1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PHD7UY plasma - help to connect freeview/sky

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by stiff, Jul 12, 2005.

1. stiff

stiff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just moved from the US and brought my Panasonic TH42PHD7UY over with me. The plasma display has component Pr/Pb/Y(currently connected to my Sony DVD home theatre system) and s-video. I bought a Matsui set-top box with 2 scart connections (tv/vcr) and I bought a scart (in/out) to 3 RCA & s-video adapter piece.

After connecting the adapter to the scart tv input on the set top box, I connected the s-video from the set-top box to the plasma (which is the set-up I used in the US). However the picture is black and white! I tried changing the the input/output switch on the adapter piece as well as trying the vcr scart connection. I also tried connecting the video RCA cable - to see if that worked...- but that gave me no picture!

I'm OK on the sound front. I thought about getting sky to (hopefully) fix the problem...but worried will run into same prob. I've tried changing the settings on the set-top box and on the plasma but to no avail....any help appreciated!!!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    take the MAtsui box back and get a better STB with S-video (Y/C) output Humax PVR8000T is ideal and use that £130 ish

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    You would be better to buy a set top box that has component outputs, I don't know which do as I use satellite, but other will be able to help you there.

The Matsui probably doesn't have S-Video output, not many boxes do over here as we use RGBs scart which is better. So you probably have just the luminance coming through the s lead at the moment only as I think it uses' the same pin a composite out of a scart.

What are you using as an amp? has it got component switching? If it has then I would take the matsui back and swap for a set top box with component outs on it.

Other option is to get a scart input board for the HD7 or get a JS RGB SCART->Component transcoderor a JS RGB SCART->VGA transcoder and go in on the vga input, but they are £150.

And welcome to the forum! :)

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    The early Pace boxes had S-Video out too, and a few places have been cleaing them out for next to nothing, no 7 day tv guide on them though.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    for component its the Topfeild PVR or Netgem Iplayer, for S-video there are more choices PAce TWIN PVR in fact all the PVRs do S-video i know of and some standalone boxes too

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    It is likely the Sony HT system will not switch component video. If this is the case your best bet is to buy a JS Technology RGB to VGA converter and connect to the VGA input already on the plasma screen. This way you do not need any more boards and the picture from this route is the best.

You could opt for a cheaper RGB to VGA system (e.g. Keene Syncblaster). As always you get what you pay for, the JS box giving a cleaner stronger signal than the Keene setup.