1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH42-PWD4 problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lscolman, Aug 7, 2003.

1. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I had been using a Philips Pronto Universal Remote with my Panasonic Plasma, and found that the Plasma stopped receiving remote control commands. I dug out the original remote, and this did not work either. This happened intermittently for about two weeks, and then the remote commands worked fine from then on.

On two occasions I have switched the plasma on to see a plain white screen, and have had to switch it off to get it to power up correctly.

My screen has been at Panasonic for 5 weeks, for the above two faults, and they have been unable to replicate any of these faults. It is being returned next week.

It is now 10 months old, and approaching the end of it's warranty period. With this in mind I spoke to the customer support manager and he has agreed to extend my warranty by 3 months.

I think Panasonic should be commended for this extension to the warranty, although I am now wishing I had taken an extended 5 year warranty.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experienced any of the faults I have encountered.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Iscolman

If you do a search you should find a reference to someone else with the 'white lock' problem - I've not encountered it myself and I spoke to Panasonic Service and they hadn't either at that time (about six weeks ago).

I wonder if you have another IR source in the room or possibly lots of sunlight causing the IR to get in a fix.

Best regards

Joe

3. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    The room I have my plasma in, is extremely bright, and as I remember the problem did only occur during the day. Can't think of any other source of IR, but I do have IR light switch which I never use. When I get it back it see if it occurs again, and see if it could be either of these.

I'll check out the white lock problem also.

Thanks very much Joe

4. Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The white lock has happened to me once. I turned the screen off and on again using the power button on the panel and it returned to normal.

I believe I had turned the screen off the night before by the panel power button whilst the white scroll screen saver was in operation.

5. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Never had the power savers enabled since I got the TV. Several others have mentioned this in earlier forums, and it does seem to go away after a power down. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it?!!