Panasonic TH37PX80 power supply 'fizzing' and TV switching off

Dom Robinson

My TV's power supply is making a 'fizzing' sound now and again to the point where I went to switch it on today (from standby) and it made the fizzing sound and went off. I put it back on, it lasted a few mins and fizzed and went off/on, taking a few seconds in the process.

I switched it off properly and removed the power lead, waited a few seconds and plugged it back in. It made a bit of a fizzing sound again as it went in. Unplugged and reseated it a couple of times more and it made a bit of sound then, too.

This has happened a couple of times before, but I didn't realise what was causing it as it happened when I was plugging in a nearby SCART lead, for example.

Now, I've no idea whether this is sounding the death knell for the TV but it doesn't sound good. The TV is 3 years and 1 month old, and I have a 5-year warranty from John Lewis, so if it goes then I'm covered, but can anyone please let me know if they've come across this before and whether I'll be looking to get a replacement from John Lewis? (ooh, 3D LED telly? Hmm... possibly not in the same price range ;) )

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
My TV's power supply is making a 'fizzing' sound now and again to the point where I went to switch it on today (from standby) and it made the fizzing sound and went off. I put it back on, it lasted a few mins and fizzed and went off/on, taking a few seconds in the process.

I switched it off properly and removed the power lead, waited a few seconds and plugged it back in. It made a bit of a fizzing sound again as it went in. Unplugged and reseated it a couple of times more and it made a bit of sound then, too.

This has happened a couple of times before, but I didn't realise what was causing it as it happened when I was plugging in a nearby SCART lead, for example.

Now, I've no idea whether this is sounding the death knell for the TV but it doesn't sound good. The TV is 3 years and 1 month old, and I have a 5-year warranty from John Lewis, so if it goes then I'm covered, but can anyone please let me know if they've come across this before and whether I'll be looking to get a replacement from John Lewis? (ooh, 3D LED telly? Hmm... possibly not in the same price range ;) )

Contact JL they will prob offer a fix. If they agree to replace the set it will likely be the Panasonic C3B VIERA Flat Screen TV - 2011 Plasma TV - TX-P42C3B - Specification - Panasonic UK & Ireland

Or you may be lucky and get a U30B, the C3 though is more likely as its a 768 set like the PX80. I don't know though you need to talk to them.

Dom Robinson

Contact JL they will prob offer a fix. If they agree to replace the set it will likely be the Panasonic C3B VIERA Flat Screen TV - 2011 Plasma TV - TX-P42C3B - Specification - Panasonic UK & Ireland

Or you may be lucky and get a U30B, the C3 though is more likely as its a 768 set like the PX80. I don't know though you need to talk to them.

Hi Scooby, thanks very much for your reply. I'll give them a shout. I'd need to go for a 37" set really, though, as 42" would be too big for my seating position and right next to it is my A/V stack which would fall over it a bigger telly came along ;)

I'll report back when I hear from them, ta.

Dom Robinson

I had an email from them on Sat, after I gave them a polite shove a day or two before, and before I could ring them this morning, I had a call and they're coming on Friday morning (well, 9am-1pm) to have a look at it. Will let you know how it goes.

JayCee

Distinguished Member

I switched it off properly and removed the power lead, waited a few seconds and plugged it back in. It made a bit of a fizzing sound again as it went in. Unplugged and reseated it a couple of times more and it made a bit of sound then, too

Before condemning the Tv try another IEC (Kettle connector) power lead if you have a spare...these often go faulty...also plug it into the rear of the set before switching it on at the mains socket.

Dom Robinson

Before condemning the Tv try another IEC (Kettle connector) power lead if you have a spare...these often go faulty...also plug it into the rear of the set before switching it on at the mains socket.

Thanks for that. I have a spare from an old PC and I've just swapped it over. Plugging it in with the mains off resulted in no fizzy sound. I'll admit that just to test it in comparison with what I got before, I unplugged and reseated it a few times with the mains on, and while sometimes I got a very slight single 'fizz', if you like, once I got a hint of the same fizzing as before. Of course, that could just be the nature of electricity now that I'm aware the old cable could be at fault.

What I might do is cancel this Friday's appointment and say I'll give it a month or two to see how things go, and if they end up like I had in my original post then I'll give them another shout. However, I won't cancel the appt until Thurs afternoon, just in case ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom