Panasonic TH37PW7B and TH37PWD7 differences?

flexiondotorg

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you're thinking of the PHD7 there Dempsey. The PWD7 is the commercial panel I think for use by stores etc in displays. Don't know if there's a difference in quality or connectivity though?

David said:
I think you're thinking of the PHD7 there Dempsey. The PWD7 is the commercial panel I think for use by stores etc in displays. Don't know if there's a difference in quality or connectivity though?

PW7 is out now, PWD7 isnt due for release until at least later in December or early January. Almost identical bar the "rating" which if im not wrong refers to the electromagnetic emissions or something like that. The PW7 is the consumer product and classed as Grade A and the PWD7 is classed as Grade B so more suited to a commercial environment :)

AV Sales have been advertising the PWD7 for a while now but you're probably right. Sorry if I've confused things.

Thanks for the feedback.

So in terms of display technology they are the same? I realise the PWD7 is the 'commercial' version, but could this mean the attention to silent operation might not be as good? i.e. Fan noise.

Anyone else have any comparitive info?

remix_88 said:
Thanks for the feedback.

So in terms of display technology they are the same? I realise the PWD7 is the 'commercial' version, but could this mean the attention to silent operation might not be as good? i.e. Fan noise.

Anyone else have any comparitive info?

Unsure on the noise factor but to be honest I think a fair few people on here have the PWD6 screen which should compare in the same sort of way so can't be much wrong with the design as it seems quite popular :)

It's a little discouraging that no-one seems to be able to tell the exact differences that actually exist between the "Business" displays (PWD7) and the "Consumer" displays (PW7) - except for the obvious colour difference, though for instance the 42PWD7's exist in both charcoal and silver (aha - that I do know :rolleyes: ).

I've read about the Biz displays having dual digitizers vs single for the Consumer (I think), and maybe more colour tweakings on the Biz ones too. Other than that...??? :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the info. If the business models are as quiet as the consumer models then I would be most happy with one. My connectivity requirements a minimal, I just want a display device with no tuners, speakers, etc...

What puzzles me is if the business model has dual digitizers why is it cheaper that the consumer model? There must be some other significant difference(s)?

Is it just me or is it generally quite difficult to get preceise equipment specs out of Panasonic? I have checked the website and even have several 2005 catalogs and still can't find the answers am looking for :-( Compare that with my online research for Pioneer, Denon and Onkyo and I have got all my answers (more or less) from their websites.

remix_88 said:
...What puzzles me is if the business model has dual digitizers why is it cheaper that the consumer model? There must be some other significant difference(s)? ...
I think it is something to do with the fact that consumers are easier to fleece than industry in general.

Another example but in a totally unrelated field: My car uses a part called a MAS (Mass Air Sensor). Cost for the part for my car, approx £250. Now compare that with the cost for the identical part for a commercial van from the same manufacturer, approx £80. :mad: Rip off.

S.

Don't know about the UK/Europe Models but the differences between the "PW" and "PWD" in the US were:

FCC Class :Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulates the levels of electromagnetic emissions
from a device, to ensure those emissons do not exceed certain levels that can interfere with radio and television
transmission. Equipment used in commercial settings is considered Class "A". Class "B" devices are those
intended for home use.

Consumer (PW) = Class B : More Protection against EMI (Electromagnetic Interference )
Commercial (PWD) = Class A - A bit less protection but fine for home use.

Connectors :

Consumer (PW) = RCA
Commercial (PWD) = BNC

Warranty :

Consumer (PW) = In-Home
Commercial (PWD) = Carry-in

Advanced Picture Settings :

Consumer (PW) = No
Commercial (PWD) = Yes

Connections wise, all boards fit either. So forget about BNC or RCA, and the UK warranty is all the same too, as far as I understand it. I canot see a difference in the EMI spec apart from the actual label, with both manuals in front of me!

BruZZi, thanks a lot for the information, MAW thanks for the add'l details. Not sure we can assume there are no more (or less) differences between the two types of displays in Europe than in the US, but I will for now. Very useful piece of data, looks like the differences may not be that big... :)

Prolly the only difference of real significance (image quality wise anyway) is the "Advanced Picture Settings" on the PWDs, just wondering if they are very likely to be of great use in a "classic" HC usage...

So I guess that would make for a question to any Panny PWD (Commercial grade) owner: do you make use of any of its "Advanced Picture Settings", and if you do then which tweakings and to what effect on the picture?

TIA,

he's saying be cautious of the advance settings - you'll mess it up unless your name is gordon. record everything that you do.

Alex

Thanks for all the extra information guys, I hope this thread will be as useful to other as it for to me.

It is interesting that the commercial model has additional display settings, this alone is leading me in the direction of getting the commercial model because I am factoring in Gordon (ISF calibration) to my budget :) I have already passed on his details to my farther in law who is looking to have his 43" rear projection Toshiba given a tune up.

guli said:
he's saying be cautious of the advance settings - you'll mess it up unless your name is gordon. record everything that you do.

Alex
oh, I see, I guess it's MAW's way of answering my question by saying "not recommended to touch them unless you're a Pro"... ;)

Well since I don't plan on buying or even renting video calibration systems that would eventually make use of the Advanced Settings (I'll stick to THX or maybe DVE stuff), and since no-one else responded so far, looks like from a classic HC use perspective the PW7's and PWD7's are practically the same then.

Maybe the only real issue is the "Carry-in" warranty thing with the Commercial displays, but I guess this is country and maybe shop dependent (some HC shops offer on-site warranty regardless of manuf. policy).

Looks like we've got that one (Pana PWx's vs PWDx's) sorted out, right? :thumbsup:
Or am I being a lil' optimistic...? :rolleyes:

He probably meant the "SERVICE MENU" . Not to be confused with the "ADVANCED PICTURE SETTINGS".

The "APS" (called advanced settings) is now part of the "PICTURE MENU" . You can do adjustments to the black and white levels, white balance for light/dark blue and red areas. Great for those who like to tweak the picture a little bit more. :smashin:

And just like the regular settings, there's a blue square (Not sure about the color on the 7th generation models since the design was changed) on each one of the modes showing the default setting.

Well, It's not difficult to figure it out since all default values on the "APS" are set to 0 (zero) - Gamma ( S Curve = 0) - AGC (off). :)

The "SERVICE MENU" on the other hand should be definitively used with caution.

The 7th generation models now come with a default factory mode (called shipping condition). So you can reset all the values to the original settings. I'm still trying to find out if that also works for changes made to the "SERVICE MENU" .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom