Panasonic TH37PX70B 1080i or 1080p?

R

reidos

Hi all,

I just took delivery of my Panasonic TH37PX70B which I bought from RGB Direct. I'm really impressed with the TV so far but I have a question about the screen resolution:

The TH37PX70B is advertised as 1080p but when I tried to setup my Xbox 360 to display 1080p it wouldn't let me. It would only let me select 1080i.

Has anyone any idea why that might be? Could there be something wrong with the TV?

LDR

It only supports 1080i AFAIK.

70s_kid

It's actually a 720p set.

The 1080p gobbledegook in the specification is purely there to confuse people in my opinion.

Still looks like a great TV though (I'll be ordering mine soon I think), and from what I've read 1080p resolution isn't necessary on anything below 50".

Jonstone

The new PX70 range sets have a 1080p processing chip so it can accept a 1080p signal even though it then has to downscale it which can have advantages with some material over 1080i

So yes your tv can handle a 1080p signal over hdmi but I am not sure about its other inputs which may be limited to 1080i

pjskel

Correct Jonstone - 1080p over HDMI (HDCP protocol limits it to this method) and 1080i over Component.
As the 360 doesn't have HDMI, you're limited to a TV with no HDCP handicap (older and rare HD TV) or importing one of the new 360's which does have HDMI - or waiting until it's released in the UK later this year, probably shortly before Halo 3, if not at the same time. Spectacular double whammy potentially.

madfiddler

Correct Jonstone - 1080p over HDMI (HDCP protocol limits it to this method) and 1080i over Component.
As the 360 doesn't have HDMI, you're limited to a TV with no HDCP handicap (older and rare HD TV) or importing one of the new 360's which does have HDMI - or waiting until it's released in the UK later this year, probably shortly before Halo 3, if not at the same time. Spectacular double whammy potentially.

only rumours about xbox 360 with hdmi and other things...although of course as recent dasjboard update added 1080p support it would back the rumour up.....

read someone else was using VGA input from 360 on this set and setting pc input on tv to WXGA with good results....not sure what res they used though

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
They officially announced it a week ago. HDMI that is. Other things not so much, apart from a 120GB drive.

VGA certainly a good option, but 720p over component looks great too. Wouldn't bother with 1080i.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom