1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PE30B vs LG RZ42PX11 vs Samsung PS42D4SXX

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tutu, Mar 30, 2005.

1. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It's been one of those days. Stuck with the parents trying to tell them which Plasma to buy but it was impossible - in the end we got none!

They have looked at the LG RZ42PX11 and the Samsung PS42D4SXX in the local curries.

I have also seen a good deal on the Panasonic TH42PE50B.

I am really stuck on which one they should buy? I am leaning to the Panny as it has freeview, but it does not have a HD input (apart from component - but can it do HD through that?).

The LG and Samsung both have DVI but does it support HDTV? and compatible with Sky HD?

I am for sure that their main use would be freeview (usual british soaps etc and DVD playback). I am not sure why I am even bothered about HD - but I don't wan't theirs to be obselete so soon.

My dad really wants one now - please can anyone offer some recommendation.

Also my dad thought the Samsung had better PQ (setup in comet tho) over the LG. My mom likes the panny.. difficult situation ;)

Why doesn't Panny high end model come with HDMI :( The newer HD ready one I think is too much money really.

I liked the Panny PQ the most.

2. David Waltham

David Waltham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't offer any solution but have similar challenge. Have been a voyeur of these forums for a week, looking for a solution to 42" Panasonic vs LG for a budget of around 1.5k. Finally thought I had it sussed and went to John Lewis this evening. Then got really confused as an extremely helpful salesman advised that as both screens are non HDMI compatible, I should wait until May/June when the new screens come out. Oh dear. Is it that vital to have HDMI in-waiting? No way can I afford a 42 HDMI. Why is everyone throwing caution to the wind and buying non-HDMI screens when HDMI is supposed to be the next big thing?

3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
  4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
  5. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,573

They won't bet se up properly in Currys, Comet etc. so you can't really compare pic quality.
    Chances are, there will lots of advice tomorrow so hang on until some of the retailers come back on...there might be one near you that can show you a proper set up.

It's a big purchase so don't rush in and don't buy from Currys, Comet etc until you have had lots of feedback.

6. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    tutu

I wouldn't get to hung up on HDMI and HDTV............................not been on here in a while but talk of HDTV through component has been rumoured and HDMI on the SD panny is not supposed to be as good as component.

Will your parents pay more in a few years time for a few HD channels?

Go with PQ.

Chheers,Tam

7. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    My dad was really anxious to buy right now or he would not leave the store, I managed to get him to order off the net thankfully.

I think i've been a little pre-occupied with what I wan't to be honest. HDMI would be nice, but to be honest they wouldn't use it. My dad does not pay for Sky any more, and the only hi-def capable device (xbox) is used in another room.

The would not put up the extra cash for something that is pointless at the moment (not my words! I would love a HDTV).

He ordered the Panasonic TH42PE50B off av-sales. In the end my mom won the fight, which is typical lol

http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pe50b.html

I hope I did not make a mistake, but I did try to make them wait.. but.. u know these old folk.. impatient :D

This deal has a DVD recorder and is £280 cheaper than Currys (which they have the older PE30 model and a DVD player..)

8. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    Let us know how good it is...

9. bert2

bert2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    you bought right and from a good conpany, by all opinions on other threads. I'm in the market for this model so please do make sure you let us know what you think of it.

10. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to own that Samsung TV. If thr LG was worse quality then you definitely made the right choice on the Viera. The TV I own now is based on the same technology as the older Viera that you mentioned in your original post (it's a Panasonic PWD6). The difference in PQ is substantial, the Samsung looking much much worse! Specifically with motion and dark scenes, the Samsung didn't really handle either of these well at all. You could also tell that it couldn't display anywhere near the same amount of colours.

You've made a great choice, don't worry!

11. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I would just like to update everyone on the situation. My dad already placed the order 3 weeks ago, but however while av-sales have got the tv in stock, they still have no cabinet stands!

It is very disapointing - either av-sales or Panasonic need to get their act together.

12. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The latest take on this is that they now no longer have any TVs in stock, and they won't till Friday.

So far their service has been a complete joke. My parents are not happy. They will have waited 1 month now :(

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    tutu, Panasonic screw up the stands situation every time, look at PE30 launch, nightmare....give AV-sales a call, they are very reasonable and i know that they do everything they can to supply you with what you need when you need it. Panny UK really do need to get there act together, every year we have the issues at product launch time....but be patient, you have made the right decision....

14. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Horny is spot on

Panasonic did delivered a number of screens to retailers at the end of last month without cabinets, desk stands or wall mounts. The pedestal stands have been delivered and the cabinets are now being sent out by Panasonic this week. Just as well as I am sure, like us, there are resellers with plenty of screens but limited accessories.

Regards to all

Alastair :hiya:

15. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for the reply but they have now cancelled and one with the stand has been shipped already from 123electrical.

16. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    They have now received the unit and they like it so much they ordered another one ;)

It's amazing the footprint of the unit is less than their 28" widescreen TV they were using in the dining room before it! Now they are getting one for the living room (which it was originally going in there).

The package on the whole is beautiful. So far they are very pleased apart from the fact that the TV has no front/side input which is annoying - however the DVD recorder does (camcorder etc).