Panasonic TH37PX600 problems with screen burn

johnnyskullhead

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am interested in Panasonic TH37PX600 but Iam concerned about screen burn because my kids watch a lot of disney on sky and its the great logo on screen all the time has this set got any processes to avoid screen burn
many thanks for any help
chers Johnnyskullhead:lease:

no mate sorry i have not even bought the telly i was asking if the telly took precautions to stop screen burn ???:lease:

just put it in cinema mode and watch whatever u want..:)

The Panasonic is pretty bullet proof. For the first 200 hours, you jsut lower the contrast and brightness and put it in Cinema mode, and then after that it should eb fine :)

No, it doesn't.

Although burn is rare on Panasonics due to low vulnerability and low contrast levels, they aren't 'bullet proof'. Despite the claims of some owners and retailers on these forums to tempt you to buy one, none of them will replace a burned screen and put their money where their mouth is. One retailer claimed you could leave a static screen on for days thus rendering the LCD alternative useless, when I phoned up to ask if he would replace any damage from such use, he politely said no way...!

I've never had any retention or burn from my Panasonic plasmas, and watch plenty of logo-laden channels, though...

The PX600 is as ash said quite bullet proof, my housemate left a DVD menu on for 4 hours one morning and although there were traces of retention for the next few hours it had gone by the evening.

Out of interest, does the disney channel keep the logo on even during adverts?

Michael Tonge said:
The PX600 is as ash said quite bullet proof, my housemate left a DVD menu on for 4 hours one morning and although there were traces of retention for the next few hours it had gone by the evening.

I don't think there are adverts on the Disney channel.

the logo on that channel is rediculous! It must cover about 15% of the screen!

luckily, my boy hasn't got into any of the stuff on that channel - yet.

i would recommend you do as the other posters have suggested - put the tv into cinema mode, drop the settings down below 50% and just keep an eye on it - but try not to get too paranoid about it :rolleyes:

Michael Tonge said:

Ditto here. My wife let my 3 year old do the same and I ended up giving her (my wife) a verbal lashing over it - a few hours later the retention had dissipated and I was apologising!

thank you all for replying
still not alayed all my fears up to this weekend was going for lcd then this telly caught my eye now i dont know what to do ??????

The image retention/screen burn issue is always a real concern with plasmas but if it helps I'd spent 6 full months assessing big screen tellys before plumping for the PX600 in June. For me, in the end, the quality of the image on the PX60/PX600 plasma far outweighed that of any lcd and this was then bolstered and confirmed by magazine and owners reviews. The last one I read (4 weeks ago) put the TH-37PX600 as the best telly on the market at the moment with a full 5/5 rating and I don't see anything's changed since.

This is always a matter of personal preference but if you did decide to go for the PX600 I would be surprised if in the end you weren't completely satisfied that you'd made the right choice because in my mind this telly is awesome.

If it helps further, I have been trawling this and other AV forums for info on screen burn for months and not yet come across anyone who's PX60/PX600 panel has succumbed to screen burn; a degree of temporary image retention yes, but not screen burn. I have seen many posts from users complaining of screen burn on other brands and others exclaiming their disappointment at the quality of the image on their new lcds though.

Also I've taken note of how many people who have previously owned Panasonic plasmas have returned to the brand for an updated model - it seems that once you've bought one you're hooked....there's got to be a reason for it and I can't seem to pin it to a drug addiction! Actually, customer loyalty seems to be something Panasonic are good at. Conversely, Sony seem to be good at haemorrhaging their customer following.

Agree with every word except that if you listen to everything through an amp and don't need the SD card, go for the PX60 with a 5 year warranty through JL for abot £1400.

(Once you've bought it, play Hero through an upscaling DVD player and tie you jaw up with string - it's rude to drool!)

Been using a panasonic panel (PWD8) for the last 6 months or so.. just set the contrast down from the max as its initially set. My kids watch cbeebies and the other various kids channels all the the time I have had zero retention issues so far.. to actually do damage you would need to leave it one for days imho.

Matt

I'm panasonic plasma owner since feb 05. My first plasma did around 8000 hours in 1 year and 3 months and most of the time used by my 4 year old daughter or wife.

Weekends / holiday period they use to watch the same channel for long hours and never had a problem of image retention (panasonic PW7). For me the term *bullet proof* is acceptable :)

I have a TH42PX60 and I do notice a bit of screen retention after 30 minutes of gaming. The worst example was playing Streetfighter 2 on the xbox. I noticed the colours on the game were quite vibrant even though I had it on a 'Normal' picture setting but continued playing anyway.

Anyway, after 30 mins, I switched off the xbox and noticed the life gauge bars from the game had left an outline / afterimage. I immediately put the TV onto an untuned channel (snowy picture) and left it for 30 mins. After careful examination, all traces of the after image had vanished.

But last night, I was playing a different game for about 20 mins. Switched off the game and checked for retention. I noticed that the life bars from SF2 had reappeared !! Ran the snowy picture again and the image then disappeared.

Slightly irritating but the trade off is that the pictures are excellent despite the issue with screen retention; something which I will put up with :)

So would you advise ppl to avoid the plasma if they intend to play xbox 360 on it ?

I like what I am hearing about his models pic quality but the issue of screen burn and/or image retention is in my mind a bit.

Hi
I have had my TH37PX600 for a week now and am still well pleased i was really paranoid about the burn issue after reading some of the posts on here but i think if you put it in cinema mode and reduce the setting to around 50% i don't think you will get any problems .My 2 kids watch the disney channel and the logo moves or goes while the ads are on plus they only really have it on for an hour at a time which i think i'm right in saying is no where near long enough to cause any burn issues.
Mike:thumbsup:

From what nomisuf said playing on a 360 with this set does cause problems though so I am unsure whether to purchase this one or the Tosh 37wl66.

I do not particularly want to run a snowy picture after I play COD2 on the 360 for a couple of hours every time.

Hmm....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom