1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PE50 or Hitachi 42PD5200?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Scoob, May 31, 2005.

1. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Folks,
    Having to send back my 50" Samsung DLP TV as I'm getting terrible rainbow problems and I'll have to replace it with something from Comet.
    I'm looking at the Viera 42" or the Hitachi. On paper the Hitachi seems to have the better specification but I hear a lot of good reviews of the Panny. I've had a quick look at them in a shop and both look to have an excellent picture (shame they are only 42" but I can't stretch to a 50" plasma).
    Which one would you get?
    Ta :)

2. cmt

cmt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    How long have you had the set??

as you don't necessarily have to accept a credit from them.

I was in the same boat, and accepted the credit, got a Panasonic PE50, which is being returned under the distance selling regs (7 days to return the item) and i am being refunded - PV500 on the way now from buyyourAV.

See here....

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/distancesell.htm#faqs

cmt

3. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I mostly paid with vouchers so they won't give me cash back, otherwise I'd be taking the cash and getting something better for less money elsewhere.
    Did you have problems with the PE50, or just fancied getting the PV500?
    From reading some of the extensive threads, it seems that the Hitachi is actually only 512 lines, interlaced up to 1024 in which case the PE50 will probably give a better picture anyway (and it comes with a free DVD recorder).
    Anyway, for the time being I've ordered a replacement Toshiba 46" DLP so will get another 7 days to see if that's any good, but if not then I'll still be trying to decide on a plasma.

4. totalmadness

totalmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 5200 from Comet and experienced problems. So I asked for a refund. I had paid with vouchers. T

5. totalmadness

totalmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 5200 from Comet and experienced problems. So I asked for a refund. I had paid with vouchers. The refund was via a head office cheque. So got Cash back! ;-)

6. cmt

cmt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    as totalmadness said, if you have a replacement,and are 'not happy' with it then you can retrun it for a refund, which will be as a cheque from head office, then off to AVsales / BuyYourAV / John Lewis etc.

As for the PE50, this was the replacement for the LG DLP set i had for 3-4 weeks that 'popped'. I got the PE50 from comet online as it seemed like a good idea, but after seeing the PV500 in action, i decided that the PV was the one for me and no the PE50, so as i had only had the set for 5 days i decided to return it under distance selling regs - they pick it up tomorrow and the PV arrives from another supplier tomorrow.

No probs with comet on the refund front.

cmt