1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic - TH42PE30 / TH42PE50 or TH42PV500 ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MAD ANDY, May 21, 2005.

1. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Now I realise!

I was wondering why the Viera had dropped such a huge price since I saw it several months ago, recently seeing it around the £1,995 mark with free stand and free DVD recorder from Comet! Currys also had this for £2,199 and the saleswoman there was telling me it was because a new model was due out, however I noticed at Currys they had the TH42PE30 on offer compared to Comet's TH42PE50, and as the Curry's website compared the spec of the 30 to the "new model 50" assumed this was it, however I now see the TH42PV500 is the real upgrade, mainly from 852 res to 1024 and HDMI HiDef compatible! Hence the main question is: Is the TH42PE30 or 50 a worthwhile buy with the free stand and DVD recorder? or are people being cleverly sold into spending 2k now when they will need to upgrade again in 2 years time to keep up with the Jones'?

cheers

Andy

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    Basically if you can afford it, go for the PV500, HD ready, higher res. etc. But if you want to save a few quid and are not bothered about HD then go for the PE50.

They are both the 'new model' 8th genreation panel but one os SD and one is HD

3. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Mal

I'm definitely interested in HD, but as its over a year away and its not going to be free (from Sky no doubt it will be costly I'm assuming?), I'm trying to work out if buying a non-HD plasma for a reasonable price now and enjoying it still when HD is here, is more beneficial than buying a HD plasma now but not being willing to pay extortionate HD prices when Sky start broadcasting, ie both may end up having a similar life time yet one would have cost more to start with for features that would never be used.

Unless of course the 500 has features to start with that the 50 wouldnt, for instance the extra res providing a much better PQ?

cheers

4. oh aye

oh aye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really wanted the pv500 because its future proof. Now moving home and budget restraints means the pe50 is now all i can afford, only having standard sky digital and not sky+ its going to be a long while before HD filters down to the normal channels. E.g dolby digital 5.1 has been available on sky+ now for some time not for sky. I will take a chance on the SD model because it will take about 5 years before sky HD and blueray/HD DVD becomes mainstream. :thumbsup:

5. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    The PV500 has also extra features, a VGA input for PC, better speaker system. Better Picture in picture options, SD/PC card slot to name but a few, definately worth the extra outlay, give it a few months will probably be a bit same price as PE50 is now.

I will not be getting SkyHD, but will be using the HD side for PC viewing, HD HDVD, Xbox 360 etc.

6. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    oh aye & mal600908

both good points, although mal, not too sure I would have a need for using the VGA input or picture in picture, but if the price came down its certainly worth considering :)

out of interest how do Sky+ users make use of 5.1? Wondering what connection is on the box to link this through to a 5.1 surround for instance

7. oh aye

oh aye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sky+ box has an optical output thats configured for dolby digital 5.1. My sony sky box has an optical output thats not :thumbsdow . When i looked into this i was told the box would have been capable of outputting dolby digital 5.1 through the optical output but sky demanded its removal. I imagine this is to tempt us into sky+, the optical output when i connect it to my amp it just receives a stereo source which i listen to in pro logic 2 or dts neo 6. I was told this could be upgraded by sky in the near future to output dolby digital 5.1 but that was two years ago so i wont hold my breath.
    :lease:

8. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think the best thing about being HD ready is that if you buy a DVD player which has a HDMI/DVI output, you will get absoloutely fantastic pictures. This is because component outputs (which is what you use to get the best progressive scan video, not SCART) is a signal which has been changed from Digital to Analogue and then back to digital. So you lose information. However the direct HDMI input means you'll get stunning pictures because there is no conversion, its just direct digital signal to tv. I would wait and save for the PV500 or possibly consider the older Pioneer 435XDE.

I am only just learning all the new lingo, but SKY HDTV is not the be all and end all reasons for HD ready tv, if you're a movie fan then its a hands down win win win situation, or so they say because your normal DVDs will be awesome on it, especially with Progressive scan or 1080i going directly into your tv with no conversion.

Also, as someone mentioned before the new consoles are all going to take advantage of it.

9. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You may find that some of the more respected installers disagree with you there... Just because it's 'all digital' doesn't guarantee perfection. Many people still think that component gives a better picture. (The exception is with the Pioneers, where their component connection seems to be a bit crippled, so the HDMI looks better!)

10. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK, I didn't realise. Maybe that's why a recent review made the Marantz DV6500 (with no HDMI/DVI) win a group test over Pioneer DV668 and Denon 2910, both of which have HDMI and or DVD. Can I ask you Sulis, is the Denon 2910 up to scratch? one or two reviews seem to thinks so.

I've noticed the 2 threads re: Panasonic PV500 series and the Pioneer XDE series. Both seem pretty well respected and I hope to upgrade my Marantz 4100 OSE to one of the DVD players mentioned above to match a 42 inch plasma. Can't wait....

11. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh, man - don't ask me about DVD players! I'm still using the kids' PlayStation2 ('whirrr-whirrr')... :)

Check out the DVD player forum for more qualified opinions.