1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PE55 v TH42PE50 ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rpb, Sep 7, 2005.

1. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about getting a PV500 but I am having second thoughts, as I doubt that I will be using HD for a number of years. (It would be nice to be future proof but an extra £800 is a lot to pay for something I might be using in 2008!)

I was therefore looking at the TH42PE50 when I noticed a thread here a few days ago pointing out the TH42PE55, which is currently available in Germany only but comes with an HDMI socket.

I presume that when using the HDMI socket the tv would scale down the image.

Would this still give a better picture than an SD input?

If I stuck with the TH42PE50, could I ude the component input with Sky HD ?

Finally, what are the odds against HD being broadcast over DVB ?

Thanks.

2. hinesle

hinesle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there currently any freeview boxes that will be able to recieve HD?

If HD will be available over DVB freeview I might think again about the PV500

4. Moe

Moe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Errrrr...where exactly does that article,which is,by the way, hopelessly full of errors,say anything about HDTV being launched on DVB this year?

...and on which Multiplex would it be appearing?

5. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I say DVB I was meaning via terrestrial transmission rather than Satelite. Is terrestrial transmission of HD being planned ?

6. Moe

Moe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course,I understood that you meant terrestrial..hence my question of which Multiplex it would use..especially as all Mux's are currently fully utilised,and HDTV uses much more bandwidth than SD.This would leave a black hole of lost existing services.

Terrestrial HDTV cannot start until after Switchover,unless someone decided to download HD programmes to a PVR overnight, whilst nothing else was being transmitted on that Mux.

7. hinesle

hinesle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I misunderstood your question and was referring to DVB-S. As for the odds I would still say it is certain that HDTV will be transmitted over DVB but probably not over DVB-T (although it is technically possible but four channels are required for each HD transmission) and as Moe has said they are all full.

8. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - if DVB terrestrial is some way off that gets me back to my original question - is it worth waiting for the TH42PE55 just to get an HDMI input?

If I was to get Blu Ray in a years time and plug it into the HDMI socket would it be significantly better than the component socket in the PE50?

9. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    If I was buying a HD panel, I would make HDMI a requirement. On a SD panel, I don't see that it will make a huge difference.

Its not hard to find threads on the forum where people have the choice of HDMI or component from their DVD players, and report the component is giving a better picture.

The other point, is if the PE55 takes 2-3 months to arrive, by then there will be something else just another 2-3 months away, and so on. :)

10. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Which raises another question:
    Will a Blu Ray player transmit HD content over component connections?

My guess would have to be no, mainly due to the copy protection - HDCP.

11. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    From what I read, the main question is whether Blu-Ray uses DRM and a telephone connection like its being suggested. In which case they can get stuffed anyway :)

12. hinesle

hinesle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I think it is worth the wait. People will argue about picture quality over component VS HDMI until the cows come home. Exclude this out of the equation then you are really considering the question of future proofing the plasma for its foreseeable life for say 10 years (even if it is relegated to the bedroom). Everything will be digitally transmitted within the lifetime of the TV and even more so at the cutting edge with blueray /HD DVD so the choice is yours.

13. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Hinesle, IMO you have missed the point.

If you want to future proof, you buy a HD screen with HDMI. On average, people probably keep their TV's for 4-6 years, but even within 10 years, I don't see HDMI taking over the home.

You have to remember that manufacturers of current technology always have to keep the lowest common denominator in mind, otherwise their product will be difficult to shift, or prohibitively expensive. We are only just seeing plasma's coming into the main stream price stream, yet how long have they been available?

In fact, even being an enthusiast, I have still never seen a plasma in the house of anyone I know.

Theres always something better around the corner :)

14. hinesle

hinesle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The question asked is whether its worth while waiting for the SD model with HDMI to become available so I answered the question on that premise. Rpb has already dismissed the HD version on price so I don’t believe I have missed the point.

15. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    The reason you recommended waiting, is future proofing your TV. I was then trying to say that if the justification is future proofing for the next 10 years, perhaps you should be looking at a HD TV, and not an SD one :)

16. hinesle

hinesle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see what you mean about my first reply. I knew what i was on about even if nobody else did :thumbsup:

17. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - thanks guys!

I would aim to keep my next TV for perhaps 10 years and so I guess I should go HD. Hopefully the current Blu-ray / HD DVD fiasco will settle down in a year or two and that would provide an HD source.

Time to start a PV500 -v- 436XDE thread!

18. hinesle

hinesle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve been waiting for what seems like an eternity for a plasma that suites all my requirements and I am prepared to wait a bit longer (I have a 32” sammy LCD sat on the wall as a place holder)

• £2000k budget which I have waiting (I believe this is justifiable anything else is day light robbery IMO)
    • HDMI with 50/60htz support
    • Integrated DVB-T tuner (to limit the number of remotes and boxes)
    • Digital out for audio

The 436xde is the first plasma that satisfies all these requirements (apart from price) but hopefully that will not take all that long to fall (after all its only £500)

19. Mac07

Mac07
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "In response, I would explain that there are no plans at present to release
    a PE55 model in the UK."

This is a quote from panasonic uk.

yet again we get stuffed over here, is it not time some1 done something about this :mad:

20. Moe

Moe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why are we "stuffed over here"?

I suspect that if this "PE55" is marketed in Germany (?),it will not have a DTT tuner.It therefore seems that it is probably not suitable for the UK market now that the Government has confirmed that digital switchover will start to happen in 3 years time,thereby leaving this TV naturally unable to receive any TV signals after analogue is switched off.

...and just what do you propose should be done when you say .. "is it not time some1 done something about this"?

21. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Also, HDMi is 'High Definition Multimedia Interface'. Although its nice to have as many connection options as possible, its slightly wasted on a TV that is Standard Definition, and aimed at a slightly different market.

22. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Supposedly the reason the PE55 is not coming to England is because the '500' model is selling so well.

23. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Which would explain the ungodly shortage!

24. bobboulby

bobboulby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just gone through the same decision process myself and ended up with a TH37PE50. My reasoning was as follows:

1. I have no intention of getting Sky.
    2. High Definition DVD will be expensive for early adopters and I'm unlikely to buy enough HD content to justify the cost.
    3. I see myself going HD in say 5 years time. By then there will be a whole new generation of screens available so buying one now to future proof doesn't make sense.
    4. I saved £500.

Bob

25. nokiauk

nokiauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Well said.

Same reason i went for my 42PE50, don't have loads of cash to splash out as an early adopter, surely in 2010-2012 when hi-def might be more mainstream & probably broadcast over terrestrial, LCD & Plasma hi-def tv's will probably be under £1,000 (prob something new & expensive at the high end). So my current non hi-def can go to the bedroom and i'll pick up a new hi-def Plasma, hi-def DVD player (blu ray or hd-dvd) for £1,000 and then subscribe to Sky/Cable to get a free box with my subscription..

Will then truly get the benefit of a more mature technology with more choice.

26. bobboulby

bobboulby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly.

Bob