1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42PE30 Red Level H E L P

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by slaterss, Jan 24, 2005.

1. slaterss

slaterss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

HELP PLEASE
    HELP PLEASE
    HELP PLEASE
    HELP PLEASE

Since buying my Panny TH42PE30, I have noticed the red level on the screen (from all sources) is very vibrant and seems too high..

q1) As anyone else experienced this problem and if so what was done to resolve it
    q2) Any help into resolving the problem, I have tried reducing the setting down to cool and also setting the colour to about 20-30% on the slide bar and it seems to help a bit but then it effects the other colours. is there anyway of reducing the red intensity on its own.
    q3) is it worth giving panasonic themselves a ring - I am based in the UK with a UK sourced Plasma, does anyone know whats the best number to call ?

I would really appreciate your help in solving this ???

Many thanks all, this site is great and has solved me many problems in the past.

if anyone has any ideas or help, it will stop me loosing my mind... and thinking it might just be me

Stu

2. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I find the red a tad too stong on my pw6 but only when using the js converter for sky. my dvd's and games look great with colour set to about -6. would be nice to lower that red for sky though, even though i'm the only one in the house that thinks its too strong. :rolleyes:

3. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have mine on Normal mode, with the colour turned down about three clicks and the contrast just over half way. This is fine with colour. However I have found on some sky channels the red is bright, but not overly so.

4. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Can't turn colour down when using that converter though.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  6. slaterss

slaterss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your replies.

I have instructions for getting into the service menu, but I don't know what all the values etc.. mean and how to make changes in the Service Menu? - if someone has guidance on what to do here it wil help greatly.

??????

sorry for been so thick

7. CaSeBaLL

CaSeBaLL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same problem... when I was using a cheapish scart.. Finding Nemo - Nemo looked red not orange.

Since using comp interconnects problem solved.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    other option is ISF calibration £250 ish but a pro comes out and does it all for you............very worth while.

9. slaterss

slaterss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I definitely seem to see the RED HIGH Levels more on SKY viewing, even when I am using SVHS out from the SKY box to my amp which then up-samples to component.

I only use component to my TV. DVD player is direct progressive component to my TV.

The cables I am using are a mixture of IXOS and profigold, so definitely no cheap cables involved through my connections to the AMP \ TV.

£250 is a bit much really for me, I don't mind spend £50 or so to get to the problem.

I will see if I can get a DVE Disk from somewhere and try and use that to calibrate my TV for DVD Viewing at least.

Still wondering if there are any settings I can manually change to get round the problem ?????

10. slaterss

slaterss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks all :clap: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:
    I did some more investigation. It is definitely SKY that produces the high intensity red. I have reduced it down by about 6 clicks from the norm and set the display to the cool option. This as helped.

Thanks all for your help. Still slightly worried that the red is too high, but will see how it goes.

If anyone has any other suggestions, that will be great. :lease: :lease:

11. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I have a PW7 and the reds were way too strong in the VGA input, I turned them down in the service menu and now it all looks good! :thumbsup:

lisa

12. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Very worth while, really? I wander how people have had that service done, for that money. I farted around with my settings a bit and i think it lOOks just fine. Mine's on dynamic, cool, i think contrast is on full whack and sorry, can't remember the other settings.

I noticed last night when i switched to analogue ( i think it retains the same settings), the people were well orange!! Like they'd been on the sunbed too much or something. :D In DVB it was fine.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    perhaps on a veirs its not worth the money....but add it to the bill for 50"+ panel with scaler etc and its less than 10% of the total bill..........

14. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had Gordon calibrate my viera 42. Cost about £250 IIRC.
    The pq went from good to (IMHO) beatifully natural.
    I can say in all honesty that I have not needed to touch the settings since, regardless of source being sky, freeview or DVD.
    I would do it again without hesitation.
    (And it was interesting to find out that some of the factory settings were waaaay off.)

15. slaterss

slaterss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your great replies :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: , it helps my undestanding immensly.

Does anyone know or can point me in the direction of some detailed instructions on how to reduce the red level down in the service menu - or is this something that a mere novice like me should not do... - i can follow instructions pretty well... but am no TV techie... - i do have a basic understanding on how plasmas work ... :)

Thanks

16. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Be very, very carefull with that service menu.

17. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Interesting to know. But for now (and probably some time to come) i'm skint, so i'll just have to sit in ignorant bliss. I'm still on scart ATM, so i know i've got better things to come from my new kit. Thanks all :smashin:

18. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    To reddy red from a Sky box could just be that the R voltage is too high coming out of the sky box. It's a mass market device so probably a fair bit of variance. The usual steps would be to reduce colour or saturation if you have really bad red push....Some TV colour decoders intentionally add to much red to compensate for the fact that the greyscale is wrong. I don;t think this model does that though.

The service menu settings for RGB gain and cut off are NOT for adjusting Red colour/saturation. While turning down the R value might mitigate the overly red issue you see it will also actually make all other colours be minus red (ie innacurate).....Those RGB adjsutments are for the greyscale not colour. Different thing altogether.

Gordon

Gordon

19. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Why's that? I've been messing around with it willy-nilly. Changed things, if didn't like it, changed it back. I think i've got it the best i can for now.