

You will not be disappointed with the PV500, I had a top of the range 32'' Tosh CRT and IMO the PV500 looks superior.I'd read a lot of complaints about the auto-contrast, invisible lines, plasmas not looking very good with SKY but I haven't noticed any of these problems.SKY looks incredible.

I know this is mentioned bfore but if you use Currys Online here's some discounts you can employ: Purchase with Egg Card = 5%, discount code YAWCRY5PCT or NHS5PCT = 5% and JUNE_AFF = Free Delivery (extended till the end of July). So potentially you can get 10% plus free delivery off their current price.

You can't really because you can only use one discount code per purchase on currys site.

goon525 said:

Goon525

I bought my 37PV500 from Dixons online using the £50 from PriceRunner. The price online was over £500 less then Dixon's instore!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom