1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PE50 - High Definition??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by billym, Sep 30, 2005.

1. billym

billym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been to Robert Whyte in Glasgow for another look at the TH42PE50 and they were demonstrating both that model and the PV500 with a high definition feed. On the TH42PE50 the high definition feed was evidently coming through the component cable which they said supports it, obviously it doesn't have an HDMI connection. The very helpful assistant advised that most retailers will either not know about or advertise this capability of the PE50 set.

I'm a novice when it comes to this technology so would appreciate some help. Is this true; does this mean that the TH42PE50 could display HD signal from Sky in the future and that you could connect up a HD DVD player and new generation consoles (XBOX360/PS3) and get the benefit of HD picture?

Incidentally, I could hardly notice any difference in the picture between the two sets - looked fantastic on both.

2. the highlander

the highlander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i did know the pe50 would do HD on component , but its good to know somebody has actually seen it working :thumbsup: as for sky/HD and BLUEYONDER/HD the early models will bot do HD from component :thumbsup:
    as for the DVD players i don't know .

3. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It will receive HD but will scale it down to fit its screen resolution, it will still be a damn good picture but will lack the finer detail of true HD.

4. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i have the 37 inch version will hi def be the same on this panel too, cheers.

5. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This set is HD compatable. i.e. it can receive all proposed formats of HD through component leads and display them in glorious (840*480) SD.

It is not fully HD Ready though as it has no HDMI input and is not HD resolution.

However as you have seen it will still look fantastic in HD mode taking advantage of the higher bitrate, better colour depth etc

6. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you ask me, i'd say no set is proper high def today as they only show 720p - JVC have recently annouced an 40inch LCD which will show 1080i - imagine call of duty on the 360 going through that :)

7. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The 45inch sharp LCD is 1920x1080 and has been out for a fair while now?

8. billym

billym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses; think I''ll go with this one if I can get JLP to pricematch.