1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic th42pv500 connect to dmreh50?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by philcart, Jul 14, 2005.

1. philcart

philcart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all - this is my first attempt at this so let me know if you can help. The other threads have been very helpful.

Just bought a Panasonic TH42pv500 with Cabinet and DMREH50 Recorder(multi-region). After reading the pdf manuals on both it seems that I need to connect the dvd recorder to the plasma using a scart on AV2 or AV4 to make use of the Q-Link functionality?

I was assuming I should use component connection instead to make use of progressive scan etc. Can I use both types of connection or am I being stupid?

Just for info the rest of the setup will be

Grundig Sky STB to AV1 (RGB) and to HD/DVD Recorder using second scart
    Sony VCR to AV3 (for the Kids teletubbies videos!)
    All Audio to Sony AV Receiver (DD5.1)

This is not arriving till day after tomorrow - but I'm just a sad geek that likes to plan ahead ... :lease:

2. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can use both connections.

Basically Switch to component when you are watching a DVD movie - this will give you the best Picture Quality.

When using the recording functions of the DVD recorder it will use the Scart to pass the audio/video signals from whatever source you choose (Digital TV/Sky box, Video Recorder, etc)

eg:

Qlink switched to AV4 -
    AV4 Out = AV1 - record from AV1 (sky in RGB quality) to DVD
    AV4 Out = AV2 - record from VHS to DVD
    AV4 Out = DVB - record Freeview to DVD

or
    Qlink switched to AV2 -
    AV2 Out = AV1 - record from sky to VHS
    AV2 Out = AV4 - record from DVD to VHS
    AV2 Out = DVB - record from Freeview to VHS

3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    If your setup is anything like mine then don't be surprised if you actually prefer component interlaced as opposed to component progressive. Try them both out and let your eyes decide. In a lot of cases the TV is better at handling an interlaced video input than the DVD recorder is at outputting a progressive video signal.

S.

4. philcart

philcart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys you've been a big help. I'm looking forward to setting it up on saturday.

Cheers!