1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PE30

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stephen.Liu, May 24, 2004.

1. Stephen.Liu

Stephen.Liu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking about buying the Panasonic TH42PE30 [Viera]. Any comments / reviews on its performance ? Also, how does it compare with the TH42PW6 ? :thumbsup:

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If you do a search on this forum i'm sure you will find plenty of material to read. Essentially the PE30 is a PW6 with a full complement of sockets, speakers and an internal tuner. The picture is still very good, but the PW6 setup well will always produce a distinctly better picture. However for many people the increase in quality is easily counteracted by the ease of use and added functionality the PE30 offers.

HTH

3. Ancillotti

Ancillotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i spent a long time debating between the pw6 or the pe30

The best deal I found for the PW6 was nexnix 2250 inc stand and 6Y board. Realistically you with this you will need a decent reciever and speaker system. You may also need to buy JS Converter(s). This comes with a standard 1 year warantee.

PE30 is more of a direct replacement for a CRT it has standard inputs 3 scart (2 RGB one S-Video) component in, svh in, vga in. The integrated tuner and speakers obviously have other benefits.

However, the reason I went for the PE30 was that I got JL to price match Richer at £2649 with a 5 year warantee.

I think the PE30 looks a hell of a lot nicer too

5. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As are others, I'm also tempted by the simple swap of CRT to Plasma without complicated cables and boards.
    Can I ask you how you have your system hooked up to the PE30 inputs?
    Thanks

6. Stephen.Liu

Stephen.Liu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam

From your message, I gather that the picture quality of the PE30 is not as good as the PW6. Is it due mainly to the lack of adjustable features in PE30 compared with the PW6, or is there something more fundamental? Thanks. Also, how would rate the PE30 against the 42PA20 - apart from the fact that it's cheaper and I prefer the silver finish to the Viera black. Thanks SL

7. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to be careful about this picture quality issue.

Ive had on my pe30 a component DVD player -Cambridge Azur(250£) & matching seperate Amp(250£), with expensive cables(£200), component out, progressive scan, etc.

And Ive had my crappy 4yr old Sony DVD player with a freebie scart cable

and Ive now got a panasonic all in one home cinema £300 the lot thing in via svhs into a svhs-scart converter in the back.

I can say I can see a difference between the new DVD' players and my old sony. No Brainer.

And between Progressive Scan VS Interlaced vs Component vs RGB Scart not a lot.... in fact it was impossible to discern. Eg... "Flicker Free" is what u are supposed to benefit from with Progressive Scan... I must be blind but of the 10 DVD's I tried I couldnt get one of hte buggers to flicker...

So as a 'normal user' I bought my PE30 for my family to use and to look cool on the wall (as all plasma's are inherently bought for) - I think the layman would struggle, really struggle, to see the differnece between any of these things.

The Pe30 picture from Sky+ is great.
    PE30 from a dVD Player - is even better cos dvd's are better quality out than sky.
    If you bought A PE30 and plugged in your Sky box you'd be joyous, if you then plugged in a DVD player your mates will go "wow" look at that. If you plug in a bunch of 100£ cables, the Wow might be 1.5% better than the £30 cables but only if you look real close and they see the receipt on the floor.

So be wary of responses on Picture Quality - its all relative, the PE30 out of hte box is great. So are many other plasma's so try to get to John Lewis or somewhere where lots are on display and take a look at them. thePe30 is a great pice of kit, my kids can watch Cbeebies on Sky without waking me up i nmornign to turn on the amplifier, select source, etc... thats' why its worth getting... If its just you and you want pure hi-fidelity then PW6 probably is as good and will save you £500 to spend on hi-fidelity in puts

Apparently the PW6 and PE30 are both same screen beneath all the gubbins so same should hold true. I am sure that JS RGB converter would give a noticeable difference on Sky output / quality because many many on this forum swear by it, but on its own Sky is good. Freeview on the PE30 also looks great - again get a demo in a shop.

One warning - live sky football looks a bit rubbish apparently because of the broadcast quality of live football not because of your plasma... so get ready for that one.

< just my humble opinion having bought, returned, etc more than a fair share of kit since I got my PE30 up on the wall. Of course I could be tone deaf and color blind ( or pixellation blind) >.

8. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup:
    Brilliant reply!!! Especially for those of us with kids!

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The PE30 and PA20 get a very similar picture from external sources, the main difference being PA20 has an analogue tuner built in and the PE30 a freeview one.

There is a difference between the TV versions and the monitor version, but it is not a very large one and both are hugely better than other plasmas available. Panasonic plasma tuners seem to always one way or another very slightly soften the picture, somehow this "feature" has also carried on to the scart terminal board for the monitors too! As you can see from the replies it is very much down to what requirement this plasma is going to fulfill - easily used plasma television with text, speakers etc or display-only for dedicated home cinema system.

10. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Excellent reply Ian. For Kids also read girlfriend when it comes to selecting source on amp etc!

11. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, I have just ordered my PE30 after spending a couple of hours testing the unit in my local AV supplier (very expensive but happy to let you play),
    I tried a feed via basic scart and also the component in from a progressive DVD player/recorder (panasonic DMR-E85), I tried 3 different DVD types, Tomb Raider region 2, Finding Nemo region 2, Final Fantasy region 1, and I was totally blown away, the picture was rock solid in all forms (scart and component), no sign of flicker at all, not even with large static white areas, most impressive was the way it handled fast moving objects on screen, there was very little blurring and no sign of pixellation or break up of the image (unlike the Hitachi screen next to it which was awfull!),
    even the freeview channels were quite stunning and thats with the signal split probably 15 ways in the typical shop scenario, the built in analogue tuner (yes it did have one!) is also excellent and equally comparable to the Freeview channels, the on board sound sytem was also quite impressive, although not comparable to a full AV setup, it's more than adequate for sunday morning Hollyoaks!

I decided to go for the AV-sales package with the panasonic E85 DVD-HD recorder, I figure this would work as well as it did in the shop, I'll report back when I have spent some time with the setup which should arrive in a week or so.

Spook

12. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you try normal not prog scan component, if so how did it compare to prog scan component?

I ask because my main dvd player does not have prog scan, so I am considering an upgrade

13. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bobbles, When I had a prog-scan dvd I had it in on component , and i was watching the matrix and mi-2 , flipping between interlace & progressive scan. Rewinding then watching again same chapters in both modes... I could not see one spot of difference.

Sitting 3mtrs away or Even standing 30cm from screen I couldnt see any difference. If you want to try it - go 'buy' one from richer sounds, they do one for £150 by cambridge, component out, and a handy button on remote to switch between interlace and p-scan , so you can compare... then if you dont see any difference then take it back for refund within 14days. they dont mind.

14. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks

i will see how I get on with my current one with the pe30 first

15. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

The only thing I've ever been able to see it on is during the early lesson scene in life and times david gale, he walks around the classroomm and at back of room is a big blind, on interlace you can see it shimmer, in prog its solid.
    This was a reg 1.

John

16. tfishuk

tfishuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I had my PE30 delivered yesterday and I am really delighted with it. The picture quality is excellent. I am so pleased that I decided to choose this model.

Tony

17. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pleased to hear it Tony, certainly a superd looking panel. Did you get the floor stand with it?

18. tfishuk

tfishuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gazzad

Yes I did get the floor stand as well and whilst it was quite expensive, it is very well constructed and made to last and of course looks superb.

Tony

19. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much space is between each shelf and how wide are they

sorry to be a pain to ask

I just hope everything is going to fit

20. tfishuk

tfishuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The space between shelves is 6"inches and the width of the glass shelves is 29.5 inches

Certainley enough room for a DVD Player, VCR and a Sky Box

Tony

21. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    superb

that is actually wide enough for two side by side

i have sky+ dvdr dvd xbox and amp to fit

22. Stephen.Liu

Stephen.Liu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, Thanks for all your replies. You have convinced me that the PE30 is the one.

Bobbles

My local JL refuses to price match with Ritcher. Their excuse : our local Ritcher branches do not display the PE30 "with a price-tag" !. Also, best offer from my local Ritcher is 2,800. I can get your price, but only at Gultronics at Tottenham Court Road, London but they do not offer a competitive extended warranty. Any advice ?

On this subject - is there really any need to buy EW. Has anyone ever experience a breakdown with their plasma ? SL

23. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try a different JL

Other stores are definitely matching the Richer Sounds deal

At a guess a 5 year warantee is going to cost almost £500 ?

24. Stephen.Liu

Stephen.Liu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bob

The Ritcher Sounds price you quoted in your earlier repliy [2,649], which branch did you get it from ?

Also, what evidence would JL require from Rictcher in order to agree on a price-match ?

SL

25. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stephen,

If you speak to a JL Staff guy on the floor you get differing views , they seem to make any excuse (well the crap ones do). The good ones say these magic words " No Problem, we'll refer it to the price match team and they'll ring you back".

If you want... instead of phoning up and going through to the TV/Audio floor at Jlewis ask to go to "Special Orders" and see if that works.. then give them a model number, tell them you want one , but you want price match with RS down the road give them phone number for RS and they ring them up and do the match.

This 'sticker price' thing is absolute rubbish. If you want a store that has price matched at £26xx then private message me i'll tell you where I got mine from.

The criteria for JL Price matching is
    1) It must be in stock
    2) It must be like-for-like , same product, eg.. a 'multi region DVD player(rs)' is NOT same as a 'region 2 dvd player(jlewis)'.... fair enough. But pe30b is a pe30b.
    3) It must be a store - not an internet site only. And the store must be reaonsably close.

Thats what I understood anyhoo.
    <fast becoming expert at john lewis internal practice>

26. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bullring birmingham

I just phoned up the store quoted the Richer Sounds price and they called me back a few days later saying they were prepared to match it

27. tfishuk

tfishuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would strongly advise you to take an extended warranty, whilst I am confident that Panasonic are very reliable, these plasma's are very expensive so I would not take a chance just in case.

Keep trying JL as you should be able to get them to price match, then you will have the free 5 year warranty as well.

Tony

28. Rob D

Rob D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the past few months I have been toying with the idea of a plasma then changed my mind to a PJ, however after seeing the PE30 42" and 37" on display at JL's I think my hearts now set on a plasma again.
    The picture quality blew me away especially next to the Sony 42" display, funny enough they had a Sony demo DVD playing via a component connection, the colours and picture was so vivid it was unreal!
    However I could see the flicker people have been commenting on but only if I look away from the screen which is no problem to me. However the 37" PE30 was not flickering like the 42" which I couldn't work out, any ideas?

29. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you ought to get the wife to authorise this first. You know what probs you had with the BMW!!!