Panasonic TH42PE50 sound?

marjrie

Standard Member
Reaction score
After looking for months I think we have decided on a Panasonic TH42PE50 , so far John Lewis seems the best place to buy from.
We will be having a floor stand with it, so perhaps Comet as they include a floor stand? But then John Lewis include free 5 yr warranty?
Do we also have to get surround sound speakers? Or is the sound ok direct from the TV?
Just want to watch telly and DVD's, no games or anything like that?
We have an NTL box and also a very good ariel signal that I think we need for the built in freeview? Can we still use NTL with this as well.
I know I'm rambling a bit here, but really don't want to have to get surround speakers as I have just had new carpets fitted and don't want wires trailing all over the place!!

Any advice at all would be very welcome.....

I too am looking to get the same plasma... I'm thinking abt whether or not to get it from Comet..

The 42PE50 , with cabinet and DVD recorder package is priced at £1899 at Comet... but i notice soundandvision.co.uk have the same priced at £1550..

But i'm probably going to go for Comet, because at least if there are problems I know who to speak to.. not that Comet/Currys/Dixons are known for their customer service (Currys made a right mess of my Samsung fridge recently) but being nationwide and established retailers, I guess that means you always have someone to speak to...and while they do take the ****** at times, at the end of the day they do more often than not get the job done..

I realise that a Panasonic plasma includes 12 years warranty from the manufacturer so you deal with Panasonic UK themselves in that scenario, but my real concern is getting a faulty/dodgy plasma being delivered... and I don't want to be calling up Panasonic if there's a problem so soon, if there is I'll have no hesitation in sending it back and getting a replacement/refund..

Now with COmet, in this sort of scenario you can get them to come and re-collect your plasma... but i've looked at alot of internet based retailers and they all seem to have a clause in their terms and conditions, which says the customer has to arrange and pay for carriage at their own risk.. if they are sending back a good... that's what worries me about places like Empiredirect or soundandvision.co.uk despite their great prices... i wouldn't want to get into that kind of hassle.. (just imagine, plasma delivered on a Monday, starts buzzing on Tuesday, and then being told that you have to arrange carriage to send it back ..

Anyone know of any good online retailers which dont have such clauses and have their own delivery/collection service ?

PS - I have had a demo of the Pe50 and its audio is pretty good, especially with DVD the sound really packs a punch.

marjrie said:
Do we also have to get surround sound speakers? Or is the sound ok direct from the TV?

You don't need surround sound, but once you hear it you'd want it! It just completes the home cinema experience. Lost count of the amount of time my girlfriend has thrown a glass of wine in the air when something sudden happens on screen and the rear speakers pump out the sound. :laugh:

RHCP said:
You don't need surround sound, but once you hear it you'd want it! It just completes the home cinema experience. Lost count of the amount of time my girlfriend has thrown a glass of wine in the air when something sudden happens on screen and the rear speakers pump out the sound. :laugh:

I really don't want it now, not if there is going to be wine all over the new carpet :D

marjrie said:
I know I'm rambling a bit here, but really don't want to have to get surround speakers as I have just had new carpets fitted and don't want wires trailing all over the place!!

I think you can buy wireless speakers, or have i just made that up! :)

RHCP said:
I think you can buy wireless speakers, or have i just made that up! :)

I bet they would put me over budget :(

Not seen them anywhere either.

You can get them - don't know how good they are tho and to be honest can't imagine they would be.

If you got a small surround system you can normally squeeze the cable provided under the skirting board as it's relatively thin. It will really improve your movie experience etc and is well worth a couple of hundred quid.

Looked again today and it seems that Comet no longer do this model, the deal they had was with floor stand and DVD recorder, no I am even more confused!

I bought this model a few months ago with free DVD recorder and 5 years warrenty for £1700 ish.

I am really happy with it, the inbuilt sound is adequate without being fantastic, bepends what you are used to. I have a full high quality 5.1 setup but only tend to use it for Film with DD, for the rest we are happy enough with the inbuilt speakers.

The only crap thing with the panasonic is the crap Remote control reception which seems to affect all panasonics

I phoned up Crampton and Moore earlier this week and they are selling the PH42PE50 with the Panasonic Cabinet Stand for £1,499 - I currently have a price match request in with JLP for that amount, here's hoping they come through on it. :thumbsup:

I to got my PH42PE50 from lets go digital just over a week ago & i have to say the pictures fantastic, i went for the wall mounted version & free dvd recorder :)

The sound from the plasma is fine but i use my surround system .

Got mine from soundandvisiononline.com for £1400 with a free dvd recorder and pedestal stand.

Oh and 12 months interest free credit. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom