Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic TH42-PE30 (Advice)

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Moncs, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking to buy my first Plasma screen and have been very impressed with the look of the Panasonic TH42-PE30.

I'm not to clued up on the techie side of TV's so excuse my ignorance. It has to go in a 'smallish' space in the corner of the living room and the fact it has a small stand appealed to me.

I'm just after some sound advice on this TV, I have around £2k to spend and was after people advise, if this is a good TV to go for (for a newbie to Plasma's) or should I hold off or go for something else.

I have read a lot of favorable reviews on this TV and the only drawback I can see is that it has doe HDTV compatability, which to be honest does not bother me (should it??)

All advise is very grateful.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    HDTV (HDCP more accurately ) is the main draw back for a veira, if this doesnt bother you it is a great way to get into plasma, A PWD7 (panny commercial screen) is a more flexible and scalable op[tion but also more complex......see the plasma FAQ for another option of how to spend £2k

3. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming you want the fullblown TV option, then to be honest, there aren't as many options as you think, but that doesn't mean the decision is easy. To anyone wanting a 42" TV, and choosing models on overall price, performance, style etc I would say pick only from the following (in no particular order):

Philips 42PF9946
    Toshiba 42WP46
    Sony KE-P42M1
    Panasonic Viera
    Sony KDE-P42XS1
    Pioneer 435XDE

There is no clear winner, I could write detailed reviews of the good and bad performance aspects of each screen, but I don't think I'll bore you with it. Its swings and roundabouts though: where one may excel in one department, it is poor in another. Only you can decide what is important to you by judging for yourself.

The Panasonic you are considering is what I think of as a Jack of All Trades, just remember the postscript: master of none. If you want a crisp, pin-sharp, bright, picture with beautifully rendered colours, but at the expense of blacks and dark scene detail, then the Sony 42XS1 is the winner by far. Choosing is an exercise in the art of compromise...good luck.

PS I know you said the space if smallish, but if you decide on the Panasonic or Pioneer, the current market price points are such that the 50" versions are better value I reckon...worth splashing out for maybe

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Taking advice is also an excercise in the art of compromise. Mr Superpixel does not like Panasonic screens, he is Mr Sony around here. No such categorical comments as Sony... the winner by far can possibly be made. I do wonder if he's actually seen all these plasmas. On to the more practical problems, once you have a lovely big screen you usually end up wanting big sound to go with it. And those speakers o the side don't make the screen any smaller do they? The chosen path for many people here is to get a speaker free design, and get a surround sound system. Well within your budget with that Panasonic Horny is suggesting, nowhere near with any of the others. Another point, if I may, you are still stuck in CRT land. The corner is where you hide that massive bulge on the back of a CRT. You have a whole new concept in interior design to cope with now. Embrace the 21st century, whatever screen you buy. Have a think about your room layout. Could you use it's flat design to free up space, have you a wall it can hang on, this involves revolutionary concepts like moving the furniture around. Both surround and stereo sound would benefit from this as well, a corner is the last place you'd put your hi fi.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    As much as he hates people remembering I also have to remind people that Mr Superpixel was singing the praises of the 'tiny' screen a few weeks ago.

6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I neither have a passionate disliking for Panasonic nor a love for Sony...I just honestly rate each model as I see them. I'm not Mr. Sony at all ! Am i?

I wasn't pushing for the Sony 42XS1, and didn't mean it to come across like that. those who place high value on dark scene rendition would have taken my comments as hefty criticism of it...

And I can guarantee that I have seen ALL those TVs and tested them thoroughly, except the Toshiba which was just a brief encounter. My family (and in-laws) own amongst themselves: the Panasonic Viera, Philips 42PF9946, a Pioneer 434 and the Sony KDE-P42XS1 ! TVs are this superpixel's specialty rather than commercial panels, I know them inside out from all my personal research, and am just here to share my findings.

I think if the forum favourite was the Panasonic PHD, which I think is superb, I'd be a lot more comfortable with the enthusiasm for Panny..

7. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mep - I have no problem with you reminding me what I actually posted, but don't lie and say that I recommended people buy Tiny plasmas.

you are a liar, you don't apologise for your lies, and I wish you'd stop it now. people can search through message histories and see what I wrote for themselves.

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    superpixel I'm not a liar thank you very much and therefore have nothing to apologise for...see if you can read my post propperly......do i say that you recommened people to buy a tiny??...no.!..i said you were singing its praises which you were.......Perhaps yo may wish to apologise for calling me a liar.

Below is what I was referring to.....so pardon me if i have misinterpretted your post in some way...for example if you were perhaps being ironic.

"i assure you this is no joke! ok, even with my (maverick, some might say on here) views....id have thought i was taking the p*** - but im not

whatever Tiny it was I saw today, is SO MUCH CLEARER at rendering graphics, banners and texts that the Panasonic panel (note: this is without 2 grands worth of external scaler) doesn't even begin to compare.

That reminds me - if you think this is a joke..wait until you see what revelations i have planned on another plasma I've checked out lately!

PS I went to the optician 3 weeks ago! true."

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I'm a PHD fan, but he said £2k, so I'm recommending a £2k system. Do not get into personal abuse, you will get banned. Your input is welcome, but your posts come over a bit dogmatic, not knowledgeable.

10. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you know perfectly well which post I refer to, mep

and yes, I think a fully working Samsung-panel Tiny displays a superb DVD picture. so what? I'm not sure why you have it in for me so much...argue and persuade like a grown adult, you'll garner more respect from people looking for advice that way.

I always say to people demo the sets and decide for yourself - I include Panasonic in a very short list of sets to consider. funny how quite a few Panasonic owners still get all flustered at this idea.

i'm not going to dignify you with any more responses.

11. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SuperPixel, what Samsung panel does a Tiny have ? It's not the Samsung PS-42D4S4, is it ? How good is it if it is ?

Hmm that's a funny structure "is it if it is" ;)

12. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    superpixel, glad we have sorted things (via pm) :smashin:

13. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW, what's the cheapest moncs could get a PHD setup for? In my opinion, the picture would be so dramatically better than say the Viera that an extra few hundred pounds would be money well spent. And don't worry about the 'abuse' between me and mep, its just friendly banter really!

Tutin - what are you looking for? A plasma TV around the £1500 mark? There's more to the end result than just the panel, and the Samsung is dreadful - it bears no resemblance to better incarnations of its own panel. Personally, I'd only recommend two TVs: Philips 42PF9946 & Toshiba 42WP46. They both are good, and excellent value.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Isnt that Tosh a sumsung???

15. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no problems, mep

so i'll be around on saturday to take that Tiny off your hands then? :D

16. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    sure, how much do you want to remove it?? :)

17. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, after various changes on my budget to spare I decided to go with a cheaper model but from a good brand, not stuff like Techwood, Tiny, MechTech or whatever.

Philips 9946 is in my budget alright, but what's the advantage of it over a Samsung P4D4S ? I really like the design of the Samsung and saw it in a store the other day - quality look quite alright, though i'm no plasma expert and I suppose my expectations aren't very high nor do I see big differences.

Why do the sammys get so much negative feedback here ?

18. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone please tell me more in detail why the Samsung P4D4S is not a good choice.

19. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure which model you are referring to - if its the PS42D4SXX as sold by Dixons PLC, then I find it poor because of: terrible pixellation, oversaturated and overgreen colours, and dark greys instead of pure blacks.

20. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that's the model I was refering to.
    So it's that bad ? Then I'll drop the idea of buying it.

What are the goods for the Philips 9946 ?

21. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    sounds like that may be the one that tiny is based upon as my pq is just like that!

22. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tutin, you really shouldn't rest your decision on my or anyone else's opinion: trust your own eyes only.

having said that, I now have a Philips 42PF9946 running right infront of me. Its a good all-round picture with no nasties: colours are pretty accurate, motion is rock solid with minimal pixellation, and blacks are deep.

why not go to Currys and check it out thoroughly. take your time and test DVD/TV, anything you can.

23. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all your replies guys.

As I say I REALLY like the TH42-PE30, but the only thing that puts me off is the lack off HD support. I notice on the panasonic website they do a TH50PV30CD which has HD.

Does anyone know if they plan to do a 42" version of this? if so anyone any idea of when and how much?

24. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WHY OH WHY !

I HATE IT WHEN I BECOME LIKE THAT ! I feel like I NEED to buy a plasma now or i'll pass away or something ;) I should have never come to that forum in the first place, now all my options are pretty much closed ;)

This is what I gathered on the models I considered :

Panasonic PWD7 - no inputs at all, no tuner (need external boxes)
    Philips 9946 - no component input !
    Samsung 42P4D4S - bad picture quality, pixellation
    LG RZ-42PX11 - lip sync issues

Would love to go at Curry's but I'm in Belgium and those friggin' shops here are complete morons, they know 0 of plasmas. I went into a shop to test a bit the Samsung, but it was connected, now check this out - s-video via wireless connection ! The quality was sooo poor, it was unbelievable, interference all the way, skin color on the screen was like red tomato, in one word worse than a VHS 20 year old tape. ALL THEIR PLASMAS WERE CONNECTED LIKE THAT !

When I asked politely if it's possible to connect it via component etc, they said they can't and claimed the quality is the same. :confused: Morons.

The guy didn't even know what component input was so I decided it makes no sense to ask him to demo Faroudja, DNIe, progressive scan etc.

25. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    PWD7 doesn't 'need' external boxes, you just buy the input boards that you need on the screen. It comes with VGA as standard, but you can also buy a range of boards including scart, component, hdmi

26. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tutin, i think you are limiting your choices unnecessarily:

the PW7 doesn't need external boxes - the input boards slot into the back

the 9946 displays an excellent picture through SCART - lack of component is no reason not to buy it

the LG and lipsync, I don't know, but its quite possible that its no worse than any other set - lipsync you either are sensitive to or not. I don't rate the LG at all anyway though: I would personally get either of the above two.

27. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you're saying I should definetely not get the LG ? ;) It's the least expensive of those 3.

If the sammy is out, I like best the PWD7. The slim design of the panny I love, though I fear those 'input boxes'. Perhaps I fear it a bit too much. I will basically need to watch standard analog signal (from coaxial cable) and DVD which can output SCART or Component. How many boxes do I need for the PWD7 for this to work ? How much cash does that add on top of the screen price itself ?

28. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
  29. tutin

tutin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, so i'll need a 100 pound input terminal for Composite.

But I see nothing mentioned about tuner / coaxial for standard old-style television

30. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    a dvd recorder with tuner is an option